Bug or tutorial error? (Scrivener 3)

Redfox
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:22 am Post

Hi guys

Just bought and installed my upgrade this morning - yay! However...

I'm going through the "What's New in Scrivener 3" tutorial sections, and I think I've found an error in the "Section Types" document. I followed the instructions for renaming and adding section types, then I got to this paragraph:

Defining Default Section Types by Structure

There’s a problem, however: this document is shown as being a “Chapter” rather than a “Section”.

No, it's not. I checked that I have "Structure-based" still ticked, and tried reordering the types, but the dropdown in Inspector stays resolutely at "Section" in grey italics. I'm not sure if this is a bug in the program or an error in the tutorial (or maybe I missed a step?), but I thought I'd let you know.
Elizabethan fantasy novels The Alchemist of Souls, The Merchant of Dreams and The Prince of Lies by me, Anne Lyle, out now from Angry Robot Books!

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:36 am Post

Oops, looks like a last-minute change I made to section types in the tutorial has rendered that section a little... wrong. Can you please try downloading this version of the tutorial:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/user_ ... pdated.zip

Follow the "Section Types" document in that. It should now make more sense (I'll update 3.0 on the site with this new tutorial).

Thanks.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

sc
scshrugged

Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:20 pm Post

KB wrote:Oops, looks like a last-minute change I made to section types in the tutorial has rendered that section a little... wrong. Can you please try downloading this version of the tutorial:

Follow the "Section Types" document in that. It should now make more sense (I'll update 3.0 on the site with this new tutorial).

Thanks.

I've not compared the .scriv files. Does this include the entire tutorial with the emended "Section Types" document?

After you update on the site, will reinstalling "over the top" overwrite the old tutorial?

KB
Site Admin

Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:47 pm Post

Yes, that's the entire tutorial just with the updated Tutorial. I've already updated the DMG on the site, actually. When you first choose the tutorial from the Help menu, it asks where to save it. If you want to create a fresh tutorial in Scrivener, you have to delete the tutorial you saved before selecting it from the Help menu again, otherwise it just opens the tutorial you saved.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

sc
scshrugged

Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:54 pm Post

Thank you and congrats.
I'll grab the new DMG.

Redfox

Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:00 am Post

KB wrote:Oops, looks like a last-minute change I made to section types in the tutorial has rendered that section a little... wrong. Can you please try downloading this version of the tutorial:

Thanks.

Thanks, Keith, I'll check it out!
Elizabethan fantasy novels The Alchemist of Souls, The Merchant of Dreams and The Prince of Lies by me, Anne Lyle, out now from Angry Robot Books!

Ma
MarkA9

Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:14 pm Post

I have experienced the same issue in this section:
Great! Except… It’s going to be a pain to change that setting for every single text document in the binder. Fortunately, we don’t have to. Let’s change it back again:
1. Once more, click on the section type pop-up.
2. Change the setting to “Structure-Based”. (It will change back to “Chapter” in italicised text.)

I downloaded the upgraded tutorial, but it hasn't changed. Perhaps I'm doing something incorrectly. Help, please!

KB
Site Admin

Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:14 pm Post

When you downloaded the tutorial, did you then open it in Scrivener? If you just go to Help > Interactive Tutorial, that will still open the old tutorial.
All the best,
Keith