First of all congratulations for the release of V3
Also I'll start with a huge thanks for implementing a feature I requested a long time ago, which is the ability to format words;/parts of a title using markdown.
This works great, but I ran into a few problems while implementing this in an existing book:
- While this produces the expected result when compiling, i.e. the formated words in the titles are properly formatted, if one generates a table of content, markdown will appear in the titles in the table of contents, which is not desired. For example, "This is my *wonderful* title" will produce the correct title in the compiled file "This is my wonderful title", but in the title of contents the title will appear as: "This is my *wonderful* title". So I have to reformat these manually in the TOC. - When checking "generating an HTML table of contents", only the main chapter headings are listed (as in V2) so I use a "replace" in my custom format preset to replace the <$p> in the TOC with nothing when compiling for ebook. In V2, this works great and gets rid of everything between the end of th e title and the question mark that appears if you leave the <$p> in the content table (works great for print, but not for e-book). In V3, the question mark disappears but it looks like each tab appears as a visible underlined section. - There is still an (already reported in V2) bug/limitation in the generated table of contents that means that with short titles, the single "tab" automatically generated isn't enough to align the page number to the right, So I have to manually add one tab before the <$p> for these short titles to get the page number vertically aligned for print/PDF. As a result, when complied for ebook, the underlined section after the title is twice as long as when only the initial tab is present.
It would be great if these issues could be fixed. If the above doesn't make sense, please let me know and I'll take some screenshots.
Otherwise really enjoying exploring V3, but right now my priority is to get my mobi and epub files for existing book re-compiled and ready, as I'm looking forward to seeing the improvement in the Kindle preview.
Sorry, I somehow missed this. Thanks for the kind words. The first issue sounds like a bug which I’m going to look at tomorrow. The other issues don’t sound like bugs but I’ll go through why once I’ve double-checked. If you don’t hear back in a couple of days, please bump the thread - it won’t be because I’m ignoring you but just because we’re really busy.
Thanks again! Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."
I did some tests starting from scratch and there are no asterisks in the result from compile.
However, the part that should be in italics doesn't appear in italics in the TOC, even if the asterisks are correctly stripped. The part in italics is only properly formatted in the content itself, not in the table of contents.
Also, each tab in the title inserted in the TOC - either automatically when generated or manually to make up for short titles, I created one such title called "short" to illustrate the issue - becomes a series of spaces underlined when compiled for Kindle, which doesn't look good (see MOBI sample). If you don't add a manual tab for short titles in the generated TOC, then the page number isn't aligned when compiled for MS Word/PDF (see PDF sample).
I attach my test project (along with the resulting PDF and MOBI) which reproduces all these issues.
Sorry to insist, I know this might look like minor issues to you but at the moment V3 is not usable for me.
I can live with the extra tab needed with short titles, that bug was already present in V2, but I can't live with the tabs showing as underlined spaces when I compile for Kindle. That looks too unprofessional. And I need the tabs as I also compile to PDF (for free samplers etc), I can't simply delete them (which I would do if I was only compiling for Kindle).
If I can specify a tab character in my replacement string, please let me know as I could replace: tab tab <$p> with nothing (for short titles) then tab <$p> with nothing (for standard titles) instead of just replacing <$p> with nothing, which works great with V2 as the tabs don't show up as visible underlined space when there is no <$p> if I compile for Kindle. And add the italics manually in the TOC, as I do now in V2.
Otherwise I'll just forget about V3 and I'll keep using V2 for now,