Numbered list - lines not breaking after each item

el
elw2u16
Platform: Mac

Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:56 am Post

Hi,

This is my first post here so apologies if I do anything wrong. I've had a search and can't find a similar issue. I've used Scrivener with MMD and LaTeX to write a Masters dissertation and a few smaller documents and generally managed to sort out any problems. I'm currently setting up a PhD thesis template, and one of the sections has a numbered list.

I've tried using the built-in Scrivener numbered list and also a MMD numbered list (just putting 1., 2. before each line). I compile using MultiMarkdown -> LaTeX with the section not set to 'As-Is', and use TexStudio to generate a PDF from the LaTeX.

The numbered list displays as a piece of text without a line break after each item, so as

1. Some text here 2. More text here 3. You get the picture I hope

not

1. Some text here
2. More text here
3. You get the picture I hope

I could embed LaTeX into the Scrivener document to produce a list, but this seems like a thing that should work in Scrivener/MMD so wonder if anyone had any suggestions.

Thanks,
Emma

nontroppo

Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:36 am Post

Scrivener 2 or Scrivener 3? Scrivener 3 allows you to use standard Scrivener RTF lists and it auto-convert them to MMD lists (via a compile setting), but lets assume you are using Scrivener 2. I just tested in Scrivener 2 and MMD6 and it seems to be working here (I always have a blank line before and after the list):

Screen Shot 2017-11-28 at 18.34.38_SMALL.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-28 at 18.34.38_SMALL.png (25.85 KiB) Viewed 148 times

results in:

Code: Select all

\begin{itemize}
\item{} This is a Markdown list.

\item{} Another item here.

\end{itemize}

Ea mea diam facete democritum, no quidam facilisis dissentias vix\footnote{Test footnote B}. Ea pri minim lobortis, praesent neglegentur eos at, pri an denique honestatis consequuntur.

\begin{enumerate}
\item{} Numbered list.

\item{} Some more here.

\end{enumerate}

Are you sure you are using returns and not line breaks?

el
elw2u16

Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:28 am Post

Hi,

Many thanks for your quick response. Sorry, yes I'm using Scrivener 2.8.1.2 and Multimarkdown 5.4.0 (I think, at least that's what the command-line version is).

I suspect that using the Scrivener list to start with did something weird to the page, even deleting all text and retrying didn't work. I deleted the whole section and started again using the MMD method and am now getting the correct \begin{enumerate} syntax appearing.

Thanks again,
Emma