UPDATED: Scrivener 1.5 beta 6 now available

Ti
Timothy.Donaldson

Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:54 pm Post

Now I can't open the preferences via menu or shortcut.

I'm now copying the Scrivener documents into WriteRoom and just using the binder as a storage device — I need to get some writing done!

all the best: tim

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:58 pm Post

Try quitting and re-launching Scrivener. All of the problems you are having would suggest that there has been a memory management problem. Once something like that has happened, you will see all sorts of erratic behaviour, but quitting the program and relaunching should clear it. Could you take a look on the console and see if any errors got reported?

Thanks for the info about the start panel, too. I need to do some further testing on Tiger.

All the best,
Keith

Ti
Timothy.Donaldson

Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:11 pm Post

I have tried quitting/relaunching but it doesn't seem to work, I'll try again though, thanks.

btw. I'm mainly working in Leopard on a MBP.

: t

Ti
Timothy.Donaldson

Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:20 pm Post

Another interesting, though vague, observation:

Once Scrivener's starting to go a bit wobbly, and I go to another Application, I can't get it back on the screen (I use Spirited Away to auto-hide). I try clicking its icon in the dock, or in DragThing, or using the application switcher but it won't return, the only solution is to quit using DragThing (ForceQuit isn't necessary).

Ti
Timothy.Donaldson

Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:35 pm Post

Keith:

I tried quitting/relaunching and quitting/restarting/relaunching to no avail.

After a restart,
1. I launched
2. I went fullscreen
3. I exited fullscreen
4. I tried fullscreen again
5. Screen went black (this time I didn't press escape, just waited)
6. Scrivener quit

I'm attaching the bug report.

: t
Attachments
td-bugreport2(fullscreen).txt
(27.25 KiB) Downloaded 12 times

KB
Site Admin

Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:43 pm Post

I've just uploaded Beta 6, which can be downloaded from the first post in this thread.

Beta 6 fixes the following:

• Arbitrary highlight issues have hopefully been resolved at last.
• The layouts toolbar icon is now back in the Customize Toolbar sheet.
• Fixed a long-standing bug whereby entering characters from the transliteration pop-up (or whatever it is called) in Edit Scrivenings mode could cause extra return characters to get inserted.

Timothy - the bugs you were experiencing were unique to the intermediate build I sent you to test out the highlighting fix, and were related to that "fix". Thanks for reporting these issues - I have now fixed the fix... I hope.

All the best,
Keith

Mi
MicMac

Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:45 am Post

[quote="MicMac"]Hi

It seams to me that the toolbar state of saved Layouts is not rememberd.

That is applying a Layout with a specific Toolbar state does not change the combination of icons in the toolbar.

Mic[/quote]

Seams to me that the Toolbar Layout saved state is still not saved.

Mic
Attachments
Layouts.png
Layouts.png (31 KiB) Viewed 1153 times

KB
Site Admin

Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:34 am Post

MicMac - no, it doesn't. It's not intended to. The "toolbar state" refers to whether the toolbar is visible or not. I may make that clearer in a future release (2.0). There is no way of having different toolbar sets saved, to my knowledge, as all of that is handled by OS X.
Best,
Keith

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:03 pm Post

The closest I've seen to that is OmniOutliner's document specific toolbar setting. They might have entirely rolled their own toolbar code to do that, though.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Su
Sunny

Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:57 am Post

Hi Keith,

I've just run into a couple of problems in the latest Beta.

First time I've had trouble with any version of Scrivener (including Betas) in two years or so - i guess it shows how solid Scrivener truly is.

I dragged the title of one binder item to make a link in another. the little plus symbol showed up as per usual, but then the actual dragged image froze on the screen, and did not drop. Everything else acted as usual, but when i dragged the actual Scrivener window out of the way, the floating title still floated above the desktop.

I tried to quit, but Scrivener would not do so, although it hadn't technically frozen - apart from that floating title.

In the end I did a force quit.

When I reopened it, the duplicate function no longer worked correctly - i would press apple-D in the binder, it would appear to duplicate - even down to the little micro writing in the paper icon thingo - but when i opened the duplicated item, there was no content, and the micro-writing suddenly disappeared.

I have attached a console report.

I replicated it (?successfully?) in a new project, because I was concerned the size of my project might have caused it (4,000 odd binder items).

Let me know if you need anything more,

Lewis

Oh- I'm using beta 6, on 10.5.5, G4 iBook

Edit:

I've just found that if I save immediately before trying to duplicate, it duplicates as normal. Hopefully that may narrow iit down it for you.
Attachments
scrivener log.txt
(83.19 KiB) Downloaded 11 times

KB
Site Admin

Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:04 am Post

Hi Sunny,

Thanks for the report. The console log looks painful, and I want to fix that. Unfortunately I cannot reproduce it. Could you again reproduce it in a new project and write down the exact steps to reproduce? I tried dragging an item out of the binder and into the text to make a Scrivener link, but it worked fine.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

st
stuartg

Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:52 am Post

Hi Keith,
Thanks again for such great software.
I thought I remember reading somewhere in forums that you had tweaked the UK novel format so as to not indent first para on each new chapter? I thought this might be in the beta but it appears to still indent? Am I doing something wrong, or has this not yet been tweaked?
Many thanks,
Stuart

Su
Sunny

Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:58 am Post

Hi Keith,

I haven't managed to replicate the image hang, but the duplicate problem occurs in a new project - though intermitantly.

I opened a new project, dragged my hand across the keyboard to input something, then clicked on the binder item to bring it into focus.
After that I pressed apple-D to Duplicate, all seemed to work as expected, but when I then clicked on the original binder item the mini writing and all content vanished from the duplicate item.

I tried to repeat the duplication, but this time it worked.

Strangely enough, the console this time showed nothing at all.

I've attached a test project, which still seems to act up whenever I reopen it, though sometimes all is fine. I wonder if there is a conflict somehow on my machine, as opposed to a problem with the beta itself.

Lewis
Attachments
Test [03_02_2009_21_56].zip
(25.74 KiB) Downloaded 14 times

KB
Site Admin

Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:04 pm Post

Sunny - I cannot reproduce the bug even in your project. However, looking at your console report, it seems to me that you are not using the 1.5 beta at all, but 1.11. I can tell this because you are getting lots of console reports about paragraph styles, which was debugging code accidentally left in 1.11 - and definitely removed in these betas. So, in Scrivener, go to Scrivener > About and double-check that you are actually using the 1.5 beta 6 version.

Stuart - no, no templates have been changed. That's coming with 2.0 with the overhauled Compile Draft and templates manager. You can of course change them in the template yourself, though, by creating a project based on the template, making the desired adjustments, and then saving it as a template again.

All the best,
Keith

st
stuartg

Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:04 pm Post

Thanks Keith,
Will play with templates and look forward to upgrading to 2.0...