New writing font for monospace lovers...

krastev
Platform: Windows

Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:13 pm Post

I downloaded Duospace from GitHub but after I installed it my Scrivener wouldn't load at all.

I get the following error in the log:
Debug: Loading Font: "C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\iAWriterDuospace_Bold.otf"
Debug: FAILED Parsing Extra Font: "C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\iAWriterDuospace_Bold.otf"

Since then I removed the font and have no problems opening Scrivener.

I wonder if someone else encountered the same problem.
Krastev
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.7.0
Windows 10 Home 64-bit

sc
scshrugged
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:47 pm Post

krastev wrote:I downloaded Duospace from GitHub but after I installed it my Scrivener wouldn't load at all.

I get the following error in the log:
Debug: Loading Font: "C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\iAWriterDuospace_Bold.otf"
Debug: FAILED Parsing Extra Font: "C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\iAWriterDuospace_Bold.otf"

Since then I removed the font and have no problems opening Scrivener.

I wonder if someone else encountered the same problem.

I didn't import Duospace into Windows (I'm on Mac). There are a couple of reported issues doing so:

https://github.com/iaolo/iA-Fonts/issues/6

If you haven't, definitely try Cousine. Silverdragon linked to it in an earlier post. Love it.

Thank you Silverdragon and nontroppo. :)

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:08 pm Post

Have you ever tired to hoover a cat? If not, I dare you to try it.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

Silverdragon
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:20 pm Post

brookter wrote:Ah, sorry. I didn't realise moggie was purely BrEng -- or hoovering for that matter.

It's just my take on the 'real' term -- cat vacuuming: something unnecessary you do when you really ought to be writing.

:lol: ROFL!!!!!

A well-placed kick in the knickers for me! As you may have guessed, I'm mildly OCD exacerbated by decades of software development where the difference between an el and a capital eye, or a capital oh and a zero could be critical—and before the days when syntax highlighting or spell checking were available, either one. Though even before that, I insisted my parents buy me a typewriter for college that had a Real Numeral One key, because using lowercase el instead bothered me for no logical reason... obviously I was destined to be a programmer even then. :D

brookter wrote:Indeed. I downloaded both the fonts suggested. Duowhatsit is nice, but that 'r' seems completely out of place, and once I'd noticed that I can't unnotice it. Cousine doesn't jar in the same way. Not sure either of them are much better than Courier Prime; in any way that I can see.

My major disappointments in Courier Prime are that I can't glance at a large oval glyph and tell if it's a capital oh or a zero, or look at a dash glyph and see whether it's a hyphen or an en-dash. If not for that, Courier Prime would be my writing font, and it's definitely my send-out-for-review font unless otherwise requested. And yeah, that Duospace lowercase r is hosed.

That said, I need to stop moggie-hoovering and get some writing done. :D
So you know where I'm coming from:
• I'm a user, not an L&L employee.
• Mac Scrivener 2.9 & 3.0.0, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.12.6 (Sierra)
• iOS Scrivener 1.1.5, iPhone 6s, iPad Air 2, iOS 11.2

br
brookter
Platform: Mac

Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:25 pm Post

It wasn't aimed at you — it was aimed at me!

devinganger
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:49 pm Post

brookter wrote:Hah!

Cat-vacuuming is quite an old term now -- I think I first came across on the old Usenet group misc.writing in the 90s but it's probably a lot older than that.

I believe the modern vernacular is now "cat-waxing" -- at least, that's what I see being used today.
--
Devin L. Ganger
Devin on Earth: http://www.devinonearth.com/
Plotter on the streets, pantser in the sheets

Le
Lee.Hauser
Platform: Win + iOS

Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:28 am Post

I learned about the new typeface via the Macstories website. Duospace doesn't do much for me, but I like the font it was derived from, IBM's new freeware corporate typeface, IBM Plex. It's intended to be a Helvetica replacement and includes monospace and proportional serif and sans serif fonts.

As nice as Plex is, I'm sticking with my Courier Prime. It makes me feel at home.

popcornflix

Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:36 pm Post

Just in case any screenwriters are reading this, you need to use a 12-point, 10-pitch mono font for screenplays. Otherwise, your page count will be off.
.:popcornFlix:.