ETA?

aw
awpstrike

Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:46 am Post

Hey Keith,

How's are things going? Any idea when Scrivener will be released? Hopefully before the beta expires, at least.

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:09 pm Post

Heheh, it's that time already, is it? The obligatory "when is the next version available, then?" thread. :)

The only thing holding back the next beta is the help file, which is very onerous (it's about half-complete). After that, the only thing holding back Scrivener going on sale is me getting off my backside and scanning in some forms and e-mailing them to eSellerate and then sending some forms to Apple USA so I can use the Universal Binary logo on the Scrivener webpage.

Either way, the beta doesn't expire until mid-January, by which time Scrivener 1.0 should definitely be on sale, barring any major disasters (such as spontaneous human combustion on my part, for instance).

All the best,
Keith

fl
fletcher

Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:28 pm Post

I have sent a brief intro to MMD to Keith for his documentation, but this looks like a good place to repeat my call for help from anyone interested in helping to improve the MMD and Scrivener documentation. I have an introductory document started, but would appreciate help from interested persons....

Also (and perhaps more importantly) I would love some good sample documents to show off how powerful this system can be (e.g. a Scrivener doc in MMD format, and we can display a side-by-side with the pdf showing the clean typography, table of contents, etc.)

This could be used as sort of a "Now that you are familiar with Scrivener, check out what else you can do" as well as a tool to attract people already using MMD to try out Scrivener as a writing environment.

Email me if you would like to help out!

juh

Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:42 pm Post

KB wrote:scanning in some forms and e-mailing them to eSellerate

I never heard of eSellerate. Will it require a credit card to buy Scrivener? Any other options?

juh

KB
Site Admin

Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:38 pm Post

Yes, a credit card or PayPal. There is a big discussion on this in the feedback forum. eSellerate are one of the big online shareware distribution companies used by a lot of Mac shareware - very respectable.

Other options: Hmm, well, let me think. You could post me any of the following:
- a crate of 25 Kronenbourg Blancs (bottles rather than cans)
- any of the Haruki Murakami books that have been translated into English by scholars in Japan but not published in English-speaking countries (eg. at the time of writing, Hear the Wind Sing)
- A video (compatible with UK players) of the whole of the third series of Battlestar Galactica (when it finishes on SciFi - I'll have to wait at least a year after that to see it on DVD in the UK)
- A DVD of Ballad of a Soldier, a Russian film I saw on Channel 4 years ago but of which I never managed to track down a copy
- All of the J.D. Salinger Caulfield family stories that were not collected into a book (An Ocean Full of Bowling Balls etc).
- The name of the ZX Spectrum adventure game that had a character called Slartibardfast (and no, it wasn't Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, it just had a reference to it)
- Jessica Alba
- The name of the poet who wrote Pearl, Gawain and the Green Knight, Patience and Cleanness
- The meaning of life (and no, not "42")
- the willpower to read War and Peace, anything by David Foster Wallace or Atlas Shrugged
- A portrait that will age for me
- An infinite number of monkeys with a typewriter each
- Love's Labour's Won

Hmm, so you might want to stick with eSellerate, then. :)

Best,
Keith

juh

Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:48 pm Post

KB wrote:- A DVD of Ballad of a Soldier, a Russian film I saw on Channel 4 years ago but of which I never managed to track down a copy

This should be possible.

KB wrote:- Jessica Alba

Who the hell is...

KB wrote:- The meaning of life (and no, not "42")

If you can wait for my next book … ;-)

KB wrote:Hmm, so you might want to stick with eSellerate, then. :)

I neither have a credit card nor a paypal account. But I think I will manage it anyhow.

Spitfire31

Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:36 pm Post

Browsing through my old Spectrum tapes...

Universal Hero?

Best,

Joey

Nihil sine labore

KB wrote:Other options: Hmm, well, let me think. You could post me any of the following:
- The name of the ZX Spectrum adventure game that had a character called Slartibardfast (and no, it wasn't Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, it just had a reference to it)

Hmm, so you might want to stick with eSellerate, then. :)

Best,
Keith

Ja
Jan

Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:50 pm Post

KB wrote:- A DVD of Ballad of a Soldier, a Russian film I saw on Channel 4 years ago but of which I never managed to track down a copy

Would you accept this link to Amazon.co.uk as payment for a Scrivener license? :)

Lord Lightning

Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:50 am Post

The name of the poet who wrote Pearl, Gawain and the Green Knight, Patience and Cleanness

I thought it was Marlowe, after all, he also wrote all of Shakespeare's works... and wasn't he also a contemporary of Chaucer and Geoffrey of Monmouth and Malory?

Best list anywhere. Loved it.

:D
Lord Lightning

I'm a writer. I create worlds!
When I make a declarative statement it applies to ME. Not to everyone.

St
SteveJ

Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:50 am Post

KB wrote:- The name of the poet who wrote Pearl, Gawain and the Green Knight, Patience and Cleanness

It's Hugh Massey, of course. Or else it's John Massey. Or maybe Hugh-John Massey. </totally pedantic medievalist humor>

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:29 pm Post

But of course, the Templars are responsible for all of it. Just ask Le Comte de Saint-Germain who is, naturally, still alive to this very day.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Leigh

Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:38 pm Post

KB wrote:- The name of the poet who wrote Pearl, Gawain and the Green Knight, Patience and Cleanness

I win! :D

It was A. Non.

As well as these three, he wrote quite a lot in the late 14th century. Quite a prolific family over the years, actually, but not very imaginitive in other ways; they all had first names beginning with A...
:wink:

Regards, Leigh

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:53 pm Post

I'd wager that the great researcher and author, Ibid, ranks up there in sheer quantity with the notorious A. Non.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Kh
Khadrelt

Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:13 pm Post

KB wrote:- A portrait that will age for me
- An infinite number of monkeys with a typewriter each

Heh, I'm not so sure the portait is a good idea...Dorian Gray didn't have such a great time of it.

I hate to break it to everyone, but an infinite number of monkeys with typewriters will never produce anything but an infinite amount of gibberish.

But that's just my theory...

ka
katzenjammer

Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:35 pm Post

Khadrelt wrote:I hate to break it to everyone, but an infinite number of monkeys with typewriters will never produce anything but an infinite amount of gibberish.

But that's just my theory...

I beg your pardon. This forum is NOT jibberish. :wink: