Scrivener 3 and LaTeX compile options

el
elw2u16
Platform: Mac

Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:49 pm Post

Hi,
I've updated to Scrivener 3 and am now having misgivings. I have a custom thesis template from Scrivener 2 that I imported, that had custom LaTeX header, begin document and footer entries.

I can't see LaTeX Options in the compile dialogue. For the metadata, it says there should be a Metadata document at the beginning of the Draft section. There isn't.

If I compile using Multimarkdown -> Latex, it produces the three mmd-scrivcustom*.tex files but only the footer file is included in my LaTeX document. I have no idea where it's getting the information to create these files from...

Has anyone else gone through this? Should I just go back to Scrivener 2? I'm using MMD 6 as well, as I thought I'd get the pain of upgrading done early on in my research career rather than while trying to write my thesis...

thanks in advance,
Emma

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:20 pm Post

Fundamentally the answer to this question is going to be the same as it will be for anyone who has just upgraded: compile settings that relate to the formatting of your document will not be automatically updated along with the project, because in most cases they will need to be adjusted to work best with v3. That is probably less true of MMD->LaTeX projects than someone using fonts and all that, though. I updated the old Scapple user manual from v2 with hardly any adjustment to the settings.

What you need to do is first import your old settings as a Compile Format:
  1. Open Compile.
  2. Click the Gear menu button.
  3. Select "Import Scrivener 2 Preset…`
You should see your settings from the original project. Once you select them, the compile format designer will open, and you should feel pretty much at home in the UI here—it’s all quite similar to the old compile interface when you are working with formats. You’ll find LaTeX Options, and you should find your preamble is as you left it.

For Section Layouts, you should definitely go through the interactive tutorial’s steps on Section Types and Compile however. Much has changed with how compile format settings are applied to projects. There is a stronger separation between content and format in Scrivener now. You could probably puzzle out the automatically generated section layouts though, and get your project compiling rather quickly.

Since you mention you don’t have any looming deadlines, I’d go ahead and stick with pressing forward with the new release. There are certainly some new things to learn—but unless you had a really involved Formatting pane setup you should be okay. Like I say, with MMD and LateX we outsource much of our actual formatting and structural design to these systems. One can get away with very simple compile settings, and that means less learning up front.

Oh, and by the way the v3 Scapple user manual is already available for download on our user manual download page. I’ll have the Scrivener .scriv ready soon as well. Together they will demonstrate two different approaches for MMD/LaTeX:

• Scrivener: very heavy use of Scrivener’s new compile features, particularly styles and section layouts.
  • Scapple: a basic approach to using Scrivener’s compile settings—sections are largely just title + text, with the rest being handled by .tex and some Replacements.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

el
elw2u16

Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:08 am Post

Thanks, I went through the interactive tutorial. Does that mean I need to add Custom metadata entries for my LaTeX options header/begin document/footer entries? If so, does it matter what I call them? It's really not clear to me how all this is supposed to work...

The main reason I'm using Scrivener is the fact I can combine it with MMD/LaTeX, and I know from searching that many other people use it the same why. I'm a bit baffled why the new version makes it so much more difficult to setup LaTeX options...

Emma

AmberV

Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:26 pm Post

I don’t quite follow—are you saying you imported your settings from Scrivener 2 into a version 3 format, using the instructions I provided above, and your custom LaTeX settings are missing? There would ordinarily be no need to mess with metadata unless you wish to work that way.

In fact nothing has substantially changed between versions for this kind of stuff.
Ioa Petra'ka

el
elw2u16

Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:31 pm Post

No, sorry, I hadn't worked out that you could edit the formats by double-clicking on them - just couldn't see where to find the LaTeX options after I'd imported them.

I should have enough to get on with now. The new version does look good, and I can see the advantages of a lot of the changes, just a bit of a learning curve :-)

thanks,
Emma

AmberV

Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:59 pm Post

Great! By the way the MMD chapter (21) in the user manual has been updated with some of the new features, when you have time to look into them. I myself have had a lot of success with the style feature with LaTeX.
Ioa Petra'ka

kewms

Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:56 pm Post

You might also want to have a look at the upgrade demonstration project Keith supplied, which is linked from here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41270

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team