Why is my project being backed up in the wrong directory?

shrumpkin

Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:15 am Post

Hi L & L,
Please forgive me if this has been discussed, but I have looked and have not found anyone talking about this.
I have a peculiar issue. Scrivener 3 is saving or backing up my project in my original location, and not the location I've specified in the Backup location: drop down, which is my Dropbox folder. In other words, Scrivener is backing up my project in a location that I have not specified, while the one specified goes ignored. The only way to save it in the DropBox folder is to employ the Save To command, and save it manually. Otherwise, it saves to a directory in my home folder.

Where is it being told to save it there?

This happens when I press cmd + s as well.

UPDATE: Never mind. I set up a unique location for the project, which was overriding the backup feature. Duh.

Best,
Michael

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:24 am Post

Just to make sure you are not confusing things. Backup and Save are separate things. The backup folder is specified in preferences whereas the save folder is specified when you create the project. Do NOT have them all going into the same folder. It’s even safer not to have them in the same cloud service.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

shrumpkin

Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:40 pm Post

Thank you very much, Lunk. I was not aware of this. I assumed they were the same. I'm glad that I specified my HD for saving then, while my backup goes to the cloud.

Best,

Michael