How to maintain Editor fonts in ePub 3 output?

Bridey
Platform: Mac

Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:49 pm Post

Bumping in the hope Keith or Ioa or Xyz can shed some light...

we
wezlo

Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:41 pm Post

brookter wrote:I'm not sure -- like you I'm trying to understand it properly, so this is helpful. :D

As for going through and assigning styles, it's actually quite easy: you just select a portion of text already in that format and create the new style from it. The go to the next example of that formatting and from the Style Panel, click the gear and choose Select Similar Formatting -- you can then apply your new style to them all at once.

I can't get this to work, so I'm guessing I'm missing something. I've created character styles for both bold and emphasis, but when I select similar formatting it selects everything which shares the traits of the paragraph style, and not just the character traits I want to use.

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

br
brookter

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:11 pm Post

Is the selection inside an already defined paragraph style (ie, you've applied emphasis on top of blockquote)? I'm not sure that will work -- ie it's a cumulative process.

Does it work if you select a word in a 'No Style' paragraph and apply the format, then go the 'Select Similar Formatting' etc?

we
wezlo

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:34 pm Post

brookter wrote:Is the selection inside an already defined paragraph style (ie, you've applied emphasis on top of blockquote)? I'm not sure that will work -- ie it's a cumulative process.

Does it work if you select a word in a 'No Style' paragraph and apply the format, then go the 'Select Similar Formatting' etc?

Hmm, I will check that out. Thanks for the tip.

I do wish that character formatting would just be carried over into the ePub3 ebook (An option to auto-convert to character styles, maybe?). It’s going to take me a long time to go through all my old projects to get them up to date. But at least I understand what’s going on now. Thanks.

Update: That worked! It's counter-intuitive to not set up a default style in the editor, but I'll get over it. I've got my default display in preferences the way I want.. should be all set.