What fonts do you use?

Bl
Bluesman
Platform: Windows

Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:35 pm Post

I'm curious what fonts you guys use to work in. I've always worked in MS Word and imported it into Scrivener, so I'm still on Calibri, which is a font I like. It's nice and modern-looking, especially when printed out. That said, most books I've read use a serif font. I tried working with that, too, and I like it as well. They both have their appeal and I'm not 100% sure yet which I like better.

Any thoughts?

Sanguinius

Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:29 pm Post

Times New Roman is my BFF. It's serifs make it easy to read, and it has very distinct bold and italicized types, unlike some other fonts. Classics never go out of style.

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:41 pm Post

I write in the Editor using Courier New.
My Scrivener interface / Menus and Binder are in a bespoke font based on Interstate.
I use Merriweather for the Outliner. This also looks good for the Menus (since Interstate is a paid font).
I also use Merriweather for the Corkboard titles and text, and Sketch Rockwell for the Status stamps.

When compiling, I use Garamond for pretty much everything, with the exception of any title text on a Part separator, where I use good ol' Arial in full caps.

If you don't know it, I'd definitely encourage you to check out Merriweather. It's free, and was specifically designed with being easy to read on a computer screen in mind.
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

Br
Briar Kit
Platform: Mac

Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:57 pm Post

Palatino, for me.
Account closed January 2017

sfosparky

Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:48 pm Post

I've recently been using Garamond for body text and bolded Verdana for headings.

People seem to like the results.

Note, too, that Baskerville has some claim to producing the most credible copy:

http://proswrite.com/2012/08/10/the-baskerville-typeface-effect/

Cheers,
Riley
SFO

xiamenese

Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:56 pm Post

For editing I use Adobe Garamond Pro for the text in most projects and Optima for inspector notes. If I’m going to be using IPA phonetics, I use Baskerville for the text as that works better with Charis SIL. For exporting, anything that will be distributed in PDF form or on paper remains in Garamond Pro or Baskerville/Charis SIL; anything that I’m sending to colleagues as an RTF, I compile in Times New Roman for compatibility.
The Scrivenerato sometimes known as Mr X.
MacBook Pro Retina 10.13, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MacBook Pro 17" (late 2011) 10.13, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
iPad Air 2, iOS 11, 64GB
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Hu
Hugh

Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:14 pm Post

Various forms of Courier for my own purposes or when a monospace font is required, TNR for anything more 'formal'. Always have, probably always will.
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:17 pm Post

I always find that this font caters to nearly all my typing requirements:
vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Siren
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:51 pm Post

Left to my own devices, I currently use Georgia for most things (Didot if I'm feeling sprightly and frivolous, and if I'm not sending the output to anyone else), with Helvetica Neue for sans-serif headings, and Menlo on the rare occasions on which I need something mono-spaced. If I'm sending stuff to other people, I tend to switch to Times New Roman, Arial and Courier, on the grounds that those fonts can't be deemed unsuitable.
Literature & Latte support team

ma
marcoiac

Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:10 am Post

Inconsolata, whenever I can

br
brett

Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:34 pm Post

Love this topic! Always interested to know how others make it easier on their eyes. At the moment, after dalliances with Garamond, Lucida Grande, Helvetica Neue, and Courier, I'm back in Verdana, which seems to be fine... for now! I think my favorite font is the one used in Writer, Nitti Light. Wish I could have that in Scrivener and everywhere else.
While we're on the subject, what colors/backgrounds are other scriveners using?

jtranter

Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:43 pm Post

After dallying with the wonderful Fournier New font from Francois Rappo in Switzerland and finding (a) that it had a problem with faulty kerning tables and OS X Lion Refused to allow it to be loaded, and (b) it had recently disappeared from their site, I decided to try Linux Libertine, a free and open source font. Won't be much good, I thought: wrong. It's a lovely, fully-featured font, unobtrusive and good for any job. My publisher BlazeVox in Buffalo NY State has fallen in love with it too. Linux Biolinum (a near-clone of Optima) is the sans-serif.
URL at http://www.linuxlibertine.org/index.php?id=1&L=1
I use black type with off-white or dull green backgrounds at 150%.
John Tranter
2010 iMac, 4Gb 1076 MHz RAM, 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Filco Tenkeyless (Brown Cherry switches) keyboard (Clicketty click!)

Sanguinius

Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:38 am Post

As far as colors go, I'm using a light gray font on a blue background, sort of like the old WordPerfect setup. Specifically, the font color is Hue: 0, Sat: 0, Val: 222, Red: 222, Green: 222, Blue: 222, Alpha channel: 255. The editor background color is Hue: 240, Sat: 255, Val: 100, Red: 0, Green: 0, Blue: 100, Alpha channel: 255.

All of the other colors are default right now.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:47 am Post

.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Ta
Tacitus

Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:46 am Post

@AmberV:
OliveGreen mono looks good, but given that the only price I can find is $160US, I think I'll pass. :D
History is a nightmare from which I am trying to escape