Delays when saving

rs
rsgranne

Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:06 am Post

My Mac: MacBook Pro, 2 GHz Core Duo, 2 GB RAM, with 30 MB free.

I'm working on a document in Scrivener beta 5 that is currently 4,233 words. Saves occur automatically; however, I'm seeing the beach ball far too often. Manual saves also show me the spinning beach ball.

It doesn't seem to me that I should be seeing the beach ball. 4000 words isn't that many, and I've already split things up into different pieces quite a bit. I'm not sure if this is a beta thing that will be corrected, or if it's just that I crossed a threshold that prevents saves that completely occur in the background.

Thoughts?

Thanks ... and I really love Scrivener, gbtw.

Scott

Ma
Maria

Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:49 am Post

del
Last edited by Maria on Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:16 am Post

You certainly shouldn't be seeing any slowdown when saving on such a small project, especially with your system specs. On the other hand, it might be because of the very little hard drive space you have left - I know on my old iBook, when I got down to only a few MB of disk space left, things started running a lot slower in a lot of programs. Try freeing up some space and see if that helps. Otherwise, as Maria suggests, check to see if you have any other software running that might be slowing things down.
Best regards,
Keith

lg
lgoodman

Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:27 pm Post

Just for the record, I also experience delays due to autosave. In my case the problem is that I save all my files on a USB pen and it's just not as fast as a regular hard drive.

I really wish autosave could be turned off, but apparently that's not option. I just think it's overkill.

Lawrence

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:05 pm Post

Saving on a USB pen will always, naturally, be slow - on any program. Auto-save is indeed built-in to 1.0, and it will not be optional in the foreseeable future, so it is probably best to save it on your hard drive and then move it to your pen.
Best,
Keith

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:24 pm Post

Further, using a USB flash device as a working "drive" has its risks. They work great as little floppy disks, but as with floppies, when a lot of active reading and writing is going on, they have a tendency to corrupt bits of data. When using file formats such as Scrivener's Project bundles, this could potentially mean parts of your project getting messed up without you even knowing for a long time.

There is a good reason why there are a girth of applications on the market for flash card data recovery. Any digital photographer that has used and relied upon a bag full of flash cards knows that eventually something will go wrong and you'll lose data.

So, just another vote for working on your local drive, and using the USB device strictly for transport and read-only reference.

One other reason: Unlike hard drives, flash technology has a very limited number of writes available to each storage bit. It could be that more recent cards are better, but a year or two ago, most cards could only handle around 500 writes before they started causing data problems. Reading is another matter. There is no practical limit to how many times a card can be read. It is a bit like CD-RW. The technology used to write and store data is a degrading process. Eventually the properties used to store data break down.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles