TeXDown

mn
mnott
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:52 pm Post

OK, understood. I'm going to implement something around that, but before, I'm rewriting TeXDown from ground up. It's getting messy, and I need a cleaner approach. I've started an object oriented version of it, which once done will allow me to add more functionality much more easily. It is already out there, as a separate branch, but so far entirely dysfunctional. Should you be into Perl programming, you're welcome to contribute.

mn
mnott

Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:21 am Post

Hi all,

I've just released a completely rewritten version of TeXDown. You can grab it here:

https://github.com/mnott/texdown

Most importantly, this gets away from a pretty convoluted script that I had hacked together over some nights, and allows the program to be extended. In the course of that, I've made many things configurable, such as the parser that you can use - instead of using my own idea about a markup language around LaTeX, just learn from and write your own parser.cfg.

Next on my list, time permitting, is snapshot handling.

Feel free to comment.

mn
mnott

Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:38 am Post

Hi all,

I've just recorded a screen cast on the academic workflow that I use, centered around LaTeX, Scrivener, BibDesk, and TeXDown.

Have fun:

https://youtu.be/86rnBMz6XnU

nontroppo
Platform: Mac

Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:01 pm Post

Very nice Mattias! Actually there are lots of workflow tips even if we don't use your exact set of tools. I use Quicksilver for what you use popclip for but your popclip use was very smooth. Merging the reference metadata back into the PDF file is totally cool, I'll have to a look at your PDFMeta[1] to get how you do that!!! I use Bookends as my reference manager, which is Applescript scriptable and can drive scripts using Quicksilver, but I assume you are use BetterTouchTool? 8) What exact advantage does this bring for your workflow?

[1] https://github.com/mnott/pdfmeta

mn
mnott

Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:31 am Post

Hi nontroppo,

a bit late since I didn't notice it included a question. Now first on the PDFMeta, the basic requirement that I had to include the metadata (title, author, etc.) into the PDF file itself was that at that time I was using DevonThink, and that in turn uses the metadata to show authors, etc. I went away from DevonThink for other reasons; I keep thinking that Christian does a great job there, but having all files in an unpredictable location just does not fit my workflow. I prefer to know what I have, and where. Which in a way is sort of a meta-issue I also have with Scrivener, but to a much lesser extent, as Scrivener has a very open metadata file (.scrivx).

Yet I still found that it is easier for the indexer if I put that explicit metadata into the PDF, and I've made a habit of doing it every time I import a file to BibDesk.

Notice that PDFMeta is really not a huge contribution from my side. Rather, it utilizes the excellent iText library from Bruno Lowagie. In fact it uses the older, open source version, as there was quite a story going on on Bruno's side where he re-published a now non-free version of the library for reasons of his own. The new version give only very limited features that I am missing in the old version, hence I stick with the open source one.

On the question about QuickSilver vs. BTT, I think it is a matter of preference. I very much like BTT, and use it all over the place. I have only briefly tried QuickSilver, and did not get to use it really. It may well be very great in its own right.

I don't use Bookends so far, as I see no need to do so. But then, on the other hand, I also don't really use the referencing abilities of Scrivener either, as I did not get around to make use of them; (213)[#Nontroppo:2016] is totally sufficient for me. Perhaps I'm missing out on something, but I think I'll wait for version 3 to re-evaluate that.

The next thing on my list is clearly versioning / snapshots. I've been working for a bit on my thesis now, and I have like 2000 snapshot files that were auto generated - or like 30 MB. That doesn't sound like a lot, but already Scrivener gets slow at closing, when it does its backup.

Best,

M

nontroppo
Platform: Mac

Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:41 pm Post

Hey, I saw that JabRef supports metadata and they use an Apache Java library to handle the metadata:

http://help.jabref.org/en/XMP

https://pdfbox.apache.org/1.8/cookbook/ ... adata.html

You're not really missing out much regarding citations. I prefer Bookends because it is great at managing and searching, and the developer is approachable. But I only use ⌘Y from Scrivener and use Pandoc citations [@smith98] for most things now. Bookends has great format editor that makes tweaking reference styles really easy, but I've sacrificed that for Pandoc's flexibility.

mn
mnott

Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:09 pm Post

Hmm.

My markdown has this format for citations:

Code: Select all

[#Nott:2016]    => \citep{Nott:2016}
      [p#Nott:2016]   => \citep{Nott:2016}
      [a#Nott:2016]   => \citeauthor{Nott:2016}
      [c#Nott:2016]   => \cite{Nott:2016}
      [t#Nott:2016]   => \citet{Nott:2016}
      [y#Nott:2016]   => \citeyear{Nott:2016}
      [yp#Nott:2016]   => (\citeyear{Nott:2016})
      (20-30)[yp#Nott:2016] => (\citeyear[20-30]{Nott:2016})
      [i#Nott:2016]         => \citep[ibd.]{Nott:2016}
      [ypi#Nott:2016]       => (\citeyear[ibd.]{Nott:2016})

So Cmd-Y just opens BibDesk for me, but doesn't copy/insert the actual citation. That's why I have my other hotkey which then asks me a bunch of very often used forms, as shown in the video. I don't put the @, but if you think that's more consistent with PanDoc, I might change my parser configuration file. I'm not using PanDoc anyhow, but someone else might. I like the subtle approach wrt what you say about the Bookends developer. I think I'll check it out.