Markdown Video Tutorial

In
InklingBooks
Platform: Mac

Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:15 pm Post

Practically Efficient has a good video tutorial on basic Markdown coding at:

http://www.practicallyefficient.com/201 ... wn-nv-101/

It focuses on using it with Notational Velocity (Alt), but the same principles apply with Scrivener. There are also other tutorials on:

Instapaper:
http://www.practicallyefficient.com/201 ... nstapaper/

Writing with Notational Velocity & Simplenote:
http://www.practicallyefficient.com/201 ... implenote/

and other topics handy for writers.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:44 am Post

Setting this to sticky for this forum. Thanks for digging that up!
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Amaru

Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:36 pm Post

Thank you for the the link. Seeing the advantages of MMD, I am considering now moving a whole project to that format. Is there any way to convert simple (no formulas, images or tables) RTF files into MMD?

AmberV

Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:00 pm Post

The three big things:
  1. Paragraph spacing: In MMD paragraphs and other block level elements like lists, need a clear empty line around them. Doing a search and replace for one carriage return with two carriage returns is safe to do, because MMD also ignores multiple spaces. A paragraph separated by 1 or 20 carriage returns will still appear adjacent in the final product. This also applies to Scrivener’s various separation policies in the compiler and the main General preferences. These should all be set to at least “Empty Line” so ensure all sections do not produce run-on paragraphs when combined together.
  2. Lists: They almost work, but not quite. The problem is the RTF->Text conversion for lists inserts a tab in front of each list item—and a tab in front of a line in MMD means code block. I type in my lists by hand, and use a special formatting preset to make them look nice. With a keyboard shortcut on it, it’s actually about as much work as using regular lists, since those require a mouse. While it might bother the pedantic in you, if you have one, a nice thing about numbered lists is that the number is meaningless. All MMD looks for is DIGIT(S)+DOT+SPACE at the beginning of the line. So inserting a line item in the middle doesn’t mean you have to fix all of the numbers, which is the main benefit of using the built-in RTF list feature anyway.
  3. Bold and Italics: You can handle bold and italics with Scrivener’s `Format/Convert/Bold and Italics to MultiMarkdown` menu command.

There are other things as well, such as titles, but if you are using Scrivener to generate titles, then converting to MMD requires no change in compile settings.

Easiest way to work with a word processor is MMD->HTML. Most word processor not only import HTML files, but will convert them to stylesheets as well, saving the step of defining headers and body text. Note on this: some word processors don’t like true XHTML files (which is what MMD produces). Simply delete the first XML declaration line from the file to clear the air for it. Word is one of these.
Ioa Petra'ka

ch
charlie.stross

Fri May 06, 2011 2:36 pm Post

Is there a non-video, non-tutorial terse guide to MMD and Scrivener anywhere? Something like a UNIX man page that just dumps the details on you in a terse torrent of text? (I'd prefer not to wade through a two hundred page beginner's tutorial -- I've been using related formats like setext for a decade or so -- and I can't stand video tutorials.)

Amaru

Fri May 06, 2011 4:08 pm Post

AmberV wrote:[*] Bold and Italics: You can handle bold and italics with Scrivener’s `Format/Convert/Bold and Italics to MultiMarkdown` menu command.[/list

Ioa, as usually a very comprehensive reply. Thank you very, very much. I have been using MMD for a few weeks now, and have decided to use the underline for _italics_ as it makes it easier, to me, to distinguish it visually from **bold**. Is there a way to setup Scrivener so when you use the “Format>Convert>Bold and Italics to MultiMarkdown” uses underline instead of asterisks for italics?

AmberV

Fri May 06, 2011 5:15 pm Post

charlie.stross wrote:Is there a non-video, non-tutorial terse guide to MMD and Scrivener anywhere? Something like a UNIX man page that just dumps the details on you in a terse torrent of text? (I'd prefer not to wade through a two hundred page beginner's tutorial -- I've been using related formats like setext for a decade or so -- and I can't stand video tutorials.)

I found the new user manual to be in this sweetspot. It's a bit more than a man page, but for the most part it's just all about the data once you get past the intro. Grab a copy of the user manual from Git. Skip down to Ch.4 for the syntax (you'll need a working knowledge of Markdown as this only documents the MMD specific super-set); Ch.3 covers the various command line options and usages.
Ioa Petra'ka

In
InklingBooks

Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:41 am Post

There's a video about a 'lazy person's' techniques to make Markdown easier using TextExpander macros and Keyboard Maestro macros:

http://bettermess.com/lazymarkdown/

Making Markdown even easier? That's a bit like talking about how to make a feather bed even softer.

--Mike Perry, Seattle

demonofsarila
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:54 pm Post

The videos in this sticky are 404 errors for me.

Scriptdoctor
Platform: Windows

Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:24 pm Post

demonofsarila wrote:The videos in this sticky are 404 errors for me.

Same for me.

xiamenese

Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:53 am Post

The last post above these two was written in January 2012, so presumably that website no longer exists.
The Scrivenerato sometimes known as Mr X.
MacBook Pro Retina 10.13, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MacBook Pro 17" (late 2011) 10.13, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
iPad Air 2, iOS 11, 64GB
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

AmberV

Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:10 am Post

If you remove the path from the URL and visit the domain itself you'll see it is still active. It looks like the author might have switching blogging platforms between then and now, but those old posts are likely still archived as the "Archive" link in the top right goes way back to when these were posted.

At any rate, thanks for the notice, I've taken the sticky setting off.
Ioa Petra'ka