File Does Not Exist

Platform: Mac

Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:42 pm Post

I had Scrivener open while playing a game in Steam, which crashed, taking the Mac with it. On restart, this system notification persists: "StartAgent cannot be opened because of a problem." I don't know if that relates to Scrivener, but reinstalling Scrivener hasn't eliminated it. Meanwhile, I have two projects which appear complete, but attempting to open either generates this Scrivener message: "The document “White 99 project.scriv” could not be opened. The file doesn’t exist." This when double-clicking the file, or choosing it under Recent.

Previous days' backups launch - so I'm only looking at losing a day's writing. Maybe 4,000 words. I would prefer to retrieve yesterday's lost work. Anyone have a suggestion?

Platform: Mac + Linux

Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:39 pm Post

I don’t think the StartAgent thing is related to Scrivener. I’m not aware of anything of ours that would be identifying itself that way at any rate.

As for the projects, I’m not too familiar with an error message like that on the Mac. You’re double-clicking on the file in Finder, it’s right there in front of you, and it says it doesn’t exist? Maybe it’s a permissions issue? I’d at least eliminate the possibility with this checklist.

There are other things we can try as well, so if that doesn’t work we aren’t quite out of options yet.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles