UPDATED: Scrivener 1.5 beta 6 now available

he
henrietta
Platform: Mac

Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:15 pm Post

Thanks, Keith. Since the Help menu delay happens only with big projects, my concern--that someone new to Scrivener would be unable to view Help--disappears nicely. Not worth fiddling with, I imagine? :-D

KB
Site Admin

Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:11 pm Post

Beta 4 now available - fixes some bugs with arbitrary highlighting.

Henrietta - I think it is worth bothering with, as I think it is annoying behaviour; unfortunately it seems there's no easy way of fixing it. Annoying. I've filed an enhancement request with Apple, asking them for some way of optimising the menu (I doubt anything will ever be done, but it's always worth asking...)

All the best,
Keith

pe
peerb

Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:55 pm Post

Regarding the display error MicMac reported I can confirm that it also occurs in OS 10.5.6. But since it only occurs when Smart Scroll (a system preference) is on, I don't think it has anything to do with Scrivener.
On the other hand, who am I to guess about this?
So this note is perhaps not about a Scrivener bug.
So this note perhaps doesn't belong here :-)

Regards,
Peer

Ti
Timothy.Donaldson

Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:21 pm Post

I'm still having highlighting problems. It seems whatever colour I set in the 'arbitrary' highlighting is not sticking, it works once and then reverts to a dark grey, almost black colour.

Do
DogDutyAscetic

Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:46 am Post

Hi,
I'm not sure if this has been reported, but in Beta 2 using 10.5.6 I'm getting the following things perhaps worth reporting:

1) typing lag in the scratch pad
2) highlighting that goes all the way to the right side of the window when I set the margin defaults narrower than the window and highlighting includes words that are both the last word closest to the margin and the next word on the next line.

fl
flores

Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:16 am Post

Hi,

I am not sure, if the folloging behaviour is a bug or not. I am using the 1.5 beta 4 version of Scrivener.

Ok, I have arranged my documents the following way.
1) I have a file group (document containing other documents) for each chapter
2) Each chapter (file group) may contain one or several documents, but at least one
3) The notes area of the leaf documents and of the document stack (file group) are filled with comments.
4) In the "Compile Draft" dialog-pane I have selected to print text and notes of documents and file groups

The notes of the documents are contained in the compiled pdf, but the notes of the file group are not.

Am I missing something or is this behaviour a bug.

Best regards

dj
djhan

Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:19 am Post

hello, I'm DJ.HAN. please forgive my poor english.

I found bug of 1.5b4. It can't save last working position correctly when you working in split window mode(2-pane view mode).

you can reproduce this symptom ;
1) working in split window
2) save and quitting
3) relaunch scrivener
4) cursor wasn't place last working position(If you working in upper pane, cursor will be place in lower pane). also can't display last working position.

I tested in macos 10.5.6(korean). please check and resolve this problem.
Thanks, good luck!

KB
Site Admin

Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:00 pm Post

Beta 5 now available.

This fixes the problem with text containers not exporting their notes, and improves arbitrary highlighting issues that were reported earlier, too.

It also adds an enhancement in that the active pane is now remembered between launches.

DogDutyAscetic - I have been unable to reproduce the slow scratch pad as yet, I'm afraid, and the highlighting you report is normal - it will go all the way to the edges if you don't have any text margins.

Thanks for all the reports, and apologies for the wonky forum at the moment - Dreamhost assure me that they are working on it.

All the best,
Keith

dj
djhan

Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:21 am Post

hello, I'm DJ.HAN. please forgive my poor english.

I tested 1.5b5. but I found it have still bug with last working postion. It can't move last working position correctly when you working in split window mode(2-pane view mode).

you can reproduce this symptom ;
1) working in split window
2) save and quitting
3) relaunch scrivener
4) It can't display last working position. But cursor(insertion point) was place in last working position.

I tested in macos 10.5.6(korean). please check and resolve this problem.
Thanks, good luck!

jo
jon

Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:04 am Post

I'm missing the "Layouts"-item in the toolbar.
Otherwise no problems so far.

Mi
MicMac

Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:31 am Post

Hi

It seams to me that the toolbar state of saved Layouts is not rememberd.

That is applying a Layout with a specific Toolbar state does not change the combination of icons in the toolbar.

Mic

KB
Site Admin

Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:58 am Post

d.j.han - the editor panes jump back to the position the cursor was last in, not necessarily to where the text was actually scrolled; that's how it has always been. That may change for 2.0, but I haven't added it yet.

As for the Layouts - sorry, could you explain more? I don't think there was ever a Layouts toolbar item so I"m a bit confused...

All the best,
Keith

jo
jon

Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:12 am Post

Keith: V 1.12 -> "Customize Toolbar" -> the line beginning with "Superscript" shows "Table", then "Layouts". Now we have "Tables", "Invisibles" and so on.

Ti
Timothy.Donaldson

Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:39 pm Post

I'm still seeing some problems with arbitrary highlighting colours not sticking.

I also have an issue (perhaps this is not a bug) with find/replace; I have search highlight set to a bright green for visibility but this turns to an almost invisible grey (my text background is grey) when the focus switches to the 'find' window, causing some usability problems.

Ti
Timothy.Donaldson

Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:47 pm Post

After running through a document finding and replacing (not highlighting), I find that all of the unchanged instances (that were 'highlighted' by the find/replace process) have now been turned black.

Also, I don't understand why I keep getting a black highlight when the colour I selected in the arbitrary highlighting was a pale blue.