Using Scrivener with Dropbox

RG
RGrahame
Platform: Mac

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:03 pm Post

I work on my project using my Mac at home. When I am out with my Editor, I use my iPad. I placed my document in a folder on Dropbox and that is the one I open on my Mac. I can't exactly recall how I set up my iPad version of Scrivener to access the file.

Every time I open my document on either my Mac or my iPad, it asks if I want to sync with Dropbox. I am always amazed at how many files get synced, even if I have not made a single change on either my Mac or my iPad version. Next I am presented with a message telling me that conflicts were found and the conflict documents have been placed in something called Synced Documents. I would simply become bewildered if I had to compare all these documents looking for the conflicts. That sort of defeats the purpose of the whole exercise. Even at this moment, I have the document open on my Mac and Scrivener open on my iPad, but not the document. The Mac version is asking if I want to, "Update project with changes from mobile version." I have already done the update earlier this morning and have not been working on my project since then.

I am always concerned that my edits are not being combined into my main working document. I just can't remember all the little changes I have made while with my Editor, so I may be in serious hot water, if this is not working correctly.

Can somebody advise me on how to sort this out?

RG
RGrahame

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:24 pm Post

A little more on my issues:

My Mac version just did a sync. A message said that, "All conflicts were resolved." Next came a message stating, "File Were Recovered." This included a long explanation. There is a way to disable this by holding down the Option key while opening the document, but I don't know if I want to do that.

I seem to have a number of confusing things going on that I don't understand and don't know what to do about. I have been a pretty heavy Mac user for around 25 years, so I sort of know my way around. This syncing stuff does bug me though. It make me nervous so I end up just saying to myself, "I hope this all worked out somehow."

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:56 pm Post

RGrahame wrote:Even at this moment, I have the document open on my Mac and Scrivener open on my iPad, but not the document.

I may have misunderstood, but it sounds like you have the same Scrivener project open simultaneously on both your Mac and your iPad.

If that is the case, you should change that habit.

Best practice--safest practice--is to follow these steps: 1) close the project on Device A, 2) confirm that Device A has finished syncing with DropBox, 3) confirm that Device B has finished syncing with DropBox, and finally 4) open the project on Device B.

If you adopt that habit, you should stop seeing warnings about conflicts.

HTH,
Jim

RG
RGrahame

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:25 pm Post

…it sounds like you have the same Scrivener project open simultaneously on both your Mac and your iPad.

Actually, you are correct. I have been keeping my book document open on my Mac all the time, in case I want to work on it. I may not be doing anything when I am working with it on my iPad, but it is still open on my Mac.

What are the chances that my book may be, well, messed up now? I just keep working on the main documents and ignore the ones pulled aside through all these synching conflicts. Is that OK?

Thanks for your assistance.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:55 pm Post

I’d say it’s more a matter of being very careful, in this case, than a necessity. The sync system is in fact designed so that you can leave a project open on your computer and step away, using the mobile for a while without having to return to you desk and close the project.

You will of course still want to make sure that the Mac is all done uploading before doing so, and vice versa, that all changes on the phone are been fully downloaded to the Mac before syncing the open project. That is the most important thing to keep tabs on no matter which practice you take. You will nearly always cause conflicts if trying to sync before both devices have the same information to work from.

Now what you don’t want to do is try that with two Macs, or two iDevices. It is specifically a concession to Mac/PC + one device.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles