Chapters and formatting with an embedded graphic

co
cocokraken
Platform: Mac

Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:33 am Post

Hello There!

I'm new to Scrivener 3 and trying to figure out to do some things that worked in the Scrivener 2.

1. ) The first thing is in my paperback book, I had each chapter separated as a file in a folder. There were about 20 chapters, and when I compiled, each chapter was nicely separated from the one before it.

Now even with the same section setup, everything gets compiled together. I must be missing something that helps Scrivener keep all chapters separate.

2.) I was embedding a graphic above each chapter title in this way.

In Section Layout under "Title Prefix and Suffix" I added this:

<$title>
<$img:black_and_white_art;w=150>

...and the image was at the top of the page, right under the title.

Presently, it's all kind of mixed up because I haven't figured out the new system.

Any advice on organizing my chapters within folders, and about embedding a graphic would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

Coco

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:31 am Post

Hmm, I’m not sure how you were getting the image above the title in v2 with that particular sequence of codes. It indicates the title should be on the first line and then the image follows it on the second line.

But perhaps an easier approach would be to omit the <$title> placeholder, you really only need that if you for whatever reason want the title twice, and use the Title checkbox for the section Layout instead. Then with the image in the prefix field (and I presume a carriage return after the image placeholder), you will ensure it remains at the top. (Or if I misunderstand and you do want the title on top, you can still use the checkbox, but put the image into the suffix field instead).

Otherwise, it might help to see a screenshot of what a typical chapter looks like in your binder—but a key thing to know about the new system is that if you prefer the approach of using levels and types to automatically format the outline into chapters and chapter content, you can still do so. The definition of that has been moved from the compile settings themselves and into the project (go to Project ▸ Project Settings.. under the Section Types pane, and you should find the Default Types by Structure tab to be familiar to the Formatting pane layout in v2). Think of this way: the project settings now declares what your outline is meant to be, and then compile settings are how you then choose to format that structure. Additionally the project outline itself can override structure where needed, by manually assigning Section Types to items. That is something you couldn’t do at all in the previous version, without doing weird stuff to your outline like nesting things into two folders to artificially bump them to a different level than other things, etc.

I’d recommend going through the compile related items in Appendix E of the user manual, and following any cross-references you need further assistance on. There are a few minor differences between Formatting and project settings structure to be aware of.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles