Scrivener Beta 3 now public

jc
jcsilvia

Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:26 pm Post

Keith,
First post (since any bugs I saw in beta two were already mentioned by the time I got to it), but I just wanted to say I fired up beta3 today for about 2 hours to do some writing and I was pretty massively impressed. Really happy with it, enough so that I'd like to echo the "let us pre reg for full version 1" note someone else made. This program has been phenomenal (the gold version which I've been using extensively lately has been great, the two betas I've tried even better) and I'd pay for this particular beta if it were released 1.0 :)

Awesome job, and, of course, I'll bug report if I see any probs (as I said, none so far). Keep up the fantastic work!

Oh, also, if you include help topics or a more detailed manual with the next beta or 1.0, I think I agree that specifying that the stage/screenplay section is supposed to be basic, it would be good as I could also see people complaining that it doesn't necessarily follow every single formatting condition ever.

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:33 pm Post

Thanks for taking the time to say you like the app, jcsilvia (and thanks to everyone who has taken the time to praise beta 3 :) ), much appreciated.

Oh, also, if you include help topics or a more detailed manual with the next beta or 1.0, I think I agree that specifying that the stage/screenplay section is supposed to be basic, it would be good as I could also see people complaining that it doesn't necessarily follow every single formatting condition ever.

I doubt I will get around to any documentation for the next beta, but maybe the one after that. The focus of the next beta is getting the registration code in there, and then the focus for beta 5 will be getting some documentation written. I agree that I need to make the script formatting limiations explicit in the documentation, but documentation takes a lower priority than bug fixing etc because, obviously, one the drawbacks of using beta software is a lack of docs. :)

All the best,
Keith

ed
edf
Platform: Linux

Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:01 pm Post

Beta3 is definitely a nice piece of work -- great job!

I'd been planning to use Scrivener for essays, books, and whatever fiction I could find time for. In my eagerness to play with the beta, I've started to use it for technical and business documentation (manuals, policy documents, etc). The piece de resistance, for me, is the full screen mode: the implementation blows competitors out of the water.

There are a few things that caught me off-guard. The first is the font preference for General Text Attributes: changing this does not change the font of existing text, so at first I thought the preferences were not being saved/applied -- perhaps a mention in the tutorial or eventually the help file.

The second is the corkboard, which does not seem fully functional (pins and status do not appear) ... I'm assuming this is in a known bug, as the pins worked in a previous beta.

The third is having multiple projects open, then exiting and starting Scrivener: only the most recently-opened project is opened. This is by design, judging by the wording of the Preferences checkbox, but it is disconcerting the first time.

Ok, got the praise out of the way, the problems out of the way, now for the inevitable wish list:

* A Text->Convert option to remove line breaks. I imported a 70-char wide email and ended up removing the line breaks in an external editor.

* A way to select all text in multiple documents (or in Edit Scrivenings) and apply font changes. Based purely on my whim to switch from the default font to good old Courier ... after importing all of my files.

* An Applescript dictionary. This is obviously a very involved process and not worthy of a version 1 feature (possibly not worth doing at all). Still, the ability to access (even read-only) the Scrivener binder/group/text contents and metadata from something like DevonThink would be very nice.

Thanks again for all the hard work! I am eagerly awaiting the release version.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:10 pm Post

edf wrote:There are a few things that caught me off-guard. The first is the font preference for General Text Attributes: changing this does not change the font of existing text, so at first I thought the preferences were not being saved/applied -- perhaps a mention in the tutorial or eventually the help file.

Right. Since each document can have its own font and style settings, globally wiping everything out if you change the default might not be what you want to do (and what would be done with snapshots?). You can manually change documents you have selected in the Binder using Edit/Convert Format of Selected Documents. This can be done to as many documents as you want, at once.

The second is the corkboard, which does not seem fully functional (pins and status do not appear)

They are working for me. Do you perhaps not have them turned on? It is the default state in new projects for them to both be turned off. Check in View/Index Cards, and see if there is a check beside those two items.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

KB
Site Admin

Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:22 pm Post

There are a few things that caught me off-guard. The first is the font preference for General Text Attributes: changing this does not change the font of existing text, so at first I thought the preferences were not being saved/applied -- perhaps a mention in the tutorial or eventually the help file.

How the text attributes apply will certainly be mentioned in the Help file when I write it. The current behaviour is certainly the most desirable - preferences should not change the format of saved documents, but only apply to newly created ones.

The second is the corkboard, which does not seem fully functional (pins and status do not appear) ... I'm assuming this is in a known bug, as the pins worked in a previous beta.

Like AmberV says, this is just a view option. Just hit Cmd-P and Cmd-S to see them both. Pins should probably be on by default, now that I think about it.

The third is having multiple projects open, then exiting and starting Scrivener: only the most recently-opened project is opened. This is by design, judging by the wording of the Preferences checkbox, but it is disconcerting the first time.

Yes, this is by design.

* A Text->Convert option to remove line breaks. I imported a 70-char wide email and ended up removing the line breaks in an external editor.

Not sure this is really Scrivener's job. Do you just mean removing newlines?

* A way to select all text in multiple documents (or in Edit Scrivenings) and apply font changes. Based purely on my whim to switch from the default font to good old Courier ... after importing all of my files.

