Scrivener beta 4 now available for download

aw
awpstrike
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:15 am

Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:16 pm Post

KB wrote:Ah, no, these things aren't built in - not for endnotes and footnotes. Footnotes and endnotes, like I say, are only really supported in the RTF export. The "Print" button in the Export Draft sheet can only do stuff that is built-in. Thus, footnotes are just plonked at the end of the whole draft. This is exactly the sort of situation where you need to export to a word processor and do your final formatting. The "Print" button in Export Draft is meant for either:

a) a rough copy of your draft (which will not necessarily have footnotes and endnotes in the right place).
b) a good copy of text that does not require special formatting (footnotes and endnotes would come under "special formatting"). It is good for things such as short stories and novels, but not really suitable for creating a final draft of an academic paper or screenpaly, for instance.

Obviously, this is stuff that needs covering in the documentation. I can understand why the "Print" button may seem misleading. It basically prints what you would get if you exported to RTFD, but adds a header. This is the best a non-dedicated word processor can do. AmberV, if you are reading, this would definitely be a good one for the FAQ. :)

Awpstrike - the other post I was talking about was the one I linked to. In the Tips & Tricks forum, you said that you could not get "convert italics to underline" to work. I said that this only works in the Export Draft panel, and not if you just go to File > Print. Was this the problem? Like I say, it really does help if you respond to things like that, because otherwise I panic that there is a bug I am missing.

All the best,
Keith


Thanks. I'd be nice if it worked but I understand that it is a lot to build in. In regards to the italic/bold thing, I'm not sure what I was doing wrong before but it is working now, so that issue was "user error" I would say, no worries!

Any idea when you're going to start selling a final version?

User avatar
KB
Site Admin
Posts: 19188
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:23 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Truro, Cornwall
Contact:

Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:18 pm Post

As for selling the final version - I'm working the webpage right now. Then it's just the help file and anything that comes up in the meantime. As for building the stuff into "Print" - there's just no way. It would mean building a whole word processing engine from the ground up! Let's see what comes "for free" with Leopard. I hope they have upgraded the text engine again - remember that bullets and tables were only introduced with Tiger.

User avatar
AmberV
Posts: 20608
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:30 am
Platform: Mac + Linux
Location: Santiago de Compostela, Galiza
Contact:

Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:32 pm Post

KB wrote:AmberV, if you are reading, this would definitely be a good one for the FAQ. :)


Got it!
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Go
Gonzie
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:59 pm

Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:44 pm Post

the notice board style of viewing the contents of a folder doesn't scroll well at all with a scroll wheel'd mouse, and not quite 100% with clicking and dragging the blue bar

User avatar
KB
Site Admin
Posts: 19188
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:23 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Truro, Cornwall
Contact:

Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:47 pm Post

Gonzie wrote:the notice board style of viewing the contents of a folder doesn't scroll well at all with a scroll wheel'd mouse, and not quite 100% with clicking and dragging the blue bar


Probably not the first time you scroll down, but after that it should be fine. This should only be the case if you have the pins visible or images that are being displayed as Polaroids. Basically, whenever a card becomes visible for the first time, that is when the image that is used for its pin (or Polaroid in the case of images) gets loaded up and cached. That way, only the memory that is required is used; the downside is that there is a small lag the first time you scroll down.

Go
Gonzie
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:59 pm

Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:58 pm Post

KB wrote:
Gonzie wrote:the notice board style of viewing the contents of a folder doesn't scroll well at all with a scroll wheel'd mouse, and not quite 100% with clicking and dragging the blue bar


Probably not the first time you scroll down, but after that it should be fine. This should only be the case if you have the pins visible or images that are being displayed as Polaroids. Basically, whenever a card becomes visible for the first time, that is when the image that is used for its pin (or Polaroid in the case of images) gets loaded up and cached. That way, only the memory that is required is used; the downside is that there is a small lag the first time you scroll down.


ahh i see now, ok....this is something that will get better over development i hope

creating small thumbnails of every picture sounds ideal but not sure if it would be worth it

User avatar
KB
Site Admin
Posts: 19188
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:23 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Truro, Cornwall
Contact:

Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:12 pm Post

If it is the generation of polaroid thumbnails that is causing you issues, turn it off via Preferences - this is exactly why it is a preference. Development has finished in this area, so this will not get any better pre-2.0. It will only be a big issue with slower computers, but like I say, that is why there is a preference. Just turn of "Show media files as photographs on corkboard" in the "navigation" preferences. If you are still having issues, just turn off the pins on the corkboard (View > Index Cards > Show Pins).

aw
awpstrike
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:15 am

Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:54 am Post

Sorry to keep posting but I hope it's helpful...

Anyhow, I noticed that annotations/footnotes are viewed as congruent to the actual document in terms of spell-check while editing. So lets say I write the following, with the text in brackets representing a footnoted excerpt.:

Late industrialists find themselves facing almost insurmountable odds.[Kellog, 82.]

In this case, it underlines odds.Kellog because it views it as one thing. Let me know if this doesn't make sense.

User avatar
AmberV
Posts: 20608
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:30 am
Platform: Mac + Linux
Location: Santiago de Compostela, Galiza
Contact:

Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:20 am Post

Keith will probably have a better answer, but I am pretty sure there is nothing that can be done about that. Both footnotes and annotations are essentially nothing more than a special kind of style, like bold or a font size change.

However, there is one thing you can do. Put a buffer space inside the note. This will help the spell checker, and it will make your session easier to read too. The Scrivener exporter will strip all extra spacing on the front and back of a footnote, so you can pad it as much as you like. Annotations retain their spacing, which is generally okay since whatever aesthetic spacing you use in the editor will probably be useful in a print out.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

aw
awpstrike
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:15 am

Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:04 pm Post

AmberV wrote:Keith will probably have a better answer, but I am pretty sure there is nothing that can be done about that. Both footnotes and annotations are essentially nothing more than a special kind of style, like bold or a font size change.

However, there is one thing you can do. Put a buffer space inside the note. This will help the spell checker, and it will make your session easier to read too. The Scrivener exporter will strip all extra spacing on the front and back of a footnote, so you can pad it as much as you like. Annotations retain their spacing, which is generally okay since whatever aesthetic spacing you use in the editor will probably be useful in a print out.


Thanks for the tip.

aw
awpstrike
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:15 am

Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:07 pm Post

AmberV wrote:Keith will probably have a better answer, but I am pretty sure there is nothing that can be done about that. Both footnotes and annotations are essentially nothing more than a special kind of style, like bold or a font size change.

However, there is one thing you can do. Put a buffer space inside the note. This will help the spell checker, and it will make your session easier to read too. The Scrivener exporter will strip all extra spacing on the front and back of a footnote, so you can pad it as much as you like. Annotations retain their spacing, which is generally okay since whatever aesthetic spacing you use in the editor will probably be useful in a print out.


edit: duplicate

aw
awpstrike
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:15 am

Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:04 am Post

Not sure if you already have this planned, but I think it would be nice to have several export templates built into the final version.

For example, the novel/manuscript one, one for a play, one for a screenplay, one for a report, one for an article, etc. Just a few basic format options to choose from.

User avatar
KB
Site Admin
Posts: 19188
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:23 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Truro, Cornwall
Contact:

Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:44 am Post

I won't build them in per se, but what I might do is have an "Extras" folder on the DMG with a few templates and instructions on how to install them. If anyone wants to contribute any that they feel should absolutely be included, post them in the Tips & Tricks forum, making it explict whether or not you would be happy for them to be included with the app. :)
Thanks and all the best,
Keith

 

 

cron