Tracking Through Many Chapters

mh
mhuntsman
Platform: Mac

Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:02 pm Post

Hello Scrivner Community!

It's my understanding that Labels are purely for an entire text (chapter or scene). And that keywords don't allow me to indicate where in the chapter her negative trait comes in, simply that it appears in this chapter.So for either of these two options, I'd have to go into the document and refind the location where her negative traits appear which may be the last two paragraphs.

For example, I'd like to have a way to tag or label all sections (paragraphs) within the book that demonstrate my protagonist's negative traits. Then a way to view all those areas in a single view. Essentially a way to save "Scrivner, show me all the locations (Paragraph 2 in Chapter 1; Chapter 4 Paragraph 16; Paragraph 22 Chapter 9, etc) that have been tagged or labeled as Protag's Negative Traits at the sentence level.

kewms

Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:13 pm Post

Split your chapters into smaller chunks, either scenes or smaller. Label and keyword the smaller chunks however you like. Scrivener doesn't care.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

mh
mhuntsman

Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:17 pm Post

I appreciate your reply @ kewms.
My chapters are smaller chunks. They are scenes but a scene could be a 100 or 5,000 words. That's the problem. Creating these text documents paragraph by paragraph isn't quite functional for a 100,000 novel.

kewms

Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:45 pm Post

For a 100,000 word novel that already exists, maybe not. While you're writing one, sure.

Pretty much all Scrivener metadata is assigned at the document level. So the way to have more granular metadata is to have more granular documents.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:47 pm Post

If you want to, you can split all your paragraphs at one time, instead of as you're writing. Or you can just split out the paragraphs that are relevant and leave the other sections of your document before and after intact. Then you can use keywords, labels, status, etc..

Or, you can mark sentences with inspector comments. Prefix each note with "CharAFlaw: " or "CharBFlaw:" for easily picking out each character's negative traits.

Or, you can put an inline annotation in the text itself, always starting each annotation with "CharAFlaw:" so you can easily search for, and jump to each of the passages that are relevant.

Hopefully, one of those ideas will be useful to you.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".