Apple Tab Span

Br
Briar Kit
Platform: Mac

Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:33 am Post

Hi

Running Scrivener 2.8 on OS X 10.11.6 and using Marked 2.5.9, I get the following for a nested list.

Scrivener28.jpg

Running the same file on Scrivener 2.8.1.2 on macOS 10.12.2 and using Marked 2.5.9, I get the following for a nested list.

Scrivener2812.png

As you can see, the nested tabs are getting converted to a span class called Apple-tab-span, and Marked is unable to create the proper nested elements.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Account closed January 2017

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:37 am Post

What is the method you are using to combine Marked and Scrivener together? I have tried three methods and they all come up clean:

1. Displaying the active editor content as a temporary file with a Keyboard Maestro plugin. Specifically, the script uses pbpaste to pipe copied rich text from Scrivener into a plain-text file in /tmp and then has Marked open that file.
  2. Opening the .scriv directly with Marked.
  3. Opening a compiled .mmd file with Marked.
    • And this is of course the test document…
    • As well as the forum post. :)

Click to enlarge.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Br
Briar Kit

Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:23 pm Post

AmberV wrote:What is the method you are using to combine Marked and Scrivener together?

Hi Ioa

Thanks for the reply. I am opening the Scrivener project either from Marked (File > Open), or by opening the Scrivener project and dropping the project icon on to Marked in the dock. This allows me to preview the MMD while writing, splitting the screen with Scrivener on one side and Marked on the other.

Attached is a plain-text file (see zip). If I open this in Marked (outside of Scrivener), it looks like this:

plaintext.png

If I drag the same file into Scrivener, or if I copy and paste the text into a new file inside Scrivener, in Marked it renders like this:

scrivener.png

I have tried this with several projects. They all render in the same way.

I am also attaching the Scrivener project in the zip below.

Archive.zip

Mysterious, but given that the file works outside of Scrivener, I assume (perhaps wrongly) that the issue / setting is somehow awry inside Scrivener. The same Scrivener file renders fine if opened in Scrivener 2.8 and Marked running on OS X 10.11.6.

With thanks

Br
Briar Kit

Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:50 pm Post

An FYI for the thread and for anyone else facing the same issue…

I asked Brett at Marked about this.

Brett wrote: Yes, it looks like Scrivener is now inserting spans to preserve tabs. Is there possibly a setting in Scrivener to disable such a feature?

http://support.markedapp.com/discussion ... acos-10122

I can’t find a setting to change.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled both Scrivener and Marked. I have the reset the PRAM and SMC on the MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015).

I don’t have another Mac running Sierra to try this on.

AmberV

Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:05 pm Post

I've posted my response to the Marked support thread as I think Brett needs to look over the data I found. I'm not quite sure what the problem is, other than having found the trigger.

For now you can avoid it by resetting the kerning to default in your default formatting.
Ioa Petra'ka

Br
Briar Kit

Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:15 pm Post

Hi Ioa

Thank you so much for sleuthing that one out. I've reset the kerning and the bells have tolled.

Very grateful for your help, speed, and kindness. Wish I had figured it out.

Indebted.

Festives wishes

Br
Briar Kit

Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:15 am Post

To anyone with the same issue, Brett at Marked says that it will be fixed in the next app update.

http://support.markedapp.com/discussion ... acos-10122

AmberV

Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:33 am Post

No worries!
Ioa Petra'ka