NaNoWriMo template?

en
engleka
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:11 pm Post

I saw a reference somewhere to a NaNoWriMo template, but the links to it are inactive.

Is there a NaNoWriMo template? If so, how does it differ from the standard novel template?

Thanks!

ze
zeitenflug
Platform: Mac

Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:45 am Post

For a quick start, I'd recommend:

http://ewalaursen.com/get-scrivener-ready-nanowrimo/

http://gwenhernandez.com/2013/10/30/nan ... scrivener/

Apart from that - if it's your first novel, it really doesn't matter how you start. Every writer is unique. You need to write two or three novels to hone your own approach. If you've figured out what your own approach is (and the only way you can do that is by writing), you will end up with your very own template anyway.

Starting to work with templates based on methods you've never worked with, shifts the focus away from the writing and towards the method; you will first need to understand the method and become ready to apply it. This is time you could have spent on actually writing something.

My personal experience is -- too much fiddling around with templates equals procrastination. Using the default template, and then adjust it little by little to your own needs, will probably work best.

en
engleka

Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:14 pm Post

Thanks, but that was not terribly responsive. All I want to know is if a NaNoWriMo Scrivener template still exists and how it differs from the standard novel template.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:33 am Post

The up to date templates are available from the usual NaNo page. If you scroll to the end of the page, you’ll find the template files you need and instructions on how to install them.

As to the differences, there is a help file in them that will explain that. It’s not much though, stuff like setting a 50,000 word goal for you and so forth. If you’ve already started with the Novel template then I wouldn’t worry about it.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

en
engleka

Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:27 pm Post

Thanks.

ex
exelisis

Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:39 am Post

AmberV

Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 pm Post

It's working fine for me, are you having issues downloading from Amazon in general (the Windows template as well as the demo versions of the software themselves will all be using our S3 mirror)? If so that sometimes happens, give it a few hours or a day and it should clear up. Let me know if you're looking to use it though, I'll send you a copy.
Ioa Petra'ka

ta
tatxe

Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:23 pm Post

Now is working 8-)

Fa
FadedStardust
Platform: Windows

Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:29 am Post

Okay, so I just downloaded the template and imported my words for the day. I think I shall be writing in FocusWriter (cuz of the timer, mostly) and importing to Scrivener at the end of each day. Thanks to the team for the wonderful template!

AmberV

Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:49 am Post

You're welcome, and good luck!
Ioa Petra'ka

ador12.6

Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:08 am Post

May I ask, do I have to pay for the NaNoWriMo template if I already have Scrivener 3? If yes, how much is it for please? I downloaded the file from this https://www.literatureandlatte.com/nanowrimo (the bottom part of the post) and I got a .dmg file that request to replace my existing Scrivener program when I run it.

Would appreciate some clarification on this, please.
Ad Omar

"God did not provide the passion without the talent" - Anonymous

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:12 am Post

No, you do not have to pay to download the template. It looks you like downloaded the Nano-specific trial version (the .dmg is a disk image file).

There should be another link there to download a .zip file that is just the template.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

ador12.6

Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:18 pm Post

devinganger wrote:No, you do not have to pay to download the template. It looks you like downloaded the Nano-specific trial version (the .dmg is a disk image file).

There should be another link there to download a .zip file that is just the template.

Thank you so much for the clarification! Found it on someone's blog and managed to download and import the template into my Scrivener. If you're doing NaNo, good luck! And thanks again. :)
Ad Omar

"God did not provide the passion without the talent" - Anonymous