Scrivener 1.0 RC b1 here at last...

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:16 am Post

After several months of development, the new Scrivener beta is now ready for download. This beta is dubbed "1.0 RC b1" for "1.0 release candidate beta 1". In other words, I see this as a feature-complete version of Scrivener 1.0. Whilst users are welcome to post feature suggestions, I will be steadfastly ignoring them until after the official release of 1.0. :) Until then, I would be very grateful if beta-testers could focus on bug-reporting. Crashes, bugs or quirks - let me know. I am _very_ happy with this beta and now just want to squash any bugs that arise and concentrate on making Scrivener as stable as possible.

Please note that this version of Scrivener is somewhat different from Scrivener Gold. It retains most features apart from the project targets and ability to open documents in multiple windows. I made a design decision to exclude these features and they won't be coming back any time soon. It also contains a number of new features, including greatly enhanced outlining and storyboarding, "Edit Scrivenings" (very cool in my own humble opinion), internal links and an enhanced full screen mode.

Because of the differences, I recommend that even seasoned Scrivener Gold users go through the new tutorial, which has been completely rewritten.

As was the case with previous betas, the beta is time-limited (this one until the end of October). There will always be a new beta released before the expiry date up until the official release date, when you will be expected to pay for a copy if you want to continue using it. :shock:

Anyway, without further ado - the beta is now public:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/dlbet ... erRCb1.dmg

[UPDATE: Please wait for beta 2 before importing your own Scrivener Gold projects. There is a minor bug in the way Scrivener imports the labels and status list from Scrivener Gold projects which renders them uneditable - which means you would have to delete and recreate them all if you wanted to change them. This is fixed for beta 2.]

EDIT: I recommend that you do not import anything too precious into Scrivener for a couple of weeks, until the most glaring bugs have been ironed out and we have a more stable beta. It is inevitable that there will be a few clangers in the first beta...
Last edited by KB on Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.

ja
janra

Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:16 am Post

oooooh, nice

I just ran through the tutorial and my other half kept looking at me funny as I said "sweet!" and "this is fantastic!" out of the blue :-)

Now to find time to actually write...

Lord Lightning

Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:33 am Post

OOhh! Aahh!

Hey KB, you have surpassed yourself.

That's ruined the rest of my day. How can I go and do the shopping now?

I just have to play. Catch you later.

Really like Edit Scrivenings.
Lord Lightning

I'm a writer. I create worlds!
When I make a declarative statement it applies to ME. Not to everyone.

ku
kukkurovaca

Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:56 am Post

This is beautiful, both in terms of functionality and in terms of aesthetics -- the updated corkboard, outliner, and full screen in particular, along with the edit scrivenings (a la Jer's Novel Writer, but with less bugginess)...not to mention the fact that the handling of metadata and multimedia/pdf files make it tempting to use scrivener in ways totally unrelated to its original goal (like as a Kip replacement).

BTW, I'm trying to remember whether there was an anticipated price point for Scrivener once it finally goes on the block. I'm more than willing to pay for it (it's absolutely worth it), but depending on sticker shock, I might or might not need to brace myself.
“You can reconstruct the picture from chaos and memory’s ruins.â€

KB
Site Admin

Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:25 am Post

I always said the price point would be somewhere between $25 and $40; I'm thinking $30-$35, though it will depend on how it all works out once I have figured in tax and the Esellerate cut (which is very reasonable).

Thanks for the kind words,
Keith

bobm

Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:06 pm Post

I have been curious as to how you could transform an already great, useful app into something even better but you have clearly done it!. I have used SG daily for the past 9 mo or so for writing book chapters and scientific papers (I am a biologist) and it has worked flawlessly. Certainly the best writing tool I have ever used. The new version is fabulous.

You mentioned pricing. Something in me (worthy of analysis itself!) finds pricing at $30 very attractive for applications. Scrivener is certainly worth much more than that to me but, as I am sure you are aware, there is a tradeoff between volume of sales and price point. I think you'll sell more than enough at $30 to make up the lost revenue of charging $40 or even$50. My 2 cents worth anyway.

ti
timlockridge

Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:48 pm Post

I'm really excited about using this... the fullscreen mode looks great!

ku
kukkurovaca

Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:24 pm Post

KB wrote:I always said the price point would be somewhere between $25 and $40; I'm thinking $30-$35, though it will depend on how it all works out once I have figured in tax and the Esellerate cut (which is very reasonable).

