Scrivener beta 5 now available for download

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:43 pm Post

Hello,

Scrivener beta 5 is now available for download here:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/dlbet ... erRCb5.dmg

The full list of changes can be found in the readme file and at the bottom of this post. Please note that the Help file is only about half-complete. Please feel free to browse through what is there and give me feedback, put please don't post any bug reports about how clicking on some of the links doesn't do anything - that's because those sections haven't been written yet. :) It is a very tedious and time-consuming job.

The inspector has had a minor overhaul, too, so that you can now hide the upper elements if you so wish, sort of Aperture style, and the pop-up button at the bottom has been replaced by tab buttons.

Oh, and I may very soon start asking for translators... Don't hold me to that, though.

All the best,
Keith

CHANGES TO BETA 5:
- Auto-generated synopses now replace tab and newline characters with spaces, to avoid strange synopses with lots of blank space in them.
- Script elements menu can now be brought up using cmd-Y in full screen as well as in the standard editor view (a minor oversight in beta 4).
- Fixed bug introduced in beta 4.1 whereby word count and character counts don't get inserted into the exported text.
- Fixed bug where Find Annotation and Find Highlight panels would hang when trying to start the search during an Edit Scrivenings session.
- Fixed bug whereby recent projects would not get opened automatically if Scrivener was set to be opened automatically upon login.
- Added separate Export Draft option for specifying whether to export file groups (text containers).
- Added 30-day trial code.
- Added advanced auto-numbering feature: if you place "<$rst>" before an auto-numbering variable, the count for that variable type will get restarted. Note that this must be placed straight before the variable with no spaces. Eg: <$rst><$W> will cause the capitalised word autonumbering to start back at "ONE". Thus you can now have, for instance, Part I, Chapter One, Chapter Two, Part II, Chapter One, Chapter Two, etc.
- Minor improvements to "Move To", so that it works with the currently focussed document in the editor as well as with the selection in the binder, outliner and corkboard.
- Convert Formatting commands now work on documents in corkboard and outliner, too.
- Added disclosure triangle next to "General" header in inspector. Clicking it will collapse the "General" pane that holds information on labels, status and so forth. This allows you to have only the index card and notes visible if you so wish. Note that it is not really possible to have a disclosure button for every element, given that so many of the elements require flexible sizes and are thus better suited to having different panes, but this should at least provide a solution for 90% of users who just want the index card and notes and nothing more.
- Text modes pop up button does not sit so unnecessarily wide in the toolbar any longer.
- Added code so that when footnotes are exported, the footnote numbers are in superscript (as they should be).
- Fixed bug whereby if one pane was "locked in place" with outliner or corkboard visible, and you tried to use "Open in Alternate Editor" from this locked pane, it would just beep and do nothing.
- You can now drag text from any application (including the text inside Scrivener) directly into the binder, which will create a new text document using the text on the pasteboard (this means that you can drag individual text documents from DevonTHINK straight into the binder, now).
- Added "Selection Affects Alternate Editor" toggle to View menu. This is also available via a toggle button (with a picture of two arrows on it) in the footer view of the editor when the corkboard and outliner is visible. Turning this on allows you to use Scrivener as a three-pane outliner if you wish. If this is turned on, when you select an item in the corkboard or outliner, the selected item is automatically opened in the other editor pane. This saves you from using the "Open in alternate editor" command all of the time, and allows you to set up your workspace with even more flexibility.
- Fixed bug whereby "Scrivener Link" may appear more and more times in the contextual menu every time you ctrl-click on an image in a text view.
- Fixed bug whereby dragging documents across to another project and dropping "on" to another document would cause the documents to be copied in reverse order.
- Fixed a bug in Replace All which could cause the app to hang in some situations.
- "Locked in Place" status is now saved between sessions.
- Scaling of PICT files should now (hopefully) work inside a text view. Note that Mozilla browsers convert images to PICT format when you copy and paste them into Scrivener, and in previous versions, PICT files could not be scaled.
- Fixed minor bug in Snapshots panel whereby if you took a new snapshot after deleting some old snapshots, the deleted snapshots would magically reappear.
- You can now drag "promised files" into Scrivener. Promised files are just the same as normal files, and as a user you don't need to worry about what they are. Basically, when dragging from some applications (such as DevonThink), the actual files don't exist until they are dropped somewhere - the application just "promises" to create the files so another application can use it. NOTE: there is a bug in DevonThink that means that you still cannot drag promised files from DT into Scrivener. It will look as though the drag is going to occur, but then nothing will actually get imported. This is because DT does not tell Scrivener which files it is creating as it should. The DT developers are aware of this. For now, you can just select all of the text in a DT document and drag the text itself to Scrivener's binder directly.
- Fixed bug in keywords HUD whereby dragging groups of keywords within the HUD would just copy the selected keyword rather than move it along with its children.
- Overhauled the Inspector. Now both the synopsis and the general pane are collapsible. Below that, you can switch between notes, keywords and references using buttons at the bottom of the inspector. This makes the inspector somewhat less schizophrenic.
- Set Selection as Title is now available in full screen (to please those with dual monitors) - please note, however, that not all commands will be available in full screen mode, as full screen mode is not intended to offer all features of the main window.
- BUG FIX: search would not always return all documents when using a "Whole Word" search - it was, in fact, only checking for the first word in the document, and if this wasn't a whole word, the document wouldn't be returned by the search. Scrivener now continues looking through the document for other occurrences if the first one fails, as it should.
- When exporting the draft as (non-MMD) HTML files, the HTML <title> is now taken from the header (in the Text Options tab), or from the project file name if there is no header set.
- Fixed silly bug whereby typing in full screen inspector HUD notes text view when in a scriptwriting mode would affect the main text and do nothing in the notes text view.
- You can now set the corkboard background to an arbitrary colour rather than just a shade of grey (via Preferences, Fonts & Colors).
- There is now the option to turn of lines in index cards (via Preferences, Fonts & Colors).
- Started the Help file (about half-complete).
Last edited by KB on Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

alexwein

Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:24 pm Post

I'm a little confused by one thing. One of your fixes says you made it possible to drag things directly from programs (which is awesome!!!) including DevonThink, and a later one says that there is a bug that prevents dragging files from DT, so you have to select the text and drag that. I must be misunderstanding, because I can grab a file (from Dt's binder) and drag it just fine into Scrivener.

