Using Scrivener for iOS for all or most of your Scrivening?

se
se1961
Platform: Mac

Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:43 pm Post

Thanks to all for the suggestions about keyboards. Thought I would report back that I tried the magic keyboard, and decided that for me the Smart Keyboard is going to be the best option after all-- somehow it's the one that manages to both "disappear" when I don't need it, and be available at a moment's notice. At least now I will stick with it without regrets. The revelation for me was the MyScript Stylus keyboard, which was mentioned above, and which I installed on the iPad. It converts script to type and allows me to use the pencil for many more of my activities. Thank you for that! One caveat: I tried writing a long document entirely using the stylus keyboard, and it suddenly and without warning deleted an entire paragraph of text-- gone for good, without warning. I have read others describe the same problem although it seems that most never experience it-- perhaps it has to do with the position of your hand while writing...? I am going to stick with the Smart Keyboard for long important typing if I don't have my MacBook Air with me, and use the stylus for notes. I very much appreciate all the suggestions, and the fact that others think about these questions, too. :)

br
brett

Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:12 am Post

Hugh wrote:In the UK you can still obtain refurbed AWCs (on Amazon - I just checked - I may need one soon, because my existing AWC may be reaching the end of its life). But the Incase Origami looks like it may be harder to find.

The actual Origami is no more but I’ve seen what appear to be similar knockoffs on Amazon. This one might even be better, as it uses magnets rather than quickly deteriorating Velcro. I fixed mine with one of those ever-handy little binder clips.

jc
jcarman

Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:31 pm Post

Well, look at that! I do use Scrivener on iOS for most of my writing! I hadn't noticed until the question was posed.

I find, as others have, that Scrivener on iOS creates more opportunity to write, and so I have more words and more projects, but they are more unfinished words and more projects, which says to me Scrivener on iOS is great for brainstorming and the generation of words. I find myself finishing everything on my Mac.

I should say I write on an iPhone. I'm sure that impedes output. But certainly, I did not write as much on it, nor as much generally, until Scrivener on iOS came long.

Both are such great products, but I have gushed here before...

Ge
GeorgiaC

Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:00 pm Post

kewms wrote:Two biggest uses are interviews and taking notes on reading. In both cases, it's the first solution I've found that's better than paper.

Interesting. Yes, those two uses make complete sense to me. I don't do interviews, but I can see that in terms of the interaction, a tablet would be much better for those. As to taking notes while reading, I try to keep the time I spend doing that to a minimum, even though I'm an academic in the humanities - I realised I was generating far too many excerpts etc, it slowed down my reading and actually got in the way of me getting a good grasp of the 'big picture' of the text I was reading while getting too bogged down in the details.
What I do instead: I curl up on my favourite chair, too, but I read and annotate in Goodreader rather than using a split screen - I highlight relevant bits and write notes in the margins, then, in the end, I can get Goodreader to email a summary of my annotations to my Evernote account (it could also just email me a text file to any of my email accounts). I get a note in Evernote that contains the passages I highlighted and my annotations, and it tells me which page of the pdf each came from. I then work from that within Evernote on the laptop to generate a coherent summary of 2000 words or so of the book I've read; for articles, the summary is shorter. Reading is much faster that way, as marginal annotations are inconvenient enough for me to keep them to a minimum, mainly they just remind me why I thought a particular passage was important enough to highlight, or briefly allude to evidence that I think might undermine the author's argument etc, just a few words. The summaries I generate from those can be done fairly quickly as long as I do them straight after reading, and are much more useful for my own writing than loads of excerpts that it takes forever to wade through. If I find as I write I need to quote a bit that I didn't highlight - well, that's what the search function is there for :-)

I keep the summaries in Evernote, because it's my bucket for everything, due to its integration with web browsers etc, and also copy it into the research section of my Scrivener project to refer to more easily as I write.

So, I only really use Scrivener to do my own writing on articles/books rather than notes etc. Brainstorming/jotting down ideas on the go on the iPhone 5s - for that sort of writing, it doesn't matter if I can see much of the text on the screen. Then more focused/goal-oriented writing on the MBA.

kewms

Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:12 pm Post

Most of my reading is pretty technical, and I've found excerpts are useless because I just copy and paste without really internalizing. Paraphrasing as I go helps me make sure that I actually understand what the author has done. Then I break the notes on each relevant article into chunks and use Scrivener's corkboard or Scapple to group similar topics together as the first step toward an outline.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

devinganger
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:23 am Post

kewms wrote:Most of my reading is pretty technical, and I've found excerpts are useless because I just copy and paste without really internalizing. Paraphrasing as I go helps me make sure that I actually understand what the author has done.

I do something similar. I'll do excerpts, but highlight them a different color to let me know they're copied text. Then I'll start writing my own version. At some point, the excerpts go away (perhaps leaving a reference, perhaps not).
--
Devin L. Ganger
Devin on Earth: http://www.devinonearth.com/
Plotter on the streets, pantser in the sheets

Hu
Hugh

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:40 am Post

'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'