Scrivener beta 4 now available for download

Jot
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:57 am Post

Squeeee! I just did the updater thingy too. Brilliant.

I'm having too much fun, aren't I?
J

ki
kirkmc
Platform: Mac

Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:13 pm Post

The answer to this may be somewhere, but I haven't really looked... If I transfer a project to the current beta, will I be sure to be able to use it in the final release version?

Kirk
--
Read my blog, Kirkville: http://www.mcelhearn.com

bl
bluloo

Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:53 pm Post

kirkmc wrote:The answer to this may be somewhere, but I haven't really looked... If I transfer a project to the current beta, will I be sure to be able to use it in the final release version?

Kirk

All things being equal, yes.

:)

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:04 pm Post

Given that Scrivener can open old Scrivener Gold projects, it is highly unlikely that Keith will create a situation where the version 1.0 release cannot open projects made in the beta versions.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

KB
Site Admin

Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:01 pm Post

awpstrike wrote:My one question/request is that the cmd+y shortcut work in full-screen mode (perhaps it was meant to but just overlooked?). I think it is VERY useful but if it doesn't work in full screen mode (where I write most of the time) I'm just going to have to manually click the box as I did before. Is there a reason for it to not work in full-screen?

Oops - this was an oversight. Will fix for beta 5. As for the numbers, I just implemented this at the request of some other screenwriters - I guess you just can't make it please everyone. :)
Thanks,
Keith

KB
Site Admin

Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:02 pm Post

Kirk - 100% yes. We are very close to release. Anything you create now you will be able to open in 1.0 and beyond.
All the best,
Keith

aw
awpstrike

Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:58 pm Post

KB wrote:
awpstrike wrote:My one question/request is that the cmd+y shortcut work in full-screen mode (perhaps it was meant to but just overlooked?). I think it is VERY useful but if it doesn't work in full screen mode (where I write most of the time) I'm just going to have to manually click the box as I did before. Is there a reason for it to not work in full-screen?

Oops - this was an oversight. Will fix for beta 5. As for the numbers, I just implemented this at the request of some other screenwriters - I guess you just can't make it please everyone. :)
Thanks,
Keith

Thanks. I think you should consider for future versions implementing a feature that will allow users to customize editing "modes." It shouldn't have to be too complicated and would be a nice addition. But for now just fixing the cmd+y in full-screen would be great!

KB
Site Admin

Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:13 pm Post

Do you mean for users to define their own formats? Don't even go there. :) You don't know how complicated the code is that deals with screenplay/stageplay formatting. Honestly, it would not be trivial to do that. That would be the sort of thing I would consider for 2.0 in a year or two, not before...

aw
awpstrike

Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:17 pm Post

Whenever I'm trying to export, I can't keep text centered (it is moved to the left of the page when it is exported). Also, footnotes and end-notes act the same, when they should act differently (they all just appear at the end of the entire exported document). Also, I have a bibliography as my last page and want the endnotes to appear before that (at the end of the text-file they're included within) but that doesn't seem possible either.

aw
awpstrike

Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:33 pm Post

edit: ignore this one, duplicate

KB
Site Admin

Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:45 pm Post

Whenever I'm trying to export, I can't keep text centered (it is moved to the left of the page when it is exported).

I take it you have "Use export formatting" checked in Text Options in the Export Draft sheet. If that is checked, the formatting you have defined in the Export Draft sheet be used, which, of course, means that if you have left-justified text as your export formatting, that will override any centered text. Either uncheck the option in Export Draft, or check "Preserve Formatting" for the individual document.

Also, footnotes and end-notes act the same, when they should act differently (they all just appear at the end of the entire exported document).

I don't understand the question. Footnotes can be exported either as footnotes or as endnotes. So saying "footnotes and end-notes act the same" has no meaning in Scrivener. Scrivener only has footnotes, which you can choose to export as end-notes if you want. And this only has any meaning when exporting to RTF and you open it in a word processor that reads footnotes (Word, Mellel, Nisus). For other formats, footnotes just get plonked at the end of the document. I'm pretty sure this is covered in the tutorial and in the FAQ.

