Save as plain text?

gr
greay
Platform: Mac

Fri May 27, 2016 9:48 pm Post

I've read all this about how Scrivener "supports" markdown (or MultiMarkdown, rather), but everything I've read talks about importing MMD and compiling, and the finer points of markup with MMD.

But it looks like, no matter what, Scrivener still uses RTF internally. Is it actually possible to tell Scrivener to save files as plain text?

Br
Briar Kit

Fri May 27, 2016 10:16 pm Post

Hi

You can compile or export/save as plain text. Internally, files are stored as RTF.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34304&p=213941&hilit=MMD+plain#p213941

Best

Briar Kit
Account closed January 2017

ma
marcoiac

Fri May 27, 2016 11:50 pm Post

Early on, the only way to work using iPad or iPhone on your Scrivener projects was by syncing with an external folder and sync files as text. iOS for a while had no RTF, only text editors ran on iOS. So, yes, it's always been there

gr
greay

Sat May 28, 2016 9:39 am Post

You can compile or export/save as plain text. Internally, files are stored as RTF.

Ah, that's a shame. While I do prefer working in plain text,a bigger concern is version control. While diffs are (mostly) legible with RTF, oftentimes invisible changes can mark a large chunk of text as changed. Being able to actually store files in a plain text format would be vastly preferable, but this isn't a show-stopper per se.

Early on, the only way to work using iPad or iPhone on your Scrivener projects was by syncing with an external folder and sync files as text. iOS for a while had no RTF, only text editors ran on iOS. So, yes, it's always been there

Hmm, this is worth looking into. It's not ideal, but it might work?

kewms

Sat May 28, 2016 4:12 pm Post

How do you define "work?"

Scrivener uses RTF format internally. You can extract plain text versions of those files as needed by a variety of methods, but re-importing back into Scrivener will convert them back to RTF. Whether that causes a problem for you really depends on what you are trying to do, and how critical Scrivener is to your workflow.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

gr
greay

Sat May 28, 2016 8:13 pm Post

I'm starting to use Scrivener to collect all my notes and writings for a large project. Basically, using Scrivener to write a design document. I want to keep the Scrivener project under source control, like everything else related to the project. RTF doesn't really play nicely with that, unfortunately. Exporting the plain text versions really doesn't suit my purposes in this respect, because it's the project itself that I want to keep, not the exported text.

It "works" well enough as is; the diffs are a little more difficult to read and I don't know what I'm going to do if there's ever a conflict, but it's still far better than a binary format. Syncing to an external plain-text folder might be better for my purposes, if that means the "canonical" version of most of the text in the project is plain text. But I haven't had time to play around with that, yet.