Oops – can't get it going at all!

Spitfire31

Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:41 pm Post

Hi Keith & group,

Nice to be here! I read about Scrivener over at Jer's (I'm writing a novel using an early beta of Jer's Novel Write) and got curious. After browsing the forum, I'm prepared to love Scrivener, but...

Below is a crash report. Briefly, I'm on a G5 2x2.3 with loads of RAM and just updated to 10.4.8 and latest QT. I run a Swedish system with a Swedish keyboard, btw.

This is what I did:

Before I found Beta 2, I downloaded Beta 1. When I first opened the Tutorial, the app opened but apart from the GUI I could just see an empty light grey window with three movable dots on it. I tried to Add new text, but nothing happened and maybe half of the menus are greyed out.

I quit, repaired permissions and the next time, Tutorial told me it was an old format and would I like to update it. I did, but still the blank page in Scrivener Beta 1.

After perusing the forum, I realized there's a Beta 2. I downloaded and installed.

Same things happened (more or less, as far as I can remember) but now, as soon as I double click the Tutorial, after the question if I want to update the format, Scrivener immediately crashes.

I feel like a fool, seeing as how everyone seems to be enjoying the programme. Problems with QT or 10.4.8? Or the fact that I'm running a Swedish language version?

Any ideas would be most welcome.

Best regards,

Joey

---
Last edited by Spitfire31 on Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:16 pm Post

Hi,

This is strange - someone else had a similar problem. Some things to check:

1) Are you upgrading from an SG project? Have you got Scrivener Gold installed anywhere? Have you _ever_ installed Scrivener Gold? The most common cause for this crash is an old installation of Scrivener Gold trying to open - and actually corrupting - a new .scriv file. If this is the case, re-download the tutorial.scriv, launch Scrivener and open the .scriv file through the File menu rather than double-clicking on the .scriv file. Make sure you delete any Scrivener Gold installations for now.

2) If not, is the project you are trying to open read-only? Scrivener won't open read-only files. If you are trying to open the Tutorial, have you copied it to your hard drive? (I doubt this is the problem, given that Scrivener checks this.)

3) The other thing I've heard can cause this is a fonts problem. Try searching for com.literatureandlatte.scrivener and then trash the file. Then, open Scrivener by launching the app (ie. not by double-clicking a file), go to Preferences > Fonts & Colors and make sure that a valid font is chosen for everything. If any of the fields are blank, this could be the problem. Once you have done that, try opening the tutorial.scriv file again (after copying a fresh copy to your hard drive).

Please let me know if any of these fix your issue. If the fonts thing fixes your issue, for instance, then I know that I have to change the default fonts. If nothing here fixes your issues, then obviously I need to do more to help. Please _do_ keep in touch, as I want to make sure that I eliminate this problem so that no one else experiences it.

Thanks for trying Scrivener, sorry that it hasn't gone so well so far!

All the best,
Keith

Spitfire31

Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:39 pm Post

Hello Keith,

Many thanks for your fast feedback!

Your #3) was it! In the Fonts & Colours pref module, the Default notes font and the Photographs title font fields were blank. (I have a screen dump for it, if you have any use for it, but I'd have to email it to you since I haven't got a URL for it.)

I selected Arial for both the blanks and hey! presto, I could open the Tutorial!

Btw, I never had the Gold version installed; this is my first brush with Scrivener. Now I'll start exploring.

Er, tomorrow, I'll start exploring – here it's half past midnight.

Thanks again!

Best,

Joey

KB
Site Admin

Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:42 pm Post

Glad it worked (and thanks to Lord Lightning, who first discovered the root of this bug).

Do you have the Chalkboard and Optima fonts installed on your system? These are the default fonts for the fields that were blank. I thought these were just installed in OS X by default, but if not, I may have to do a check for this.

Anyway, I'm glad you got it working!

Thanks,
Keith

Spitfire31

Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:55 pm Post

Neither Chalkboard nor Optima are installed in my system (and I haven't removed any fonts; besides, I rather like Optima...).

Cheers,

Joey

Lord Lightning

Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:05 am Post

Hi Spitfire31,

So, the person with the Rolls Royce Merlin engine has landed at Scrivener. A big welcome.

If you want to get a really fast handle on Scrivener (and remember, Keith is about to release b3 - so things will be even better), then go over to Tips & Tricks. Keith and AmberV are putting it together to illuminate solved problems and share user's tips.

Of course it goes without saying that Keith's introduction that comes bundled with the application is really a must read.
Lord Lightning

I'm a writer. I create worlds!
When I make a declarative statement it applies to ME. Not to everyone.

KB
Site Admin

Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:31 pm Post

Neither Chalkboard nor Optima are installed in my system (and I haven't removed any fonts; besides, I rather like Optima...).

Weird... But good to know. So I definitely need to look into doing a check on this one.

Thanks,
Keith

Ti
Timotheus

Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:22 pm Post

(Yeah, this was my problem too - see http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum ... highlight= )

Spitfire31

Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:19 pm Post

Lord Lightning wrote:Hi Spitfire31,

So, the person with the Rolls Royce Merlin engine has landed at Scrivener. A big welcome.

If you want to get a really fast handle on Scrivener (and remember, Keith is about to release b3 - so things will be even better), then go over to Tips & Tricks. Keith and AmberV are putting it together to illuminate solved problems and share user's tips.

Of course it goes without saying that Keith's introduction that comes bundled with the application is really a must read.

Many thanks for the welcoming words! I've spent some time now to work through the Tutorial and – wow! I have a strong feeling that I'm going to love working in Scrivener; it seems to be very well thought out indeed.

Tips & Tricks is my next stop...

To put the record straight, my engine is really a RR Griffon! ;-) The '31' in my nom de guerre refers to 'S 31' – the apellation for the PR Mk XIX in Swedish service (S for Spaning = reconnaissance). The most beautiful Spit of them all, in overall PRU Blue, with the curved windscreen and no ugly wing cannons or bulges! But I digress...

Best,

Joey