If you could clarify this issue that would be great. Thanks! And THANKS!!! for making this possible. It will save a lot of time and effort for many of us!

Alexandria
Inspiration is for amateurs...the rest of us just show up.
-Chuck Close
http://alexandriapallas.com

alexwein

Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:27 pm Post

Btw, the new inspector views make all the sense in the world. Now I'll have to get used to having notes in the bottom pane, but that will take all of about a minute! :) Very nice!

PS I sometimes wonder, what could take so long between betas, and then I see your list of fixes! And then I stop wondering. :)
-Chuck Close

Eiron

Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:37 pm Post

Alex,

You're both right. I think you'll find that you can drag files that are indexed from DT into Scrivener but not drag files that exist only within DT. For the moment you do have to select the actual text of an RTF file in DT and drag that into Scriv. Good enough until Christian fixes the promised files issue in DT.

Cheers,

E

Ti
Timotheus

Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:07 pm Post

But when I try to open the new tutorial, I get the message: "The document "Tutorial.scriv" could not be opened. The project is not writable. Scrivener does not support read-only projects". Am I the only one who can't open the tutorial?

Eiron

Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:13 pm Post

Drag the file off the (locked) disk image and you'll be able to open it.

Cheers
E

KB
Site Admin

Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:18 pm Post

Exactly - you the tutorial must be on a writable disk in order for it to be opened. And before anyone says anything, yes, that should probably be made clear on the image on which the icons appear in the DMG, but that will change for 1.0 anyway.

Ti
Timotheus

Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:28 pm Post

Ah, but what I see then is identical or very similar to the tutorial of some beta's ago. Am I right in saying that the tutorial has remained more or less the same, and that to the tutorial a Reference Guide will be added?

KB
Site Admin

Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:34 pm Post

The tutorial hasn't changed since beta 1. That will be the last thing to get updated. When I talk about the "Help", I mean the help that is available via the "Help" menu inside Scrivener - this is what I am working on at the moment, some of which you can now see in beta 5.

Lord Lightning

Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:21 pm Post

Now it really is time to massage your ego. b5 is superlative so there are no superlatives to describe it.

Small spelling error above in the release notes:

There is now the option to turn of lines in index cards (via Preferences, Fonts & Colors)
(second last line).

Should be 'off'.

Keith, I know the Help file is still a work in progress so this observation is probably not relevant - but clicking on Exporting, Printing and MultiMarkdown does not point to any 'notes' on those topics. The others all work and point to work you have already completed or 'notes' for work still to do.

The new Inspector with its collapsible panels is just outstanding. It really does add that 'God, I love Scrivener' factor.

Thanks so much for all the work you have done to get this beta ready. I am really looking forward to purchasing a registration licence.

:D :D :D
Lord Lightning

I'm a writer. I create worlds!
When I make a declarative statement it applies to ME. Not to everyone.

KB
Site Admin

Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:24 pm Post

Thanks Lord Lightning! Glad you like the new beta! :) As for the help file:

Lord Lightning wrote:Keith, I know the Help file is still a work in progress so this observation is probably not relevant - but clicking on Exporting, Printing and MultiMarkdown does not point to any 'notes' on those topics. The others all work and point to work you have already completed or 'notes' for work still to do.

KB wrote:Please feel free to browse through what is there and give me feedback, put please don't post any bug reports about how clicking on some of the links doesn't do anything - that's because those sections haven't been written yet. It is a very tedious and time-consuming job.

Best,
Keith

Eiron

Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:34 pm Post

Thanks so much for all the work you have done to get this beta ready. I am really looking forward to purchasing a registration licence.

Same here, Keith. To think how much big money and manpower goes into producing software that isn't half this useful and beautiful. A real joy to work in.

E

alexwein

Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:05 pm Post

Eiron wrote:Alex,

You're both right. I think you'll find that you can drag files that are indexed from DT into Scrivener but not drag files that exist only within DT. For the moment you do have to select the actual text of an RTF file in DT and drag that into Scriv. Good enough until Christian fixes the promised files issue in DT.

Weird. I thought I responded to this but I see no reply. The files that I'm dragging from DT to Scr. are not indexed but are DT entries. I even created a new rtf in DT and then dragged it to Scr. It was created in DT just fine by dragging the file entry in Dt's binder to Scr.'s binder. I didn't have to select the text and drag that.

I'm using the DT Pro beta--don't know if that makes a difference, though it shouldn't, I don't think.
-Chuck Close

KB
Site Admin

Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:43 pm Post

Actually, that probably does make a difference. You say you are using a new DT beta - so Christian has probably fixed the bug in the latest DT beta that prevented this from working before.

Eiron

Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:51 am Post

That's odd; I thought I was using the latest DT Beta (1.2.2beta4) is yours more recent? If I drag an internal RTF file from DT to Scriv, the input place is marked with a horizontal line and a flash occurs as I drop but nothing is actually transferred. Is yours the "Office" version? I've gone back to regular Pro since this last (?) beta.

E