2014 NaNo - Who's in?

ce
celesi
Platform: Mac

Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:43 am Post

Most years, I'm unprepared. Most years, I'm continuing an older project. Heck, most of the time, I don't even aim for 50k.

But this year, this year I'm ready. The plot's been germinating for six months. The outline is about half done. The research is speeding along, and I'm itching to start writing.

Also: Scapple + Scrivener? Magic.

Are you writing this year?

Go
Gordon Robb
Platform: Windows

Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:24 am Post

I'm also in. Third time. Trying to do it right this time :)

Kr
Kristina

Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:31 pm Post

I'm in and wanting to check out the NaNo free trial of this product. When is it due to be released - does anyone know?

Kristina

Ev
Everon
Platform: Linux + Windows

Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:45 pm Post

I'm in and excited, as I have recently discovered Scrivener's companion, Scapple!

As with most years, I'm kinda prepared. Ideas and characters are slowly making their way onto my screen, but it's no where near finished with that stage of development. The one year I was successful I spent about a month sussing out an outline before I ever wrote a word.

na
naquada

Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:19 pm Post

I'm in.. been doing Nano since 2009.. and managed to (just) 'win' each year... the secret is just write.. and write.. and write a bit more...

I tend to use it as brain dumping ideas and thinking for a project.. and then come back to it at a much later date...

keeps me out of trouble ;)
Associate of The Inner Magic Circle

My Blog - http://www.naquada.co.uk

paperprosciutto

Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:16 pm Post

I'm in, second time. The first time was a disaster. Then my laptop got stolen, providing me with a convenient excuse.

I'm rebelling this year though. I'll start writing in late October, since I already have school by the time Nano rolls around.
It's not the bullet that kills you, it's the hole.
- Vito Acconci

so
sorrel

Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:42 pm Post

I'm in, for the third or fourth time officially. I "won" in 2009, but you will all note that was a long time ago. I am currently outlining plot points and creating characters.
sorrel

an
antonrasmussen

Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:48 pm Post

Kristina wrote:I'm in and wanting to check out the NaNo free trial of this product. When is it due to be released - does anyone know?

Kristina

I downloaded the NaNo trial about a month ago; so, it's available now. That said, I had to uninstall my other Scrivener trial before doing the NaNo one to get it to work--it's great!

Hope that helps...

-Anton

an
antonrasmussen

Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:03 pm Post

I am IN. . . I've even got my Synopsis posted on the NaNo site. Feel free to add me as a buddy:

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/anton-j-rasmussen

I've been in the past three; but, this year I'm GOING to win!

-Anton

Montree_Whiles

Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:56 pm Post

I'm in. Started already. Warmed up with NIAD last weekend.
“Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards.”
—Robert A. Heinlein

r6
r6d2
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:28 pm Post

Warming up the engines too!
r6d2

Beware of realism when writing. Avoid the usual zoo inhabitants. Summon the unicorns and the tritons, and give them reality!
--Julio Cortázar

homeport

Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:12 pm Post

Yes I am in this year :D
"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

scrapsandsass

Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:22 am Post

I'm giving it a try as well. I'm going to download the trial tomorrow so I can check it all out.

I did NiaD, and it really inspired me to get started writing more regularly. Pigfender is awesome.
Kimberlee
Scraps & Sass

homeport

Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:25 am Post

Pigfender is awesome we need him on here spurring as along for the next month :)
"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Gr
Graybyrd
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:02 am Post

Ayup, I'm in. This is the fifth year. Haven't always "won" but I did finish a novel, "Pasayten Pete," then a second, "Masi'shen Stranded" ... and began the sequel "Masi'shen Evolution" which is still progressing in fits & starts. This year will finish, for sure, with a sequel to Pasayten Pete called "Gold Mountain."

The best Scrivener feature for me is the ability to keep going by writing bits & pieces, chunks & scenes, and never having to worry about how to string them altogether as a coherent whole. The idea for me is to keep writing, to keep banging away on various scene ideas, with no worry for editing or weaving it together. Scrivener's binder is a great place to make folders for each general thread of related material, and stuff the bits and pieces of writing wherever seems logical.

A month after NaNoWriMo ends, it's time to use Scrivener to sift, sort, organize, edit and rewrite to make a coherent work out of all those pieces and parts. No, I don't start with an outline ... just a brief storyline with some general plot ideas. I've found that characters and threads take on a life of their own and begin to steer the story where they will it to go. No outline ever survives the first encounter with a great character!

Best of luck to all ... when you fall in a plot hole, take a big step back and write yourself a ladder!

Gray
On my honor, I will do my best not to do anything unlawful, infringing, disruptive, harmful, threatening, abusive, tortious, defamatory, libelous, lewd, profane, obscene, hateful or otherwise objectionable. Pinky Promise. :mrgreen: