Resizing window not possible -- want to revert

ze
zenfrodo

Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:10 am Post

Using new Mac version 3.0 (bought) on Mac OS 10.13.1 and found out today that I can't adjust the size of the main editor window. This is driving me nuts. It's an inconvenient size and takes up well over half my laptop screen. I was going to ask what option I needed to change to allow me to adjust the size to my own needs, but found a topic that stated this is no longer possible.

Well...this is NOT fine. The reason given for the change (about the footer) does not apply to what I use Scriv for. If 3.0 will not let me adjust the size to suit my needs, then I want to go back to the earlier version. How do I revert to the last 2.x version & get a refund?

lo
lometogo
Platform: Mac

Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:36 pm Post

Are you trying to adjust the main editor window's width?

That can be adjusted by putting your cursor on the edge and dragging it.. It does seem to have a minimum size beyond which it can't be reduced but that 's the only restriction I see.

You mention 'found a topic that stated this is no longer possible'. Could you be more specific about what you want to reduce in the editor window?

Good luck.

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:01 pm Post

If you have the project in Full Screen mode, then that's the only way that I know of that won't allow you to adjust the size of the main window.

If you're trying to make the text area in the editor wider, then that's adjustable in Scrivener's preferences settings. The default is to have the editor width restricted to avoid having super-wide lines that are hard to track when reading.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

Bridey

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:17 pm Post

Even with the fixed-width editor at a minimum or off entirely, the editor pane still has a set minimum width.

I *think* this is what the OP is referring to. Keith explains in this post:

viewtopic.php?p=245066#p245066

Oh, for the want of a 30-day trial version.

SarsenLintel
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:34 pm Post

Turn off the binder and the inspector, and the fixed width setting for the editor, and you can still get it reasonably compact.

Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 12.32.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 12.32.28 PM.png (40.04 KiB) Viewed 229 times

Mind you, you'll want to save a Layout for this because if you turn the binder or inspector back on, the window will grow to accommodate them and not automatically reshrink when you turn them off again.

Bridey

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:48 pm Post

Yep. And screen solution also impacts greatly on how much space is taken up by any program.

SarsenLintel
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:02 pm Post

Another thought - depending what features are needed it might also be workable to open the current doc into a Quick Ref window and then minimize the main window.

ze
zenfrodo

Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:34 am Post

lometogo wrote:Are you trying to adjust the main editor window's width?

That can be adjusted by putting your cursor on the edge and dragging it.. It does seem to have a minimum size beyond which it can't be reduced but that 's the only restriction I see.

You mention 'found a topic that stated this is no longer possible'. Could you be more specific about what you want to reduce in the editor window?

Good luck.

This topic: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41261&p=244569&hilit=resize+window#p244569

When you first open Scriv & an existing document, I've got the document window & the binder. I don't want to close the binder; I need to be able to jump back & forth easily between various scenes & parts of the document. When I pull the mouse cursor over any other window in Mac OS, the cursor changes to an arrow, and I can resize that window as small or as large as I want. With Scriv, it only allows me to enlarge the editor window. I cannot make the window smaller, as I could with Scriv 2 & with any other app windows. That topic I linked states that this was changed in 3 because of issues with the "footer" & can't/won't be changed back.

I use a Macbook laptop. Scriv's editor takes up well-over half of the display. The footer is not a feature I use; I want to know how to revert to Scriv 2 & be refunded for 3.

kewms

Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:52 am Post

You can download Scrivener 2 here:
http://www.literatureandlatte.com/legacy-download

To request a refund, send a copy of your receipt here:
sales@literatureandlatte.com

I don't have my laptop handy to check, but on my 27" iMac I was able to get the main Scrivener window down to 7.5" x 5", including the Binder and all the normal header and footer bars.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

br
brookter

Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:27 am Post

I use a MacBook, and can get two projects side-by-side, but only with the binders and inspectors hidden, of course, which isn't what you want. That's with the Macbook's resolution at the next highest from the default, I think (which is what I use anyway, I didn't just do it for Scrivener).

I'm not at the Macbook now, but it's possible to use Full Screen to get something a little better. I'll post about this later — may not interest you, but it may be useful for others looking at the thread.

Bridey

Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:04 am Post

kewms wrote:To request a refund, send a copy of your receipt here:

Completely understand the goodwill reasoning behind this. Think it is also beyond the call, given that any user can trial the software for 30 days before buying.

Believe the OP is missing out on a lot of S3 benefits that far outweigh this issue with the screen width, and is locking themselves into using a dated app and, in time, a dated OS. Respect their choice, of course. Personally, I prefer the resizing and current-line highlighting options of S2, but those options can't, IMO, compete with S3's feature set and its 64-bit performance improvements.

br
brookter

Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:11 pm Post

This is a screen shot of my MacBook 12" with two Scrivener projects and their binders side by side.

It's in split Full Screen mode -- the key is to set up the two screens without the binder, then use cmd-opt-b to bring them back in (it's not possible to create the split with the binder showing). I have my MacBook set up with the 'More Space' resolution in System Preferences > Displays.

Whether it's of any use to the OP, I don't know -- but if the right hand split is of another program, then it will work well enough I think.

Screenshot 2017-12-08 13.03.18.jpg
Screenshot 2017-12-08 13.03.18.jpg (194.47 KiB) Viewed 151 times

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:22 pm Post

I think Ioa's suggestion in that other thread is brilliant. So long as you can live with just one of the top-level folders being visible, you can split the editor, load the left (or top) with an outline view of the folder you're working with, and set it to open selections in the other editor. Then hide the binder, and you have a very narrow, and customizable "binder substitute" If you're just moving files around within one project, then you can load different sections of the binder into each of the two editor splits and drag between them. Optionally, you can even add copyholders that load selections from the outliners.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

ze
zenfrodo

Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:33 am Post

kewms wrote:You can download Scrivener 2 here:
http://www.literatureandlatte.com/legacy-download

To request a refund, send a copy of your receipt here:

I don't have my laptop handy to check, but on my 27" iMac I was able to get the main Scrivener window down to 7.5" x 5", including the Binder and all the normal header and footer bars.

Katherine

Thanks, Katherine. I might keep the 3.0 for my desktop mac anyway, since I've got a 27" iMac, too and the sizing isn't an issue. But on the smaller Macbook, it IS an issue, and since I use my Macbook a lot, it's a problem.

And Bridey -- "dated OS"? I'm using the most recent version of the Mac OS, 10.13.1 High Sierra. If you're referring to the Mac OS as a whole being "outdated", then why are you in the Mac tech forum? I use Macs because I like them, and Scriv started as a Mac software. I also use the app version of Scriv on my iPad. I don't care about Mac vs anything else.

As for the 30 day trial version, since I'm a long-term user of Scriv, I updated without using the trial out of trust from using Scriv for years now -- I didn't realize the changes would be eliminating things I liked & that an update would be an issue. Everyone else in this thread seems to like the new version, fine. I don't. I had an issue, Katherine was kind enough to give me a response & an answer. The snippy comments from everyone else accomplish nothing.

kewms

Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:55 am Post

Not addressed to you specifically, but to the forum at large and anyone who might come across this thread:

*Take advantage of the trial.*

I personally like Scrivener 3, but it *is* a big change with a significant learning curve. We would much rather people took the time to get comfortable with it before buying, than dove in, were overwhelmed, and felt stuck.

That's especially true if you're approaching an important milestone with a project that was built from the ground up in Scrivener 2.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team