Scrivener - MMD 3 - Latex: A beginner's guide

Mr
MrGruff

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:03 am Post

Thanks, I'll check those out: I am working (slowly) on a second edition.

Venares
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:32 pm Post

Hello,

you have written a really nice guide!

Maybe it is worth to add to the "Extras" section an alternative to the "MultiMarkDown Composer" there is a open source program called nvAlt which also has got a MMD live preview - although it is not as powerful as the Composer it might come in handy for beginner needs - and it is free of charge.

See: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/36277/nvalt

Edit: Another idea for section 3.5 Footnotes: Instead of using the MMD footnote tags you can use Scriveners "Add a footnote…" button - it will be recognized and transformed in a Latex \footnote{} command via MMD export.

Venares
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:34 am Post

MrGruff wrote:
How about this: rather than having a guide as a PDF, how about a Scrivener project which is ready to compile, just add MMD and Tex. The initial setup instructions would be in the first few documents, which would not be selected for compile.

I like this idea. In fact, that's exactly what I was looking for when I ended up here!

Ok - this is not a project but it is my format for "Compile" from MMD to Latex. Be aware that I do not use the MMD-Meta data. Instead of this I use the Latex document class called "Custom". There you find all my Latex presets (not all by me - some are copied from somewehre in the Internet.) Maybe this is a start for you to play around with Latex and MMD and Scrivener. For my workflow this "Compile Format" is quite good.

Please be aware to use this with caution - I will not offer any guarantee or reliable support. :wink:
But feel free to ask if there are any problems - I am still learning, too.
Attachments
MMD to Latex (export).plist.zip
(5.76 KiB) Downloaded 273 times

Ma
Macbeth
Platform: Mac

Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:53 am Post

Hello,

I would like to use Scrivener to export into Latex via MMD ! But i can't find ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/mmd

I can find ~/Library/tex but no MMD ?

I'm on a mac... I used MacTeX to install TeX... I am really lost. I wan't to precise that i did follow the guide and had installed MMD-Mac-installer and MMD-Support-Mac

thank you

Mr
MrGruff

Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:46 am Post

It took me a while to figure this out, but, basically, you have to create the folders yourself.

So, in your user Library folder* create a new folder texmf (if it doesn't exist – I can't remember from whether you'll find that one or not). Then in texmf create a new folder tex. Then in tex create a new folder latex. Finally in latex create a new folder mmd.

Then copy the latex support files into that mmd folder.

This is something I have made clearer in the draft of the second edition of my beginner's guide.

Also, the texmf folder is where you would create the bibtex/bib folders if you are using Bibtex for references.

*And if you can't see your library folder to start with: in Finder hold down Alt and select the Go menu. You can then see the Library and drag it to your favourites in the Finder window.

Ma
Macbeth

Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:57 pm Post

Not working... thank you for your quick answer !

Mr
MrGruff

Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:08 pm Post

Sorry, which part of that isn't working?

Creating the folders? Copying the support files? exporting from Scrivener or typesetting in latex?

Bo
BobCochran

Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:57 pm Post

Thank you for posting the guide. I downloaded it and will continue referring to it as I work with Scrivener. I'm new to Scrivener, Markdown, Latex, and MultiMarkdown. Whatever you decide to do for an updated version -- keep the grumpy badger there, and perhaps include a few toads (smile.)

Bob

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:56 pm Post

To easily create the necessary directory, you can type this into Terminal:

Code: Select all

mkdir -p ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/mmd

The '-p' switch will tell mkdir to create any necessary directories all the way down the chain.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Mr
MrGruff

Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:06 am Post

mkdir -p ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/mmd

That is definitely going in the second edition (in progress, but stalled behind paying work).

br
brookter

Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:48 pm Post

MrGruff,

In the manual you mention that you have written an replacement for mmd-memoir-layout-that-only-Americans-use-because-they've-never-heard-of-a4.tex.

I was wondering what is in the replacement file: have you just changed the dimensions in the original, and if so, how did you work them out? Or is there something else?

I've added the option a4paper to the document class call in mmd-memoir-header, but clearly there is more to it than that otherwise you wouldn't have gone to the trouble of creating a new .tex input file.

Many thanks for any help,

David

Mr
MrGruff

Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:07 pm Post

Sorry, only just spotted this query.

I don't know if you need to do much to sort out A4 if you've declared it with the document class. The only thing I wanted to change was the margin settings, which in the standard 8.5x11 were too wide for my liking.

I renamed a copy of the mmd-memoir-layout-8.5x11.tex as mmd-memoir-layout-A4 and changed the following lines:

\setlrmarginsandblock{1in}{1in}{*}
\setulmarginsandblock{1in}{1in}{*}

And, of course, change the \input call in mmd-memoir-setup.

On reflection, the first thing to try would be commenting out the \input call for the mmd-memoir-layout-8.5x11.tex and seeing if the default A4 paper settings in the memoir class would do.

br
brookter

Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:27 pm Post

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try them out.

St
SteveThomasPol
Platform: Windows

Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:01 am Post

Hi there,

I'm reading the beginner's guide, and wondered where I should extract the LaTeX support files to when using Scrivener with Windows 8.1? On p. 3., the guide, written for Mac users, I assume, suggests saving the files to: ˜/Library/texmf/tex/latex/mmd.The closet file extension I can find in my Scrivener program files is: C:\Program Files (x86)\Scrivener\docformats\doc2any\lib.

Should the support files be saved alongside the other files in this folder, in their own separate sub-folder, or somewhere else entirely?

Steve

Mr
MrGruff

Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:02 pm Post

I've got mine in: c:\Local TeX Files\tex\latex\mmd

Depending on your set up you may need to define that folder as a known path for your Latex program.