Problem with mixed quotation marks

Ka
Kawasaki

Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:04 am Post

I've been using ProWriter Aid to edit my Scrivener 3 project. It has changed some smart quotes to straight quotes. After I returned to Scrivener proper, I highlighted the project in the Binder and tried Edit — Transformations—Convert Quotes to Smart Quotes but the straigh quotes remain unchanged. An advice,please?

Bridey
Platform: Mac

Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:31 am Post

Does it work if you:

1. Search for " and replace with ". or search for ' and replace with ' (so you create new double or single quotes in Scrivener itself)

2. Then use Convert Quotes to Smart Quotes

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:36 pm Post

Kawasaki wrote:I highlighted the project in the Binder and tried Edit — Transformations—Convert Quotes to Smart Quotes but the straigh quotes remain unchanged. An advice,please?

You need to select some text which you wish to target with the quotes Convert command.

I am not sure why that pair of menu items does not grey-out like others when there is no current selection. Seems like a small interface bug (or maybe the command is really supposed to do the whole doc in that case - unsure).

gr
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat
"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." —Philip Larkin

Ka
Kawasaki

Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:09 pm Post

Thanks for the 2 replies.
Bridey, yes I tried replacing the quotes, but only one type of quote mark came up each time--not both types which would have made the change possible.
Gr, yes, it worked on individual sentences. Thanks! I was hoping for a global solution so that I don't have to hunt for the straight quotes. Maybe that is not possible. Next time I use ProWriter Aid, I'll change all quotes to straight quote marks, then change back to smart quotes in Scrivener.

Bridey
Platform: Mac

Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:01 am Post

Sorry to hear it didn't work. For me, highlighting all the text in a document (or multiple documents using scrivenings) does work with the conversion command. Wonder why it doesn't work on your project.

Ka
Kawasaki

Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:34 pm Post

Bridey--Sorry, I misunderstood. Yes, I was able to highlight the entire document and make the change. Thanks for your patience.