What fonts do you use?

Orpheus
Platform: Mac

Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:55 am Post

r6d2 wrote:Ibarra Real. Found it, loved it for final drafts.

Ibarra Real.jpg

A beautiful font.

nontroppo

Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:32 am Post

Ibarra Real is available from here:

http://www.unostiposduros.com/unostipos ... arra-real/

Spanish Wikipedia page has more info on its history: https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibarra_Real

"Ibarra Real was originally selected by Joaquín Ibarra for the Spanish Real Academy 1780 print of El Quijote"

nontroppo

Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:19 am Post

And on the topic of historical revival, this labour of love is also a beauty (I prefer humanist serifs like this to neoclassical serifs):

http://www.georgduffner.at/ebgaramond/

Check the specimen PDF here, lots of lovely opentype features (swashes, alternative ampersands that are gorgeous, a wonderful contextual ligature for [a|e|i|u]s, lovely long tail Q etc.), a true italic taken from Granjon, cyrillic and greek and lots of western characters, but no bold yet:

https://github.com/georgd/EB-Garamond/b ... f?raw=true

Orpheus

Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:43 am Post

nontroppo wrote:Ibarra Real is available from here:

http://www.unostiposduros.com/unostipos ... arra-real/

Thank you.

Ci
Cinder6

Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:44 am Post

I fell in love with Nitti iA when iA Writer came out with it a few years ago. After a lot of work, I finally managed to extract the raw OTF files, and it's now my default drafting font. Before that, I liked Menlo.

Orpheus

Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:26 pm Post

AmberV wrote:Libertine (of Wikipedia fame) was linked to above, but if you like those kinds of flared hybrid fonts you might like Biolinium, also from the Libertine project, or Optima, free with every Mac. They are low-key and very clean, but have that subtle quasi-serif feel to them. I like these kinds of fonts in my index cards and outliner in Scrivener.

Do you know of any flared hybrid font that is unicode and supports diacritic marks for Sanskrit transliterations?

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:43 pm Post

That is an intersection of variables I am unfamiliar with. :)
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Orpheus

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:03 am Post

AmberV wrote:That is an intersection of variables I am unfamiliar with. :)

I should not have mentioned Sanskrit as a variable because if they are unicode Sanskrit is covered. So the main thing is they should be unicode.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:35 am Post

I did a search on MyFonts for “flared sans-serif” with fonts that have over 50,000 glyphs and got a fair number of results. At a quick scan, it looks like these tags are used somewhat liberally—not everything is in the realm of what you are looking for—but there seem to be a good number!
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

DavidWSnow

Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:25 pm Post

When I am selecting fonts to use, I have several priorities that affect my choices:
1. Today publications are read on screen devices a huge percentage of the time I always want a font that was designed to look good on digital devices. This usually means that the font was designed in the last 10 years, because before that paper was used the bulk of the time. Fonts that work well on screens are a bit “stronger” than those designed for paper.
2. I want fonts with an “open license” such as SIL. This means that I can use them for commercial work and even re-distribute them if necessary.
3. I like fonts that have two or more weights (regular and bold) and they must have italics for each weight. Having three or more weights is a bonus. The extra weights are rarely used within the text, but often come in handy for the cover.
4. The font must have all of the special characters of a Latin-1 font. ​‌
5. The fonts MUST have all of the numbers full-height and aligned on the baseline. Nothing looks uglier than having a hierarchal heading number where the numbers wonder all over the baseline when compared to the rest of the heading. I also care about the vertical alignment and size of ®©™. I like it when ® and ™ are smaller and raised like a superscript, since that is the way that they are usually used.
6. I like it when I can find both a Serif and Sans Serif font that were designed to look good together.
7. Above all the font must look good!

If you use Scrivener for iOS, then you MUST remember to install any font used in you project on the iOS device or you will end up reverting the fonts back to Scrivener's defaults!
=======

My Current Favorites
• Google’s Noto Serif –– (https://goo.gl/9kTvhA) Is available in two weights with italics. Google has done a great job of seeing that the font is very well populated i.e. no missing glyphs. Missing characters often are displayed as a white rectangle––called a Tofu. The Noto in the font’s name stands for No Tofu.
• Monzilla’s Fira Sans –– (https://goo.gl/rozfBG) is available in many weights, condensed and all have italics. These fonts are also available as condensed (taller & narrower) form in many weights.
• Monzilla’s Fira Mono –– (https://goo.gl/S8dA2N) is available in three weights, but no italics.
• Google’s Courgette —(https://goo.gl/21uvMc) is a really nice handwriting font. Surprisingly this font has most of the Latin-1 character set. It only has one weight and no italic which is common for a handwriting font.
Attachments
Noto-Serif.png
Noto-Serif.png (113.81 KiB) Viewed 879 times
Fira-Sans.png
Fira-Sans.png (139.57 KiB) Viewed 880 times
Fira-Mono.png
Fira-Mono.png (105.78 KiB) Viewed 880 times

Orpheus

Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:59 am Post

I'm using MS Word 2011 and just found out that it doesn't like fonts with too many wieghts as can be seen in this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=39043

Had to disable some options for Word to work. May not be a problem in Word 2016.

Na
NaOH
Platform: Windows

Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:05 am Post

On MAC I was using Helvetica Neue, which looks different on Windows; so I switched to Segoe UI. I like it, it's plain and simple.

la
landyvlad

Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:49 am Post

I never gave much thought to fonts until recently.

I changed the fonts I had been using (mostly Times New Roman, in a too small size) to Calibri 18 for all my Scrivener screen work. SO much better ! (thanks Karen Price)

Thank you DavidWSnow for that post of yours.
Your logic, and what you are wanting in a font, makes absolute sense to me so I'll definitely look further into those fonts.

Cheers

gp
gpc78

Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:50 pm Post

I use Freestyle Script size 24, just because it looks like handwriting.

Re
Reddazrael

Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:34 pm Post

I used Calibri for a very long time, until this topic encouraged me to look for something I liked better. I spent hours trying out different fonts. I spent a few months using Merriweather, which I absolutely love for my schoolwork or anything professional, but don't like for my fiction writing. I prefer sans serif fonts for that. I just spent another four hours last night hunting through fonts -- with viable candidates being Ubuntu, Lato, Open Sans, and Fira Sans, among a few others -- but no matter how many I tried, I always found something that I didn't like about them (Ubuntu, for instance, was rendering w's strangely in size 10 font, which was the only size that felt right). I was ready to give up and go back to Calibri when I hit on Source Sans Pro. I'm using it now for my creative work and I'm wondering where it's been all my life.

That said, I have a minor problem now: I want Merriweather for professional work and Source Sans Pro for creative work. Do I have to keep changing the default font through the options menu depending on which I'm working on, or is there an easier and quicker way to switch between default fonts?