This is already possible, though not in Edit Scrivenings for reasons mentioned in previous threads (search on "Edit Scrivenings"). Just select the documents you want to convert, and then go to Edit > Convert Format of Selected Documents... You can choose to convert them to the format you have set in your Preferences for default text attributes or to the export format set up in Project Settings. And actually, this works if you are in Edit Scrivenings, too.

* An Applescript dictionary. This is obviously a very involved process and not worthy of a version 1 feature (possibly not worth doing at all). Still, the ability to access (even read-only) the Scrivener binder/group/text contents and metadata from something like DevonThink would be very nice.

Not in the near future. :)

All the best,
Keith

ed
edf
Platform: Linux

Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:52 am Post

You can manually change documents you have selected in the Binder using Edit/Convert Format of Selected Documents

Aha! I missed that one in my search through the menus, my eyes must have assumed it was another version of Covert to File. That does the job.

Check in View/Index Cards, and see if there is a check beside those two items.

That worked, thanks -- I was looking in the Preferences. I see to recall them being there previously, but I could be mis-remembering. And yes, I skipped that part of the tutorial, thinking I had read it many times before :)

Like AmberV says, this is just a view option. Just hit Cmd-P and Cmd-S to see them both.

Cmd-Opt-P and S, it turns out.

Not sure this is really Scrivener's job. Do you just mean removing newlines?

Yes, that's what I mean. I took a look at Find/Replace, and didn't see any indication that metacharacters/regular expressions were supported, so I bounced the text into Textmate and back. Since Text->Convert has an item for consolidating whitespace, it seemed a natural place to look for it.

Anyways, Scrivener is for generating content, not text processing. If there is a way to find/replace tabs and newlines currently, great; if not, it's not important.

Not in the near future.

Well it never hurts to ask, hehe.

Thanks guys!

Lord Lightning

Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:55 am Post

For the small chorus of users referring to formatting as an issue, it might be helpful to go here:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum ... .php?t=511

It more or less puts this issue to bed.

PS: Keith, this is sublime.
Lord Lightning

I'm a writer. I create worlds!
When I make a declarative statement it applies to ME. Not to everyone.

br
brett

Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:17 am Post

To get rid of extraneous line breaks, spaces and other text annoyances, go to http://www.devon-technologies.com/download/index.html and click on the free "WordService," which will place a command called Format in your Services menu. Select the text you want to clean up, click on Format in the Services menu, and you can reformat to your heart's content.

alexwein

Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:38 pm Post

Geez, I've had that all along and never realized it. I used to use TextSoap but they charged too much to upgrade and I don't use it enough to warrant it. This is too cool. Thanks for the tip, brett!!

Alexandria

Eiron

Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:57 am Post

katzenjammer wrote:Hey Eiron,
On barely-related note: do you ever wonder if, perhaps, we're all a little insane on this forum? Dost thou thinkest that, say, a Shakespeare or a Dostoevsky worried or cared about the sorts of niggling issues we seem to care about so much here in this forum?

Katzenjammer,

Sorry for the slow reply, things have been pretty hectic of late and I've had to cut down my online time. In answer to your query: I suspect that Dostoevsky had much better reasons for being insane than I do - I bet he would have loved to worry about keyboard assignments instead of firing squads. As for Shakespeare, there's no way to know, but I'm guessing working in a very commercial theatre gave him enough niggling issues to fill his day. I try to remember every day that worrying about process and method as much as I do - and that's a lot - is a luxury.

The only way I ever get anything done is on deadline. If other people weren't counting on me I would fiddle all day long on things like line spacing or the weight of artificial snowflakes- there's something oddly reassuring in having the luxury to decide something is important when it isn't. It gives me the illusion of control and the hope that somehow I will be able to steamline things so well that my process a nd my work will be stress free.

But in my heart of hearts I know that the stress IS my process. Give me time and I'll fiddle and plan perfection, take it away and I'll improvise something that's more than good enough, for me at any rate.

Hmmmm....maybe If I had a firing squad or a royal command to meet, I'd write better.

So you see....totally nuts. :shock:

Eiron.

Go
Gonzie

Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:04 pm Post

k i understand you have to make money on this sorta thing ie the esellerate thing you mentioned in the first post but will support paypal? it's just less hassle for me

any ideas on price?

KB
Site Admin

Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:12 pm Post

eSellerate fully support PayPal so that is fine. The price will be $34.99.
Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Go
Gonzie

Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:14 pm Post

excellent thanks for the prompt reply keith

psst where to i send info about bugs and other issues i'm having, i wasn't paying attention :(

KB
Site Admin

Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:22 pm Post

Please use the forums - the forum titles are self-explanatory and they all have descriptions underneath.

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:45 pm Post

I have worked with S3 for several weeks and had no difficulties at all. The interface is familiar yet simple, and while the number of commands seem to have grown, finding what you need is easy, thanks to the Help menu and its Search command. Try it for something like Hide Invisibles.

My current project involves reading student journals in a seminar course on film. The files arrive as e-mail attachments and I save them to a folder on Dropbox. The formats were a mixed lot of rtf, docx, and pages. After opening S3, I dragged them into the Binder, and every file swiftly converted into a readable text.

They all became Palatino with invisibles showing, at 1.1 spacing. Possibly that was the format of the first file and it became a default. I easily converted to my preferred format, wrote my comments in a separate file, split it into student units, and returned them by e-mail.

No complaints here, though I am troubled that we must have the latest Mac OS to run Scrivener 3. That forces us to go along with Apple’s planned obsolescence, which forces upgrades to new, expensive hardware, just as in the bad old days of Microsoft dominance.