Scrivener 1.0 RC b1 here at last...

alexwein
Platform: Mac

Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:05 pm Post

KB wrote:The trouble I have with it is that it actually draws the eye to it, which is exactly what it's not supposed to do. In a set up where the binder is white and the main document view is white, if the notes are a light grey, you suddenly have an area that is obviously different... Hmm. Maybe I should make it a Preference after all...

I'd prefer a plain white background myself. I guess to me this seems more 'clean' as well. To me, the notes pane is just another text field to be used, and the split view is all white, so it presents me with a nice, clean, uncomplicated interface. Not a huge deal, but if it can be done and is not a big hassle for you, I'd prefer it to be a preference so I can keep it the way it is. If not, I'll certainly live with it! :)

KB
Site Admin

Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:20 pm Post

Right. Notes AND text background colours can now be set through Preferences. That should (hopefully) please everybody. Though I doubt it. :)

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:52 pm Post

Why can I not set the background colour of the synopsis card! }:)
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

KB
Site Admin

Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:57 pm Post

You know that I am starting to have dreams in which people harangue me about providing a Preferences option for their wallpaper colour? "Why should I be locked in?" they bellow. "And while we're at it, shouldn't there be a checkbox for this ana glypa pattern?" Oh dear.

Ex
ExecutiveEditor

Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:08 pm Post

I'll rise to the occasion: How about a preference (as TextEdit has) to set "Check spelling as you type" for new projects?  I'm usually a little ways in when I type something and realize that I mistyped it, and then I notice that it hasn't been underlined, and then I remember to go to the Edit menu and check "Check spelling as you type."  I'd much rather set this as the default for all new projects.

bl
bluloo

Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:41 pm Post

ExecutiveEditor wrote:I'll rise to the occasion: How about a preference (as TextEdit has) to set "Check spelling as you type" for new projects? 

I second this suggestion.

:)

KB
Site Admin

Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:55 pm Post

Well, I've added it to the list, although it is very trivial given that you can just set this when starting a new project and you don't have to do it again for that project. The Preferences are growing to rather ridiculous proportions. :)

General note: Please note that beta 2 is likely to be another couple of weeks or maybe more. The list of things I need to do for it has grown and grown and my six-week holidays are now up and I'm back to work on Monday. :( Thus, development will be a little slower from now on. It won't be released until the corkboard updates are finished, but I'm getting some of the more trivial stuff out of the way before starting on that.

Thanks!
Keith

P.S. If anyone can save me time by isolating the corkboard drag-lines bug I mentioned in the other sticky in this forum (where the drop-bar lines can take up the whole height of the corkboard on rare occasions), I would be very grateful. It seems to happen when you have a blank corkboard and drag cards into it - but only randomly.

Ma
Maria

Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:30 am Post

del
Last edited by Maria on Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

KB
Site Admin

Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:05 am Post

I do indeed love both. :) Although I would like to get on with using Scrivener at some point, I also love a programming challenge and end up getting side-tracked. I guess it lets me put off my writing. :)

As for an interim beta... I'm afraid there won't be one, and we'll just have to wait for beta 2. Sorry. The reason for this is that I want to get the alterations to the corkboard/outliner behaviour done before releasing another beta. If I don't, then the current behaviour becomes more established. On top of that, my current working version needs beating into shape a little before it's ready for another beta. :) Hopefully after beta 2, which is a lot of work, the betas should be a bit more frequent.

Thanks for holding out and putting up with the quirks in the meantime,
Keith

alexwein

Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:13 pm Post

Keith, thanks for letting us know about the timing. I quite understand. However I have a question. I know you've said, wisely, to not do too much new stuff with beta 1. But it's been very difficult not to! And with two more or so weeks, I'm not sure I can wait to really get some things going.

So my question is, can I go ahead and use Scr. the way it is, which works quite well for me for the most part, 'quirks' and all, or should I continue to wait. Using SGold isn't an option for me, since much of what I'm doing at this stage involves large media files, so I use the reference feature to create aliases instead of porting the whole thing into the program. For instance, one media file alone is almost 1 GB in size. I surely don't want to import that into Scr.!

What advice can you give at this point? Will I be able to import my beta 1 files into the subsequent versions?

On another note, I feel bad that I haven't been able to help test more. Right now I'm finishng the final chapter of my dissertation, written in Mellel, so I've only been able to dabble a bit in Scr. and some new projects I'm developing. I hope to have this chapter out to my readers within the week and then I'll be jumping into these other projects which are all in Scr.!

Thanks again for keeping us posted on how things progress! Beta 2 sounds delicious!

Alexandria

la
lana

Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:28 pm Post

I just downloaded the beta and went through the tutorial. I am in awe. I swear that I was actually repeating the word 'cool' each time I saw a new feature.

Thanks for creating the software. Now I'm off to play with it. :-)

KB
Site Admin

Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:37 pm Post

Thanks for your kind words, lana, much appreciated! Please let me know if find any bugs or come across anything you find strange - I have made quite a few fixes for beta 2 that will be out in a couple of weeks.

Thanks again,
Keith

el
elzbeth

Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:20 pm Post

I've been looking for a Mac equivalent to RoughDraft for a while. It looks like Scrivener (or at least parts of it) might be it.

When does the timer expire on the current beta version, and when will the new beta version be available?
~Elz

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:27 pm Post

Ooo! RoughDraft. I used to use that. :)

The current beta expires on the 17th of January, 2007. There is no estimate on when beta 3 will be out, but even if it takes beyond that time, Keith is good about getting the clock reset on the current beta. I've never had any downtime with the project in the year I've been beta testing.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

KB
Site Admin

Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:59 pm Post

As AmberV says, don't worry about time limits - there will always be an active beta right up until release. As for beta 3, I'm to get that out within the next fortnight (_hoping_).

RoughDraft - that is an excellent program on the PC, without doubt. It is on the links page as the best PC equivalent to Scrivener, I believe. Well, I hope you come to like Scrivener as much!

Thanks,
Keith