Scrivener Beta 3 now public

Hu
Hugh
Platform: Mac

Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:07 pm Post

Good to see you in these columns once again, druid. Maybe I've simply not seen your contributions, but it seems a long time since I've read one. I hope that the groves of Yankee academe are treating you well. Festive greetings!

H
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

xiamenese

Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:43 pm Post

Though the beta 3 being referred to in the title of this thread is not a beta of Scrivener 3. If you look at the date of Keith's last post, you'll see that it was posted in 2006!

Mark
The Scrivenerato sometimes known as Mr X.
MacBook Pro Retina 10.13, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MacBook Pro 17" (late 2011) 10.13, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
iPad Air 2, iOS 11, 64GB
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:57 pm Post

xiamenese wrote:If you look at the date of Keith's last post, you'll see that it was posted in 2006!

C'mon Mark, me old mate. Cut em' some slack! :shock: It's Christmas and they've probably been at the bottle :twisted:

Merry Christmas folks! :D
Vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

xiamenese

Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:03 pm Post

Happy Christmas, Vic!

:)

Mark
The Scrivenerato sometimes known as Mr X.
MacBook Pro Retina 10.13, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MacBook Pro 17" (late 2011) 10.13, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
iPad Air 2, iOS 11, 64GB
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Br
Briar Kit

Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:05 am Post

druid wrote:No complaints here, though I am troubled that we must have the latest Mac OS to run Scrivener 3. That forces us to go along with Apple’s planned obsolescence, which forces upgrades to new, expensive hardware, just as in the bad old days of Microsoft dominance.

Intriguing, especially as Scrivener 3 seems to have been in development for some time before macOS Sierra was released. Assumed S3 would be compatible with earlier versions of OS X.

I wonder if you intended to post on the beta forum? Not a beta tester, but I found the publicly available forum online at:

[URL Removed]
Last edited by Briar Kit on Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Account closed January 2017

ma
markusbern

Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:26 am Post

I installed, then: Beta has expired,
This beta was time-limited and has now expired. Please visit http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum to download the most recent beta version

what should I do?

Br
Briar Kit

Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:36 am Post

markusbern wrote:I installed, then: Beta has expired,
This beta was time-limited and has now expired. Please visit http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum to download the most recent beta version

what should I do?

If urgent, http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum ... 55#p228055

Or try the dedicated beta forum... [URL removed]

es
especiale

Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:24 am Post

I will be very disappointed if the circulating information about the coming Scrivener 3 being compatible only with Sierra is true! I have an old iMac still working very well under El Capitan and not updatable to the new Apple System and I do not understand why the new Scrivener would not run on my machine. I have been waiting for this update for months…

Thank you.
ES

matsgz
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:48 pm Post

This is an answer earlier in this thread:

kewms wrote:
Scrivener 3.0 will use the 64-bit Apple libraries. This should improve stability and reliability -- Apple seems to be letting maintenance of the 32-bit stuff slip -- but it will impact backward compatibility.

Katherine

Translates to "only Sierra", I'm afraid.
Scribo ergo sum

Br
Briar Kit

Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:52 pm Post

matsgz wrote:This is an answer earlier in this thread:

kewms wrote:
Scrivener 3.0 will use the 64-bit Apple libraries. This should improve stability and reliability -- Apple seems to be letting maintenance of the 32-bit stuff slip -- but it will impact backward compatibility.

Katherine

Translates to "only Sierra", I'm afraid.

But ... earlier versions of OS X support 64-bit apps. Something different about Sierra’s 64-bit implementation?

nontroppo

Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:18 pm Post

With each release Apple adds features to APIs, fixes bugs, and deprecates then removes other features. It requires a lot of extra work for developers to keep backwards compatibility across multiple OS releases. It seems Keith has rewritten large parts of Scrivener and it would be foolish of him to do all that work only to use old deprecated APIs, it is right he uses modern development paradigms so Scrivener can keep going for the next few years without more rearchitecting. macOS and Apple have never much cared for backwards compatibility, and that is a price we must all pay...

sc
scshrugged
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:48 pm Post

Regarding compatibility, Keith reported that he's been using Scrivener 3 for two years :
I've been using Scrivener 3 for all my main writing for the past two years. There should be no more risk using Scrivener 3 than Scrivener 2, because it is built on top of Scrivener 2 and all of the core load and save code is the same (despite some differences in the way files are organised inside the file package). The main risk is more crashes and errors because of new features having been introduced that are only now being heavily tested in real-world use. And the biggest risk there is always an internal error that disrupts saving. You can such minimise risks by ensuring you backup regularly and close Scrivener at the end of each day and reopen it the next (by doing so, any internal errors that have occurred will be cleared). Likewise, if you see any behaviour that seems random or strange, quit and relaunch.

All the best,
Keith

[URL removed]

Best to wait to hear from the developer(s) before drawing any conclusions about backwards compatibility.

Edit by scshrugged -- Ignore my above post, including my quoting of Keith. The opening original post was from 2006 and was speaking about a different "Beta 3". I misread the thread. Sorry if I misled anyone, and sorry to Keith for quoting him out of context.
Last edited by scshrugged on Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

An
Andre van Haren

Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:19 pm Post

This post isn't really about scrivener 3, right? The beta I downloaded is too old to be even opened. Will there be a version 3 in the coming future?

André

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:42 pm Post

Right, the post was made on the third Sunday of October, 2006, over ten years ago. The beta version it linked to back then has rightly expired. :)
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

An
Andre van Haren

Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:56 pm Post

AmberV wrote:Right, the post was made on the third Sunday of October, 2006, over ten years ago. The beta version it linked to back then has rightly expired. :)

Maybe in that case, shouldn't this post be renamed/removed? It's kind of confusing...