UPDATED: Scrivener 1.5 beta 6 now available

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:16 pm Post

Timothy - could you please write down the step-by-step instructions I need to take to reproduce any of these problems, as I'm a little unclear now as to what they are or how to see them.
Thanks,
Keith

Ti
Timothy.Donaldson

Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:55 pm Post

I choose an arbitrary highlight colour of a blue, it works. Soon afterwards it seems to lose this setting and highlights things in a dark grey.

If I do a find/replace operation, it highlights the words that were selected by the find/replace in the dark grey.

I attach two images to illustrate this and the previously mentioned 'focus' issue.
Attachments
ScrivenerScreenSnapz002.jpg
ScrivenerScreenSnapz002.jpg (89.44 KiB) Viewed 1252 times
ScrivenerScreenSnapz003.jpg
ScrivenerScreenSnapz003.jpg (74.29 KiB) Viewed 1254 times

KB
Site Admin

Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:04 pm Post

First, the with/without focus thing - that's just standard across OS X. You can set the text selection colour (blue by default, I see you have set it to green), but there is no way to set the "unfocussed" colour - it is always grey. So that's normal and there's nothing I can do there.

I still cannot reproduce the find/replace thing, though. When I say could you give step-by-step instructions, what I mean is, would it be possible to break down exactly what you need to do to reproduce this into simple instructions so that I can follow them and see it for myself. E.g: 1. Select word. 2. Go to Text > Highlight > Arbitrary... 3. Set colour. 4. Go to Find & Replace... Etc. I can't tell how you got from one thing to the other from a picture - find and replace works fine for me in that situation.

Best,
Keith

Ti
Timothy.Donaldson

Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:14 am Post

Ok, here's what just happened: 1. Select word. 2. Go to Text > Highlight > Arbitrary... 3. Set colour (dirty blue). 4. Select second word. 5. click highlight icon (still blue) 6. Go to another document within Scrivener. 7. Select text (it's dark grey) 8. go back to original document. 9. Select text (it turns grey without clicking the highlight icon, another double click on the word removes the dark grey highlight)

When I do find/replace it dark grey highlights the last selected/highlighted word when I click back onto the document.

rgds. t

KB
Site Admin

Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:43 am Post

I still can't reproduce this, even following your instructions. Could you put together a small sample project that shows the problem, e-mail it up and send it to me at support AT literatureandlatte DOT com, please? All you need to do is create a new project, drag the two documents that you used to reproduce the problem into the binder of the new project, test you can see the problem in the new project, then send me the project with instructions.
Thanks!
Keith

Pl
Plette

Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:17 pm Post

I am seeing some very strange behaviour since updating to beta 5. When I get the launch window on opening Scrivener, there is no icon:

[attachment=1]Picture1.jpg[/attachment]

and once I actually get into the program, there is all kinds of other oddness with missing icons on the toolbar:

[attachment=0]Picture2.jpg[/attachment]

I am going to try reinstalling 1.5 beta 5, but even if that fixes it I thought you might want to know why this is happening, even if I can't explain why.

EDITED TO ADD: I can't get the forum's automatic inline images feature to work, sorry. Not sure why. Just isn't my day, I suppose.
Attachments
Picture2.jpg
Picture2.jpg (105.94 KiB) Viewed 1035 times
Picture1.jpg
Picture1.jpg (115.18 KiB) Viewed 1037 times

KB
Site Admin

Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:27 pm Post

That's almost certainly a bad installation - it looks as though none of the image files are loading. Try re-installing and if you get the same problems please post the console report.
Thanks,
Keith

Pl
Plette

Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:22 pm Post

A reinstall fixed it. Actually once I thought about it, I remembered that the Finder hung and had to be relaunched during the install upgrade from beta 4 to beta 5, so something must have been lost in the shuffle.

Sorry for the trouble.

dj
djhan

Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:40 am Post

Hello, I'm DJ.HAN

"...the editor panes jump back to the position the cursor was last in, not necessarily to where the text was actually scrolled; that's how it has always been...."

Yes, I know that. But scrivener 1.5b5 was jump back to the position lower than the cursor was last in(but cursor was placed in last position) while 2-pane view.
you can reproduce this symptom very simply. Thanks, good luck.

KB
Site Admin

Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:15 am Post

you can reproduce this symptom very simply

My point was that I can't. :) Please provide more detailed instructions on how to reproduce it.

Ti
Timothy.Donaldson

Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:26 am Post

"Could you put together a small sample project that shows the problem"

I sent it, did you get it ok?

KB
Site Admin

Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:39 am Post

Yes, sorry for the delay - although I did reply earlier this morning. I still wasn't able to reproduce it with the sample project, so I asked, would you mind sending me the *exact* steps on how to reproduce using the sample steps as though you were talking to an idiot? Start from opening the project and then go through *every* step, no matter how small, I need to take to see the problem for myself. Things that might seem obvious to you may be things that I miss out and therefore cannot reproduce the bug.
Thanks!
Keith

Ti
Timothy.Donaldson

Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:25 am Post

Thanks for fixing the highlighting, no problems so far.

A new problem: 1. I open Scrivener 2. I close the open project (the last one I was working on). 3. I click the 'open existing project' button on the splash screen. 4. Scrivener crashes.

I'm attaching the automatic bug report that one is encouraged to send to Apple (do they actually read them all?)

all the best: tim
Attachments
td-bugreport.txt
(26.19 KiB) Downloaded 11 times

Ti
Timothy.Donaldson

Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:09 pm Post

Full Screen mode has suddenly stopped working. (It's been working fine in this version, and all betas until now).

1. I click for full screen.
2. Screen goes black
3. I press escape for 10-15 seconds.
4. I am returned to the main window.

Ti
Timothy.Donaldson

Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:22 pm Post

If I quit/relaunch, I can go fullscreen again, but when I tried it a second time the screen went black for about two seconds then I was returned to the main window but with a black menubar. I pressed escape and the screen went off into 10-15 seconds of blackness once more. escape clicking eventually rescues it.