Current line highlighting?

Fi
Fitch
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:04 am Post

I don't think it works, but I also can't find a place to turn it on so it might be operator error. I have the color set in preferences, but nothing happens in the editor.

Fitch

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:08 am Post

Fitch wrote:I don't think it works, but I also can't find a place to turn it on so it might be operator error. I have the color set in preferences, but nothing happens in the editor.

Fitch

In my experience, it does work, but it's much more subtle than it was in v. 2 … which I personally like.

Mark
The Scrivenerato sometimes known as Mr X.
MacBook Pro Retina 10.13, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MacBook Pro 17" (late 2011) 10.13, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
iPad Air 2, iOS 11, 64GB
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

br
brookter

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:18 am Post

@Fitch,

It definitely works. You need to turn it on/off in Preferences > Appearance > Main Editor > Options.

Change the colour in Preferences > Appearance > Main Editor > Colors > Current Line Highlight.

HTH.

au
auxbuss

Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:47 pm Post

xiamenese wrote:In my experience, it does work, but it's much more subtle than it was in v. 2 … which I personally like.

That's odd.

In v2, my line highlight is a pale yellow background, which is very subtle and which I like.

In v3, there is a border around the highlighted line, which I don't like at all, so have switched it off.
Last edited by auxbuss on Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fi
Fitch
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:18 pm Post

brookter wrote:@Fitch,

It definitely works. You need to turn it on/off in Preferences > Appearance > Main Editor > Options.

Change the colour in Preferences > Appearance > Main Editor > Colors > Current Line Highlight.

HTH.

Thanks! Somehow I missed that check box during my tour of 'Preferences' last evening. Got it now!

I'm loving 3.0 so far. Now I need to understand how to view what used to be in Project notes as conveniently as I used to view it. I know it's possible, I just haven't figured it out yet. I used Project notes a lot in V2. But that's a subject for another thread if I can't figure it out.

Fitch

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:13 pm Post

I’m loving 3.0 so far. Now I need to understand how to view what used to be in Project notes as conveniently as I used to view it. I know it’s possible, I just haven’t figured it out yet. I used Project notes a lot in V2. But that’s a subject for another thread if I can’t figure it out.

Glad to hear it! :)

On finding your way back into a similar workflow with the new Project Bookmarks feature, have you read this blog article yet? I tried to go over each of the core Project Note capabilities and describe their alternatives, but let me know if you used it in a way I never thought of.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

SarsenLintel
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:18 pm Post

auxbuss wrote:In v2, my line highlight is a pale yellow background, which is very subtle and which I like.

In v3, there is a line around the selected line, which I don't like at all, so have switched it off.

Yeah, it's really quite in your face now with the border around the highlight. That said, I think I'm getting used to it (unlike the new Composition Mode colours which I had to completely rejig immediately).

au
auxbuss

Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:20 pm Post

SarsenLintel wrote:
auxbuss wrote:In v2, my line highlight is a pale yellow background, which is very subtle and which I like.

In v3, there is a line around the selected line, which I don't like at all, so have switched it off.

Yeah, it's really quite in your face now with the border around the highlight. That said, I think I'm getting used to it (unlike the new Composition Mode colours which I had to completely rejig immediately).

Sadly, the line around the highlighted text cannot be switched off (or the colour changed to match the background).

The line also doesn't work well with some fonts;
slicing the g.png
slicing the g.png (6.06 KiB) Viewed 966 times

This is, after all, what you have to look at most of the time while writing, so it's a very significant change.

I've been trying to write in v3 with and without line highlighting. Neither work for me.

Oddly, there is no line around the highlight in composition mode. That'd be fine, but I'd like to use quite a few of the new features in non-composition mode.

If the line around highlighted text is staying, then an option to vary the cursor width and colour would work for me. I'm missing being able to quickly retrieve my current line when scrolling or returning to the text (without being distracted when writing).

While I'm disappointed, I'm also confused that folk consider this the best set-up for line highlighting (after all the testing and experimentation that's been done).

This is what I currently have in v2.
Attachments
highlighting.png
highlighting.png (30.98 KiB) Viewed 966 times

ne
nevdev

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:59 pm Post

Yes, it is very much "in your face" now. It was indeed more subtle in version 2.

AmberV

Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:41 pm Post

You could try giving it a little time as well. I noticed it when I started using it a few years ago in early alphas; it was striking even—but if I hadn’t of come across this thread I honestly don’t think I would have consciously thought about the fact that there is a line around the highlight in my life again. :) And to clarify: I use this option, which means I’m staring at it every day for many hours of every day.

If the line around highlighted text is staying, then an option to vary the cursor width and colour would work for me.

The block width and blink settings are in Editing: Options (bottom area), and the colour is in Appearance: Textual Marks: Colors, under Insertion Point. I use a 3pt cursor myself.
Ioa Petra'ka

Pa
Pavel

Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:47 pm Post

It took me a while to discover what I had been doing wrong in that there is the separate checkbox under the options tab.
Then when I applied it I discovered that there is now a black line around the line and while that may be ok with some, it's kind of a "nails on the chalkboard" experience for me. Funny how a small thing can turn a person off if its exactly the wrong thing.

I had to turn the highlighting off, and I'm crossing my fingers that it's a small bug which will get fixed. I've always set my Scrivener workspace to be as monotone as possible. When using a light gray background and just a very little brighter gray for the line highlighting the thing black outline is too much distraction.

But everything else so far seems improved. I really like the new cleaner preference pane
To find the answers ... question them!

AmberV

Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:49 pm Post

A black outline? That does sound more like a bug to me. As noted in my screenshot above, it should be fairly subtle. What are your System Preferences settings like, in terms of accessibility features?
Ioa Petra'ka

au
auxbuss

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:03 pm Post

AmberV wrote:
If the line around highlighted text is staying, then an option to vary the cursor width and colour would work for me.

The block width and blink settings are in Editing: Options (bottom area), and the colour is in Appearance: Textual Marks: Colors, under Insertion Point. I use a 3pt cursor myself.

This a decent workaround for me.

I can't stress how big a change this is -- clearly, for a minority. Despite all the wonderful improvements in v3, this one change overshadows them all, since this is what you look at all the time when writing. It's like handing someone a Tesla with an opaque windscreen.

Anyway thanks providing a workaround that works for me. It may not, however, work for others.

I really do think you should reconsider the border, though.

Ki
Kinsey

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:10 pm Post

I have it set up as in screenshot below, and to me it's very subtle. It's a feature that I never used in Scriv2, but is growing on me because of the border. Who'd be a developer? :D
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-11-21 at 22.06.47.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-21 at 22.06.47.png (25 KiB) Viewed 848 times

au
auxbuss

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:06 pm Post

AmberV wrote:A black outline? That does sound more like a bug to me. As noted in my screenshot above, it should be fairly subtle. What are your System Preferences settings like, in terms of accessibility features?

The problem is the border. I'm sure that's clear by now. It's got nothing to do with accessibility settings.

It appears that you find the border to be "subtle", whereas others find it akin to being beaten around the head with a kipper and a herring in a syncopated rhythm. IT"S LIKE BEING SHOUTED AT IN ALL CAPS. Like a neighbour playing Coldplay at full blast at 3 a.m. Or <a list of many appalling things that I'll withhold>

I remain surprised that, given the myriad other options, that this one -- the one we have to stare at the most -- wasn't considered. It's just downright odd to me. But hey ho! It's not life or death or ought.