rlilloy
Platform: Windows

Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:34 pm Post

Do you recommend anyone course online?

Ch
ChrisRosser
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:46 am Post

Personally, I don't. Best to dive in and write!

There's plenty of resources at hand

1. Walk through Scrivener's official tutorial
2. Watch the videos
3. Read the manual
4. Ask questions in the Forum as needed -> we're a friendly bunch :)
5. There's also some good How-to books as well.
Mild-mannered Technical Writer by day, closet fantasist by night
I run Scrivener on macOS and iOS :mrgreen:
NanoWriMo| Twitter | Website | Facebook

Sanguinius

Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:49 pm Post

If you find a good free online course, I'd say it can't hurt to give it a look. But there are a number of paid courses/trainings out there that I would steer clear of. Mainly because they're not going to give you any additional information that you can't pick up from thoroughly working through the tutorial, giving the manual a read, and asking any questions on this -- completely free -- forum.

The benefit of online courses is that they show you how best to figure out the things that you would most likely be able to figure out on your own simply by using the program and working through its settings using trial and error. They've done the trial and error and know what does what, so that you don't have to learn why something does what it does, you just know that it does it. Personally, I think the best learning comes from working with something and figuring it out, rather than having someone tell me how to work with it.

Your results may vary, though.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:44 pm Post

I bought an e-book which actually helped me. I like books. :)

ka
kathpoole

Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:53 pm Post

I got through 50% of David Lee Martin's Udemy course called LEARN SCRIVENER - A Quick & Easy Guide and found it to be worth every penny. He demonstrates all the robust capabilities, including back up to Drop box on closing. Don't ask why I think this is a grand tool. You can scan the subjects of each video and select the one you need.
Cheers,
KathPoole 8)

christianf
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:46 am Post

I liked "Writing a Novel with Scrivener" by David Hewson very much.

If you are looking for a German book, I recommend my own "Scrivener: Romane, Sach- und Drehbücher professionell schreiben" :D

lo
lometogo
Platform: Mac

Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:35 am Post

I love Karen Prince's work: freebies and paid. She's a great person to boot. Here's her URL: http://www.karen-prince.com/

la
landyvlad

Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:52 pm Post

I know it has been a while but I think it is worth resurrecting this thread, as UDEMY is currently having a sale with many courses (including Scrivener courses and writing courses) available for USD$10 / AUD $15

see: https://www.udemy.com/courses/search/?q ... =scrivener

This offer is evidently available until August 31 2017.

KathPoole, above, stated she was happy with David Lee Martin's Udemy course called LEARN SCRIVENER - A Quick & Easy Guide.

I have enjoyed youtube tutorial by Karen Prince and her course - Scrivener | Full Course on How to Write a Book in Scrivener - looks pretty good also.

Both are rated 4.7/5, both are on sale for the price noted above.

I'm just tossing up between the two... I think I prefer karen's narration so will probably go with hers.

Cheers all

la
landyvlad

Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:24 am Post

Well, I have just finished the course by Karen Price (Scrivener | Full Course on How to Write a Book in Scrivener), and I HIGHLY recommend it for anyone new to scrivener. I had been getting a bit frustrated with scrivener but now I have a much better understanding of it and a renewed confidence allowing me to get back into the writing...

The udemy AUD$15 sale ($USD10 I believe) is still on for the next few days if anyone is interested.

Cheers