Also, I have a bibliography as my last page and want the endnotes to appear before that (at the end of the text-file they're included within) but that doesn't seem possible either.

Please remember that Scrivener is not a word processor. This is made explicit in numerous places - in the tutorial, in the readme file, on the forum, in the FAQ. Do not expect Scrivener to do extensive formatting. It can export a document with basic formatting, but if you need more advanced formatting, as you obviously do, you need to export your draft and open it in a word processor for final formatting and tweaking. This is why it is called "Export Draft" and not "Export Manuscript".

Also, could you please tell me if the answer I gave you in the following thread helped you?

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum ... .php?t=625

If you post a problem it helps if you let me know if my answer resolved the issue, so that I know there isn't a bug here. Thanks.

aw
awpstrike

Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:48 pm Post

Thanks for the quick reply. What i mean to say is that when exporting footnotes and endnotes are currently acting exactly the same, which I assume you didn't mean or you wouldn't have two options. Footnotes should appear at the bottom of each page but both are acting as endnotes and appearing at the end of the document as a whole.

KB
Site Admin

Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:56 pm Post

I cannot recreate this. You _are_ exporting to RTF, I presume, and not RTFD or any other format? Everything works fine for me when I open it up in Word - I get footnotes at the bottom of each page if that is what I have selected. Oh, and please do answer whether that other post sorted out the problem you posted.

aw
awpstrike

Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:36 pm Post

KB wrote:I cannot recreate this. You _are_ exporting to RTF, I presume, and not RTFD or any other format? Everything works fine for me when I open it up in Word - I get footnotes at the bottom of each page if that is what I have selected. Oh, and please do answer whether that other post sorted out the problem you posted.

Yes, I can now get things centered, etc. by ignoring the "export" format options.

However, the problem with footnotes/endnotes still exists. But it only exists when printing directly from the export pane, not when exporting to .rtf and opening in Word, etc.

To recreate, create a document with footnotes. Go to export draft, and then print it from there with footnotes selected instead of endnotes. They will still show up as endnotes.

Also, I have three files in my draft folder: one is a title page, the second is my actual report, and the third is a list of sources. Of course, "endnotes" for the actual report should appear at the end of the actual report, but they are instead appearing at the end of the bibliography which looks silly. Can't find a way to fix it.

I understand it's meant to just be simple formatting/export options, but I am only trying to do things that appear to be built in already, just not working as they should.

Thanks again for the update though, Scrivener is EVEN BETTER and these export modes are great.

KB
Site Admin

Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:07 pm Post

Ah, no, these things aren't built in - not for endnotes and footnotes. Footnotes and endnotes, like I say, are only really supported in the RTF export. The "Print" button in the Export Draft sheet can only do stuff that is built-in. Thus, footnotes are just plonked at the end of the whole draft. This is exactly the sort of situation where you need to export to a word processor and do your final formatting. The "Print" button in Export Draft is meant for either:

a) a rough copy of your draft (which will not necessarily have footnotes and endnotes in the right place).
b) a good copy of text that does not require special formatting (footnotes and endnotes would come under "special formatting"). It is good for things such as short stories and novels, but not really suitable for creating a final draft of an academic paper or screenpaly, for instance.

Obviously, this is stuff that needs covering in the documentation. I can understand why the "Print" button may seem misleading. It basically prints what you would get if you exported to RTFD, but adds a header. This is the best a non-dedicated word processor can do. AmberV, if you are reading, this would definitely be a good one for the FAQ. :)

Awpstrike - the other post I was talking about was the one I linked to. In the Tips & Tricks forum, you said that you could not get "convert italics to underline" to work. I said that this only works in the Export Draft panel, and not if you just go to File > Print. Was this the problem? Like I say, it really does help if you respond to things like that, because otherwise I panic that there is a bug I am missing.

All the best,
Keith