Thanks for the kind words,
Keith

That's certainly a painless price point for me!
“You can reconstruct the picture from chaos and memory’s ruins.â€

alexwein

Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:43 pm Post

Haha. I got quickly to the business of trying Scr. out and missed posting my first impressions. My reaction was exactly as described by those posting here! I laughed when I read these, since they mirrorred my feelings so well. Maybe you don't realize, but I, and I suspect many others, have been waiting a LONG time to find something like this, Keith! Maybe you do. In any case, there were many smiles of delight, ooohs and aaahs emanating from my late yesterday, and I sat through my morning meditation and yoga class thinking about Scrivener and getting home to play with it. Not very yogic of me, but hey, consciousness is one thing, having a juicy new program to play with is quite another!

Re price, just make sure it's $29.99 or $34.95 or something like that. Always looks better that way. I agree Scr. is worth much more, but that you may make more on it by charging less. There's just so much competition out there and many of them small developers like you who aren't charging much. I guess it's really more about your target market and what prices are already like within it—finding the right niche within it. And word of mouth should help you there too as more people start to use it. Despite the plethora of programs out there, Scr. is really quite a unique blend and has some functionality others don't.

You've got me totally hooked, so I'll pay whatever you ask! :)

Alexandria

KB
Site Admin

Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:13 pm Post

Thanks for all the kind words - it's great to read such positive feedback whilst ploughing through the initial bugs and glitches.

As for the price - please, don't worry about it. This is the placeholder product page that will be edited to hold the real text and screenshots of Scrivener when it is ready for release and then replace the current Scrivener product page:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivenerMockup.html

This has been online since the site went up, but obviously hidden as it's only a placeholder. As you can see, the price is currently very likely to be $34.99. It won't be any higher than that. It _may_ come down to $29.99, but it depends. Remember that in the UK that is about the price of just four beers!

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:41 pm Post

But damn good beers compared to the domestic yellow water we get served, here. :)

Oh, and yes -- around $30 is best for sure. Somebody put it eloquently, anything under $35 can sneak beneath the Spousal Radar. Anything near and over $40: Questions and accusations begin!
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

KB
Site Admin

Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:44 pm Post

Oh, don't ge me wrong, I'm not complaining: each copy of Scrivener will pay from my after-work drinks on a Friday evening - that has been the plan all along. :)

Ja
Jan

Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:25 pm Post

Damn you, Keith! I wanted to get some serious work done tonight, and you completely ruined my plans. Now I'm going to play with the beta for the rest of the evening and despise myself for my lack of self-discipline :) But I'm sure that the productivity boost I'll get from using your app will make up for the lost time. This looks great so far. Much cleaner and more mature than the first private / public betas. Many nice interface details, and the new features (footnotes!) are much more useful than the features you dropped. Great work, great program. Should sell well enough to pay for the most expensive Friday night drinks on the list.

The only shortcoming I can find at first glance is that "scrivenings" is untranslatable. I thought about volunteering for a German localization, but now I'm having second thoughts :)

PS: You're a very good tutorial writer. Quite unusual for a developer and fiction writer. Did you work as a teacher or schoolbook writer earlier in your life?

KB
Site Admin

Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:30 pm Post

Earlier in my life? I am actually a primary school teacher by day!

Ga
Gaijin de Moscu

Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:19 pm Post

Keith, I've been playing with the beta for a while, and I'm astonished. This is head and shoulders above many other programs I've used.

Instead of babbling about, I'll just go back and write; meanwhile, just wanted to tell you that the full screen is a delight to use, as is pretty much any other feature.

The aesthetics are superb. The only reason I was using your competition before was the typewriter scrolling. Now I'm fully back.

EDIT: is it possible to make the scroll bar appear and disappear on mouse focus, rather then always be (or not be) there? Not at all urgent, maybe for some time in the future.
Last edited by Gaijin de Moscu on Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.