Wrap text

br
brookter
Platform: Mac

Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:59 pm Post

Bridey, do you use Keyboard Maestro?

If so, you can set up a macro (which obviously you can give a short cut) which you can set to open preferences, go to the Appearances tab, click on Main Editor, and toggle the Fixed Width tick box, before closing preferences.

A bit fiddly to set up, but after that it's easy to use and worth the effort if you want to do this regularly. You can set it to record your actions and turn it into a macro, which simplifies things, though.

If you don't have Keyboard Maestro yet, it's really worth exploring — I use it all the time. E.g I'll put this new macro on a 'palette' (KM floating menu), which I pull up with opt-M. It has several useful macros on triggered by a single letter, so I don't have to remember all the keystrokes. E.g opt-m r invokes a macro Reset Find Options to set the standard Project Search menu dropdown to the default options so I don't have to use the mouse after I've used a Regex search, for example.
Screenshot 2017-12-04 19.54.33.png
Screenshot 2017-12-04 19.54.33.png (206.41 KiB) Viewed 40 times

I have four of these palettes, just for Scrivener alone. I'm not an employee or affiliate — but I do recommend Keyboard Maestro for anyone who wants to save time with regular tasks. You can set it to sync between Macs, so you don't have to mess around repeating shortcuts -- I almost never use System Preference shortcuts now — much easier to keep them in KM and then they're there forever.

Bridey

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:08 pm Post

brookter wrote:Bridey, do you use Keyboard Maestro?

I don't, but thanks for the recommendation and detailed tip. Will take a look.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:34 pm Post

Under what conditions are you finding it useful to toggle that setting so frequently, out of curiosity? I'm the sort that has had it enabled 100% of the time for over a decade, so it's not something I've anticipated. :)
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

popcornflix

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:38 pm Post

Also a KM user here.

Could you please post a link to the macro palette you made for Scrivener? It would saveme the trouble of reverse engineering it.
.:popcornFlix:.

Bridey

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:45 pm Post

AmberV wrote:Under what conditions are you finding it useful to toggle that setting so frequently, out of curiosity? I'm the sort that has had it enabled 100% of the time for over a decade, so it's not something I've anticipated. :)

I just like to make changes as I work, forcing me to view text in different ways. I regularly/hourly (or more) switch font faces, spacing, colours, zoom level, etc. Also switch between wrapped and unwrapped text, and, for me, it would be ideal if we could use one icon to scroll through wrapped, unwrapped, and fixed-width. Too odd?

br
brookter

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:48 pm Post

You and Keyboard Maestro are going to be so happy together... :D