UPDATED: Scrivener 1.5 beta 6 now available

mu
mugwump

Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:51 pm Post

Hello,
I searched the entire board and checked the known bugs forum and was unable to find a note about one issue with the new Final Draft export option.

Is it already a known issue that certain punctuation shows those odd numeric symbols after using the new Final Draft compiler?

After compiling a draft, selecting the Final Draft export option, opening it up into Final Draft has these oddities: "That's it, you're out" is now "That’s it. You’re out" for apostrophes, “Three Day Tours,” for quotation marks, and others like this.

This may be an error on my end since at some point I had a font issue, but I thought I would post it here. Thanks for your continued excellent coding abilities!

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:57 pm Post

Be sure to choose to straighten smart quotes, turn ellipses into three periods and so forth in the Text Options of Compile Draft - the smart versions of those characters aren't supported in the format.
All the best,
Keith

Sean Coffee

Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:03 pm Post

Just wanting to see if I'm understanding OPML import as well as I should:

The intention of this feature is to import your outline into the binder as separate documents, correct? Meaning there is no way to import an outline so that the parents are imported as documents, and the children as synopsis text.

To be clear, if my outline looked like this:

1. IN THE BARN
1.1. The cows gather in a group to discuss their plans for world domination.

I could not get a card that looked like this:

[attachment=0]Picture 1.png[/attachment]

That's not how OPML import is meant to work, correct?*

*By the way, the way it's working now is still very cool. I'm only asking in case I'm missing a way to do this. And so far, Keith, 1.5 is amazing! Thank you!
Attachments
Picture 1.png
Picture 1.png (10.44 KiB) Viewed 1725 times

KB
Site Admin

Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:37 pm Post

Hi, no, you're right, there's no way of doing that from the structure you describe. To import like that, your OPML would have to look like this:

<opml text="IN THE BARN" _note=" The cows gather in a group to discuss their plans for world domination. ?"/>

The "_note" attribute is used by both OmniOutliner and SupernoteCard for text areas.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

jg
jgreiss

Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:52 am Post

Hi Keith,

I noticed this in 1.11, and came here and it is still in this beta.

1. Drag PDF into project notes.
2. Enter Fullscreen.
3. Open Inspector, and select Project Notes.
4. Resize the Inspector and make it bigger

The result is the PDF does not actually resize. However, if you then exit Full Screen and then go back in, the PDF is properly resized.

Not sure if this is something that can be fixed or not.

JG

KB
Site Admin

Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:02 am Post

Thank JG. Actually the way 1.x scales attachments (images, PDF files etc) isn't perfect and works best only for image files. After going to all the effort of implementing scaling code, I found that the OS X text view can actually do this automatically with one line of code, though. For the 2.0 branch I've gone through and changed the way scaling works so you shouldn't see this sort of behaviour. I'm afraid 1.x will be left with the current scaling behaviour, though. But I will test your report on my 2.0 builds to check whether this behaviour persists regardless.
Thanks again and all the best,
Keith

jg
jgreiss

Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:34 pm Post

Thank *you* Keith! Looking forward to 2.0.

dj
djhan

Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:31 am Post

hello, I'm DJ.HAN. please forgive my poor english.

Toaday, I tested 1.5b6. But there was still a bug with last working postion. It can't move last working position correctly when you working in split window mode(2-pane view mode). Please see attached screenshot file.

you can reproduce this symptom ;
1) working in split window
2) save and quitting
[attachment=0]Picture-1.jpg[/attachment]
3) relaunch scrivener
4) scrivener can't move to last working position. It move to wrong position of working documents(hundreds line under of working position). But cursor(insertion point) was place in last working position.
[attachment=1]Picture-2.jpg[/attachment]

I tested in macos 10.5.6(korean). please(please) check and resolve this problem.
Thanks, good luck!
Attachments
Picture-1.jpg
2) save and quitting : please see last working postion
Picture-1.jpg (141.37 KiB) Viewed 1334 times
Picture-2.jpg
4) after relaunch scrivener.... please notice it can't move to last working position!
Picture-2.jpg (117.5 KiB) Viewed 1337 times

KB
Site Admin

Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:52 am Post

Hi,

I still can't reproduce this. The only time I can see this is happening is when the same document is open in both panes (which doesn't seem to be the case in your screenshots). Each document can only have one saved cursor position, so if the same document is open in both panes it will re-open at the same position in each pane even if the panes had different cursor positions when closed. But for separate documents it should work. Is the cursor at the wrong position, or is it just scrolled to the wrong position? Sorry, but I can't fix it until I can see the problem myself, and for me it's working fine at the moment. Try it out on some different projects and documents and see if it always happens or if there is something more specific I need to do to get it happening for myself.

Thanks!
Keith

dj
djhan

Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:53 pm Post

Hello, I'm DJ.HAN.

Cursor was located in right position, but scrolled to wrong position. This symptom was revealed while document is too long.

So, I uploaded sample scrivener document -> http://www.kbdmania.net/images/test.scriv.zip
In this document, cursor was placed in highlighted text.
Please open this document, then you can see scrivener scrolled to wrong position(hundreds line under of right position).
please check test document. thanks, good luck!

KB
Site Admin

Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:28 pm Post

Hi DJ.Han, okay, I see the problem now, thanks. The problem is that the file is so long that it is still loading after Scrivener has tried to scroll to the right place, so it ends up in the wrong place because not all the text is loaded. I'm afraid this is a bit of a bigger job than I can get in for 1.5 now. I'm rejigging the way cursor locations etc are remembered for 2.0, so I'll take a good look at it when I get to updating it for 2.0 and see what I can do.
Thanks and all the best,
Keith

lo
loft

Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:39 am Post

I was using the 1.2 beta for a while. Seemed very stable. Do users of the 1.5b6 beta find it just as stable? Was thinking of going to that.

Also, I know 2.0 will not be released before summer, but was a target release date announced for 1.5?

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:05 pm Post

I don't believe there was a specific target mentioned, but some time in first quarter 2009 was thrown about as conjecture. As for stability, 1.5b should be hypothetically more stable than 1.2b, as it is a progression off of it.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

st
stuartg

Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:32 pm Post

Hi Keith - may have found a bug in 1.5.6b.

Forgive me if you know of this, have searched posts but couldn't see mention of this.

1) When compiling draft as chapters, one chapter folder stubbornly refuses to act as a chapter folder. On export it shows up as a break (hash symbol) not new chapter formatting. (As with the other chapters I have deleted chapter subtitle.)
I have deleted the chapter folder, created a new one (by duplicating another, working, chapter folder, and replaced the text files it contains and it is still not functioning as new chapter.

Thanks,
Stuart

KB
Site Admin

Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:12 pm Post

Could you zip up the problematic project and send it to support AT literatureandlatte DOT com along with a description of how to see the bug, what you expect to happen and what actually happens?
Thanks,
Keith