UPDATED: Scrivener 1.5 beta 6 now available

Sean Coffee

Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:17 pm Post

[quote="KB"]Be sure to choose to straighten smart quotes, turn ellipses into three periods and so forth in the Text Options of Compile Draft - the smart versions of those characters aren't supported in the format.
All the best,
Keith[/quote]

This may be a screamingly obvious tip, but you never know. Sometimes I want to just export a section to FD without compiling, just so I can see how long it really is or whatever. Which requires me to be in "dumb" mode all the time. Not a problem, especially in Courier -- you can barely tell the difference. But since I just found out about the problem exporting "smart" characters, I had an issue with having 50 pages of a script in "smart" mode.

Fortunately, you can conform your whole script to "dumb" quotes and ellipses with a simple find/change. Unclick the "smart" features in Preferences > Typography. Hit apply (so now your new typing will be in "dumb" mode, but your existing work won't.) Copy and paste either of the "smart" versions of those characters into the find box, type in their replacements (now in dumb mode) into "Replace" and hit "Replace All". Works like a charm.

Like I said, obvious as hell, but it wasn't to me initially. When I typed the "dumb" characters into the Replace box, they looked exactly the same, and I thought it wouldn't work. It does.

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:15 pm Post

You can also use Text > Convert > Quotes to Straight Quotes.

Sean Coffee

Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:05 pm Post

Oh. Yeah, that too.

Si
Sirmausalot

Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:27 pm Post

I hope I'm not missing something, but you could really use a basic title for your screenplay format. You know, centered over the action, first line (for the title) capitalized, the by and name centered and regular case. Also, I don't know if I'm missing something, but in full screen mode, I can drag my cursor to the bottom of the screen and the menu won't pop up if I'm on the 'sides' of the document. It's confusing because the pop up menu covers the entire bottom of the screen (as it should) so I expect to be able to pop it up by dragging anywhere down there.

Thanks for listening.

Doug

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:09 pm Post

Since the title of the document is only printed once, including that would clutter up the menu with something so seldom used. But if you really want to have them, in the Text menu, go to Scriptwriting and then select Script Settings. You can add your own format lines here.

I get the HUD no matter where I move the pointer to on the bottom of the screen, by the way. At least that is what I assume you mean by dragging to the pop-up menu at the bottom of the screen. Generally, "dragging" is referred to the action of moving the pointer while having clicked on a component and keeping the mouse button depressed while moving and then "dropping" the item in a new location. If I click and drag down to the bottom of the screen, then yes the HUD doesn't show up, nor should it because that would ordinarily (if the mouse was over text) be a text selection action, and you wouldn't want the HUD getting in the way if you were selecting text.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

br
brathna

Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:18 pm Post

In full-screen mode, I have the background set to black and the text a light turquoise. When I go into full-screen and type something, everything is fine. When I leave it and come back, the background behind any new text that I type is now white. Also, if I leave full-screen and type something in the normal window and return to full-screen, the background for the newly typed text is also white.

I've attached a screenshot.

Update: I've found another step involved in replicating that bug. In normal view, I looked at the arbitrary highlight window but didn't set anything in it. I just closed the window. Now, the bug that I mentioned above continues until I restart Scrivener. Even if I click on None in highlight, it still wants to highlight.
Attachments
Picture 2.png
Picture 2.png (8.12 KiB) Viewed 1728 times

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:42 pm Post

This morning (a certain other version of) Scrivener started telling me a new version was available:

"Scrivener 1.50 is now available (you have 1.50/1.50 b6). Would you like to download it now?"

Am I just finding myself on the leading edge of a 1.5 out of beta this morning, or to what do I owe this announcement?

Best,
Greg

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:06 pm Post

Scrivener 1.5 has indeed now gone live and is now the official release.

I am therefore closing this thread, as any bugs pertaining to 1.5 can now be reported in via the regular Bug Hunt forum.

Brathna - it looks as though you have accidentally changed the highlights to white rather than clearing the highlights. White highlights obviously wouldn't show up against a white background, but will in full screen. Try selecting the text and clearing the highlights. If you still have problems, post in the Technical Support forums.

Thanks to everyone who took part in beta testing, especially to those who posted bug reports and helped me track and fix them.

All the best,
Keith