Compile issue: stops at "converting file format.."

ar
arufi
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:47 pm
Platform: Mac

Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:41 am Post

Hi, I'm having an issue with compile. It used to work converting to docx and PDF. But now it's not working anymore, it stops at "coverting file format..." It keeps showing this process like forever. The Scrivener app doesn't freeze though. I can still cancel the process.

I notice before when I can still compile there's a java app showing when the converting process is going, but now it's not. So I'm guessing the problem is with java app? I tried restarting my mac but the problem remains.

Kindly help.

ar
arufi
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:47 pm
Platform: Mac

Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:57 pm Post

It appears that it happens because I'm using <$n:chapter> in the chapter title, and troughout the text I'm using <$n#chapter> to autogenerate Figure/Table numbering in my thesis based on chapter number, So for example "Figure <$n#chapter>.<$n:fig:figtitle>" in chapter 5, will be compiled as Figure 5.1.. 5.2.. and so on.

At first it worked just fine, but after compiling several times the problem starts. Could it be a bug?

User avatar
KB
Site Admin
Posts: 19158
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:23 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Truro, Cornwall
Contact:

Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:00 pm Post

If you remove those codes does it work, then? If so, could you attach (zipped) a sample project that shows the issue?

Thanks and all the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

ar
arufi
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:47 pm
Platform: Mac

Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:02 am Post

Yes, after hours of trying I think that is the problem and I use a manual approach to handle it. Now I'm using:

Code: Select all

Figure 5. <$n:fig:figtitle>
.

Not a dynamic solution, but I can still use find & replace should the chapter number changes, or the figure moves to another chapter. Attached is the sample project. I hope it the issue can be replicated.

Thesis .zip
(63.98 KiB) Downloaded 4 times


A little background.. I found this issue when I try to make my figure numbering corresponds to the chapter number. The requirement for my thesis format is for the title numbering to be in title-case, i.e., "Chapter One", so I use <$t:chapter> in the title. However, the figure titles in the text needs to be in numerical value (e.g, Figure 5.1), so I use the <$n#chapter>. But I noticed in the placeholder guide it notes that;

(If you are using <$t:chapter> in chapter titles and use <$t#chapter> linked to a document inside Chapter Four, then “<$n#chapter>” will be replaced with “Four”.)


So when trying to find a workaround for this, I encounter the problem.

Hope you can provide a solution for this. Thanks!

User avatar
KB
Site Admin
Posts: 19158
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:23 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Truro, Cornwall
Contact:

Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:20 pm Post

Thanks. This is fixed for the next update.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

ar
arufi
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:47 pm
Platform: Mac

Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:29 pm Post

Thanks Keith. Glad to hear that.