Scrivener 1.12 beta 1 now available for testing

Tr
Tripper
Platform: Mac

Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:15 pm Post

[quote="KB"]Could you send me an example text document that does this? Either a test Scrivener project or a text document I can import into Scrivener that will exhibit this behaviour when exported.
Thanks,
Keith[/quote]

Of course now when I try to reproduce it it doesn't happen! I'll try and cut a piece from where it is happening and put it into a new document.

What I am also trying is an export to Pages (I'm trying to move away from Word) to see if that produces a more successful transfer. One problem I'm having is that page breaks are not being transferred either to Word or Pages and I've tried exporting as RTF and .doc. Yes I do have page break bfr selected.

KB
Site Admin

Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:42 pm Post

Don't even get me started on Pages... Pages won't recognise the page breaks, definitely. Apple have long used a particular unicode character to represent page breaks... And Pages doesn't recognise it.

Try the following:
1) In TextEdit, go to Format > Wrap to Page and type some text.
2) Go to Edit > Insert > Page Break.
3) Type some more text on the newly created page.
4) Either select all and copy and paste to Pages, or save as RTF and open in Pages.

Note that Pages doesn't recognise the page breaks.

In other words, TextEdit is a better RTF reader than Pages. Pages loses all of the stuff that TextEdit does, plus page breaks. The only formats that Pages fully supports are .pages (which is only in use by Pages), .doc and .docx. It is thus only really useful as a Word replacement if you do not want to exchange formats with other programs.

Best,
Keith

Tr
Tripper

Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:49 pm Post

That's interesting about Pages. However, even exported as a .doc file I can't get either Word or Pages to recognise the page breaks!

KB
Site Admin

Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:17 pm Post

A .doc file exported from Scrivener is really just a disguised RTF file, so it will exhibit the same behaviour as RTF - Pages won't recognised the page breaks. Word should, though - both 2004 and 2008 versions of Word have always recognised RTF page breaks. I really need more details or a sample file to be able to help.
Best,
Keith

Tr
Tripper

Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:06 pm Post

Keith
OK, I've created a new Scrivener file and exported it, and of course that seems to work fine! I've gone back and checked my settings and I had Folders selected on the Titles line (under document elements). Unselecting this has made the page breaks work!

I feel a bit of a fool but it has made made my life easier. Still the matter of line run-ons though...

Thanks for your help,

Trip

Ro
RobertB

Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:17 pm Post

This may have been reported but I've run across some missing text in the right-click menu. I've just attached a screenshot. Basically, I just right-clicked on the folder in the binder.

[attachment=0]Scrivener-menu.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
Scrivener-menu.jpg
Screenshot
Scrivener-menu.jpg (42.48 KiB) Viewed 1099 times

KB
Site Admin

Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:09 pm Post

I'm not really sure what you mean. The contextual menu looks fine to me. Where is the missing text? There are items greyed out that aren't available for the selection, but I can't see any missing text... Could you elaborate?

Oh, wait, I see that "Label" is missing. Go to File > Label & Status Setup. I bet you have accidentally deleted the label title.

Best,
Keith

Ro
RobertB

Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:04 am Post

[quote="KB"]I'm not really sure what you mean. The contextual menu looks fine to me. Where is the missing text? There are items greyed out that aren't available for the selection, but I can't see any missing text... Could you elaborate?

Oh, wait, I see that "Label" is missing. Go to File > Label & Status Setup. I bet you have accidentally deleted the label title.

Best,
Keith[/quote]

Ooops, and so I did. Sorry for the extraneous "report" here. Everything is back to normal now. Not sure how I deleted the text though. Thanks!

Tr
Tripper

Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:38 pm Post

[quote="KB"]Could you send me an example text document that does this? Either a test Scrivener project or a text document I can import into Scrivener that will exhibit this behaviour when exported.
Thanks,
Keith[/quote]

I found another offending bit of text that loses the line break on export and tried to paste it into a new Scrivener document to send to you. What I found was the same behaviour as exporting to .doc: it lost the new line!

I went back to the original document and widened the editing window view to make sure there is an actual line break and it is there is until I go quite wide and bingo, the new line runs on to the previous one! I don't know if this offers any new clues. I don't how to get this to you in a form that demonstrates the original problem since I can paste the offending bit into a new document.

Thanks

Tripper

KB
Site Admin

Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:17 pm Post

Hmm... that sounds like it's not a line break at all but a tab or lots of spaces or something... Have you checked that? Really, all you need to do is copy and paste the offending piece of text into a .doc file or some such and e-mail it to me, though...
Best,
Keith

ga
gavin

Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:33 pm Post

For some reason, when I remove the #´s from the compiling/text options/scene break box they magically reappears when I print, or go back to the settings later, even if I save my settings. (I´m running Leopard 5.2)

Thanks for your work--this is great software!

Gavin

KB
Site Admin

Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:55 pm Post

In the same project or a different one? Obviously this setting only affects the current project...
Thanks,
Keith

ga
gavin

Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:29 am Post

Yes, it´s in the same project. I can delete the hash, save the settings, and then print. And the hashes are printed. After a few clicks, if I go back to the settings menu, the hash that I had deleted has reappeared in the box.

Thanks,
Gavin

KB
Site Admin

Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:54 pm Post

Well, Compile Draft has been completely rewritten for the next version anyway. I think I know the problem, though. If you leave the box in which the hash appears empty but the setting still set to "Custom", then the hash will be inserted by default. You need to change "Custom" in the pop-up button to single or double newline.

Best,
Keith

su
suavito

Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:59 pm Post

When a Scrivener link contains a German umlaut it is displayed in Lucida Grande and not in the document font (which, of course, does contain umlauts).

Don't know if this is a new bug in the beta or if it has always been around. I never noticed it before though.