Default Preferences to Emulate Plain-Text

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:14 am Post

I'm not sure where you read that, but we still support Leopard and Tiger. :) The only version that requires Snow Leopard is the Mac App Store version, but that's only because the App Store can't be loaded onto older computers in the first place, and you need that to install and authenticate it.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

sh
shel
Platform: Linux

Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:03 pm Post

Hi,

I've used Scrivener for several years but have just started in with markdown. My question is this: If I write in Markdown and then export as plain text, do I need to use the plain text .pref settings file created by AmberV? Or am I safe to use any font, etc. as I write?

Thanks! Love this forum, love Scrivener, starting to love markdown.

AmberV

Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:43 pm Post

Scrivener in general is very much about the concept of not having to stare at the font you’re going to be printing in. For rich text users that can mean the compile process changes the way the text looks. For plain text users of any sort (Markdown, LaTeX, HTML, or just plain old text) that is even more true. Text does not store any font information. Everything in a text file is right in front of you. There are no hidden codes or complicated things that can be messed up—it’s one of the advantages of the format.

So, if you are compiling to a plain-text document, or using one of the MultiMarkdown conversions, most everything done in the text editor with regards to formatting will be discarded. It’s what you type in that matters, and thus more than ever the appearance of text in Scrivener is entirely up to you.
Ioa Petra'ka

sh
shel
Platform: Linux

Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:19 pm Post

Thanks AmberV. That's what I thought. Nice to know I can modify your excellent plain text prefs without mucking things up for markup.

br
brett

Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:29 pm Post

I just made this suggestion in another post on the forum but it occurred to me that it might be appropriate here. Given the recent upsurge in interest in plain text, Markdown, etc. (at least among nerds), maybe that preference file could be converted to an official Scrivener template that could appear among the choices offered (like Fiction, Non Fiction, Recipes et al) that appear when you open a new project in Scrivener?

AmberV

Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:59 pm Post

Well project templates do not change application settings, which is all these are. You could override the text editor settings aspect of them, with a project's custom text formatting settings, but we stay away from doing that in the official project templates to avoid confusion.

But on the matter of having some useful MMD templates, sure, we're planning on doing that for the next big release in fact.
Ioa Petra'ka

br
brett

Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:02 pm Post

Sweet! Yet another reason to anticipate the new version!