What fonts do you use?

Tu
Turgon
Platform: Mac

Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:53 am Post

I use Nitti Light, Light Italic, Medium, and Medium Italic. Love them, but I find the bold too dark, so the Medium is what I use for bold. only problem with this set up is that Command-B doesn't work.

I can't get over how awesome Nitti Light is for my use. Here's how I have my full screen set up in Scriv:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-02-10 at 10.51.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-02-10 at 10.51.55 PM.png (207.78 KiB) Viewed 1009 times

sa
saoir

Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:34 pm Post

I only started using Scrivener at the beginning of the year for writing my first book. I have experience of writing longer documents in business and had already known that my choice of font would affect how I write and how I am able to grasp what I am writing in type, quickly.

After messing around with the seemingly hundreds of fonts on my iMac, though not every one I hasten to add, I eventually settled on:

Book Antiqua

Amazingly I haven't felt like changing it for many moons now.
Howard Brittain

Author of just published "Vineyard"
An MI5/Thriller.
Blog

be
benlovejoy

Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:36 pm Post

American Typewriter is my favourite typeface for writing. Obviously when I compile for an agent or publisher, it's back to boring old Times New Roman.

Hu
Hugh

Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:21 pm Post

I've always liked the Sabon family of fonts. I was introduced to them by a designer friend long, long ago, when he used them on something we worked on together, and I subsequently kept a set on my Windows machines for use instead of TNR (which I otherwise use a lot). Since the transition to the Mac, I have not had them, but this thread has reminded me to seek some out, download and use them.
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

ch
cheryllocascio
Platform: Windows

Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:51 am Post

For the writings like essays, stories and all, I usually make use of Times New Roman in MS word with the size of 12. And if I am using the font for any designing purpose I would first prefer Conmic Sans. I first lookat some site and check the font type and size whether it suits for my document or not, and change the font styles accordingly.

NOTE: Edited by moderator to remove link to a website that is potentially of a spam nature.

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:33 pm Post

I agree. If it was up to me, Scrivener would come with only two fonts: Comic Sans and Papyrus.
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

Br
Briar Kit

Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:09 pm Post

I smell spam.
Account closed January 2017

be
benlovejoy

Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:13 pm Post

pigfender wrote:I agree. If it was up to me, Scrivener would come with only two fonts: Comic Sans and Papyrus.

That's ridiculous! What about WingDings?

br
brett

Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:14 pm Post

This guide may prove useful.

pigfender

Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:20 pm Post

Screen Shot 2014-08-21 at 17.18.32.png
Screen Shot 2014-08-21 at 17.18.32.png (85.31 KiB) Viewed 764 times
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

pigfender

Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:27 pm Post

brett wrote:This guide may prove useful.

Thank you! I've had to stop reading because I'm at work and suddenly aware that I should be, you know, not reading about fonts at work, but what I've read so far is fascinating and has been added to the reading list for my journey home this evening. :D

nom
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:15 pm Post

pigfender wrote:
brett wrote:This guide may prove useful.

Thank you! I've had to stop reading because I'm at work and suddenly aware that I should be, you know, not reading about fonts at work, but what I've read so far is fascinating and has been added to the reading list for my journey home this evening. :D

Wow! I clicked on the link for a quick look to see what the fuss was about. 45 minutes later...

To anyone else reading this: check out the web book, Butterick's Practical Typography by Matthew Butterick. If you're reading this thread, presumably you have an interest in typography, so I'm sure you'll find something interesting in his book. For those that have no interest in typography, check out his discussion about the economics of web-content.

Worth bookmarking and revisiting (and paying for).
Complete and utter NOMsense.

Ro
RobynJane

Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:09 pm Post

Repeated studies have shown that while pages printed in a fully-justified non-serif font are pretty to look at, ragged-right justification with a serif font is easier to read. Since up until now, the bulk of my writing has been academic, I modified most of my templates in MS Word, AbiWord, and other word processors to use ragged-right justification with Times New Roman, 10-pt font, thus meeting every standard of academic writing.

Now that I'm starting Scrivener, I'll probably stick to the same format.
"She used to wanna be a ballerina." Buffy Ste. Marie
"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between." Oscar Wilde

nom
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:38 am Post

RobynJane wrote:Repeated studies have shown that while pages printed in a fully-justified non-serif font are pretty to look at, ragged-right justification with a serif font is easier to read. Since up until now, the bulk of my writing has been academic, I modified most of my templates in MS Word, AbiWord, and other word processors to use ragged-right justification with Times New Roman, 10-pt font, thus meeting every standard of academic writing.

Now that I'm starting Scrivener, I'll probably stick to the same format.

I've long heard that serif fonts are easier to read (dating back to the 1980s), but I've never found any studies to support the claims. I'd really like to see them - can you provide some references?
Complete and utter NOMsense.

Sanguinius

Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:26 pm Post

Here's a study:
"Do serifs provide an advantage in the recognition of written words?" by Carmen Moret-Tatay and Manuel Perea, published in the Journal Of Cognitive Psychology, 2011, 23 (5), pp 619-624.
http://www.uv.es/~mperea/serif_JCP.pdf

And here's a fun little infographic that gives a lot of the same information in an easier to digest format:
http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2013/03/serif-vs-sans-the-final-battle

The gist:
Serif fonts are easier to read on paper, sans serif on screens.