Template Library

ch
chrisweuve

Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:42 am Post

Shrikered wrote:Although good templates are desirable, in my observation the incentives are not there for private parties to do much work on them. Only giant armies of developers, eg Microsoft, have the resources to develop them commercially, and MS does it mainly because there is virtually no reason to upgrade to the next version, so they create an artificial one. The only exception is that on occasion the developers themselves contribute their own very simple templates, as a marketing tool. That's what comes with Scrivener today.

I don't recall anyone suggesting "commercially developing" templates, rather, the discussion was about finding a way to better distribute them, and supporting further development.

Shrikered wrote:So although I support the wiki suggestion, I don't expect many templates in any case,

Why? To date there are already a fair number of templates created by end users. I for one would be happy to put up any templates I create, and encourage other users to modify them (and post the mods) as they see fit. The entire point of doing a wiki is that the development can be incremental.

Shrikered wrote:and I don't think L&L should spend his time on putting together any kind of template exchange. (If users want to throw together a wiki, that's another story.)

My first inclination to this was to simply volunteer to do it myself. That may still be an option, but I have to explore a few things. That having been said, it seems to me that the natural place for such an exchange is on this site. That's where the current template library resides, and it is where people will look for such things. A user site has the possibility of the links going dead or some such, whereas I am confident the L&L site will be around.

Furthermore, this is to some degree a marketing function and a support function. Marketing in that it highlights resources that are available, support in that there are numerous requests on the forum for templates. (In fact, that's how this particular thread got started.)

If I thought this would do anything but decrease Keith's work in general, I wouldn't have suggested it.

Shrikered wrote: As most of us probably know, producing something like a template that is general and robust enough for other people to use is several times as much work as just throwing something together for oneself.

Actually, I don't know that -- not at all. Last time I checked, the only determinant was "is it useful?" Chances are, if you find it useful, someone else will to -- or they will modify it and post the modified version.

ku
kunau

Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:11 pm Post

Much information on how to export my own templates.

I simply want the templates that appear to be standard. Specifically the Research and Ph.D. project templates. Shouldn't I see more than this?

Picture 1.png
templates I see
Picture 1.png (37.01 KiB) Viewed 3116 times

Any suggestions? Something else I need to download and install?

Thanks,

TMK

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:57 pm Post

Those are the default templates as of now. Unless something has changed, I think the template library will be expanded a bit in the next update.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

ku
kunau

Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:11 pm Post

AmberV wrote:Those are the default templates as of now. Unless something has changed, I think the template library will be expanded a bit in the next update.

I haven't been able to locate the research and Ph.D. dissertation templates I've seen in other screen shots.

Any pointers to those?

Thanks,

TMK

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:30 pm Post

Okay, I believe those were user submissions, not part of the standard package. There are links to the Ph.d template at least at the very top of this thread, have you tried those? If those links do not work any more, you'll have to contact the original creator. Some of these templates go all the way back to some of the original public betas.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

An
Anael

Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:41 pm Post

Hi there everybody. I just created a new template called Cookbook that's just that: a recipe book. I don't know if many of you writers cook but I know I love to do it. You'll find a rather detailed presentation of the template on my blog at http://scriptapart.wordpress.com/
Feel free to share.
Attachments
Extras Installer.zip
Extra Installer containing the Cookbook template
(267.74 KiB) Downloaded 3546 times

Jo
Jolanth Szatmary
Platform: Mac

Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:49 am Post

That's fantastic, thanks!