Scrivener 1.12 beta 1 now available for testing

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:49 pm Post

Reply comments:

Please do a little more research. Scrivener has a large number of preferences, hence the setup of Apply/OK/red close button. Apple's own Xcode (the Apple development program) has preferences like this too.

Programs that are document-based can open a new window upon being opened because they do not require a project created on disk. Project-based programs - such as Xcode, iMovie HD, GarageBand and so on - all require, and have, a start window. Note that Scrivener's new start window is, in fact, based on the start windows from Apple applications.

Wock

Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:10 pm Post

Nice job Keith
I like the new Start window. Very Applish.

One thing I noticed was if you click New Project from the Start Window, the dialog (assistant) for new project comes up but does not close the Start Window. If you select Empty Project the next window appears. Then if you click choose for the project Directory the Apple Dialog box comes up. Select a new directory. When that window closes the Start Window is on top of the assistant window hiding it from view making it a tad confusing. This only happens if you try to choose a new directory instead of the default one in the assistant (I think because it switches to the Apple Dialog box? Dunno)

Can you have the start window Close once you select New Project from the start window instead of it closing after you have made your assistant choices and click create. (Clicking create closes the start window)

This is not anything but esthetics so no priority, just wanted to make that small suggestion.
:-)

KB
Site Admin

Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:54 pm Post

Yes, I've already done a bit more work on this, but there's more to do - the Start window in the beta out there is definitely a bit buggy. Getting it to act exactly like the Apple ones in GarageBand and iMovie HD is pretty tough, but it's nearly there, and hopefully will be much better in behaviour for the next beta.
Best,
Keith

Se
SeBakasam

Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:15 pm Post

Great work, Keith. I have not had any problems with this Beta so far. I really like the new startup window, which gives it more continuity with the rest of the OS. And the bold, italic, and underline buttons on the ruler are very useful. Keep up the good work!

bobembry
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:57 pm Post

Hope I'm not covering old ground.

When a document is split the Document Notes are replicated to the new document. If that document is split again and the new, new document is then split ..... there are multiple copies of the original note.

Is this a bug or the intended behavior?

I haven't tested to see if the same behavior applies to keywords and references.

Thanks

Bob

KB
Site Admin

Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:39 pm Post

This is intended behaviour. Supposing you are cutting up a long document - the notes may refer to several sections. So it saves you having to leap about between newly split documents cutting and pasting - you can just delete what no longer applies to that document. Likewise, keywords and references may apply to all of the documents that are being split.

All the best,
Keith

Ro
RodiX

Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:50 pm Post

Is 1.12 the next update or is it 1.2?

Will there be a beta 2?

KB
Site Admin

Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:26 pm Post

1.12 is going to be called 1.2 (or rather, 1.20 because of the update system), because of the number of big improvements and enhancements. So, beta 2 will actually be 1.2 beta 1... But it won't be for some time yet.
Best,
Keith

su
suavito

Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:57 am Post

I'm not sure if this is Beta-related or not but I wonder why this was not mentioned before (or was it?) when it has been around for longer so I put I here:

You can not paste into a footnote!

At first I created a new footnote and tried to paste text into it but I was just normal text.

My guess was that either the empty footnote vanishes when you copy and paste or that it was a problem of exact cursor (re-)positioning. I tried a workaround by creating a new footnote containing "xx", positioned the cursor in between of the two x-es and then paste. Again, it was just normal text in between of now two footnotes, each containing a "x".

Going the opposite way by pasting first, highlighting the pasted text and finally turning it into a footnote worked.

Still, it would be better if pasting into a footnote would work just like that. Imagine pasting into an already existing footnote: That means to highlight the whole three-part soon-to-be note (left: footnote, middle: just text, right: another footnote), click "Footnote" to un-footnotize the side parts and to click it again to create one big footnote.

I hope it is possible to modify your footnote hack, Keith.

su
suavito

Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:27 am Post

And another thing about footnotes:

Like I said, I copied and pasted a number of footnote contents into the text.

The Text at whole was imported and contained a number of links. I kept the text part of the links in my text file and attached their urls via a footnote. The reason for that simply was that I gave this text of some internet forum origin a work-over for getting printed.

Everything looked pretty well in Scrivener but when I exported to rtf the first footnote number in the text was underlined (the rest was okay).

I could not remove the underlining. This was definitely not some left-over underlining from my text because I didn't use underlining at all. It also looks not black like the rest of the text but dark violet, 'link coloured', so to speak.

This is obviously a rare combination of actions and it doesn't bother me but I thought I might mention it.

Wock

Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:52 pm Post

[quote="KB"]1.12 is going to be called 1.2 (or rather, 1.20 because of the update system), because of the number of big improvements and enhancements. So, beta 2 will actually be 1.2 beta 1... But it won't be for some time yet.
Best,
Keith[/quote]

Hey Keith quick question.

From what I have read and I am assuming, the next update will offer many improvements and some new enhancements. My question is why the 1.2 denotation?

I would think that SCR has matured enough that with this next update it really should be

Scrivener 2.0

SCR has come a very long way since Gold and truthfully you have added enough enhancements through the 1.X stages to qualify this next major update to a 2.0 designation.

Just a thought. :-)

KB
Site Admin

Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:28 pm Post

suavito - the RTF export for footnotes is a bit of a hack, as I have had to hack that feature into the default Apple exporter (which doesn't support footnotes). I have rewritten the code for the next beta, so it should be much better and will hopefull fix some of the issues you have mentioned. It will never be perfect, though, and there will always be cases that require a little extra fixing up in a word processor.

Wock - to be honest, the next version is really a 2.0 in many ways. Certainly, it adds as much as a major update in something like Pages. However, a 2.0 version would require an upgade fee really, and I'm not at a stage where I want to do that. I want to keep offering good upgrades making 1.x the best it can be.

All the best,
Keith

Wock

Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:15 pm Post

[quote]Wock - to be honest, the next version is really a 2.0 in many ways. Certainly, it adds as much as a major update in something like Pages. However, a 2.0 version would require an upgade fee really, and I'm not at a stage where I want to do that. I want to keep offering good upgrades making 1.x the best it can be.

All the best,
Keith[/quote]

Maybe a .5 notation?

Most application version numbering I have seen is

X.X.X

Major Revision/Featuers . Minor Revision/Features and fixes . bugfixes only

Most would go from 1.1.0 to say 1.2.0 but in this case since it is a lot of revisions/features from the previous (1.11) but not enough for a major revision it could be the .5 denoting bigger changes from previous bug/enhancement fixes

Then bug patches would be 1.5.1 1.5.2 etc
when you add features it would go from say 1.5.7 to 1.6.0

This upgrade (if it contains most of what you have discussed) will contain many things that would denote a .5 upgrade and this would be this biggest overall update probably until 2.0 releases.

Such as slight modifications to the GUI (notebook paper background)
Keyboard shortcut changes and additions
Page Layout view
Interface changes (New project window and template iweb window feel)
Possibly new export features and enhancements
bug fixes
changes to certain functions
menu changes
etc

Just a thought but this next upgrade (which I am very excited about :-) ) will be the biggest change you have made since going from Gold (0.9) to SCR 1.0 (File format changes etc)

I also know you have ben working longer and harder on this upgrade than you have on all the previous 1.X patches. :-)

Your call but I would consider the x.x.x software version system to denote differences between fix changes and feature changes for easy references.

If you do adopt this idea then the next upgrade would start like this

1.5.a (alpha)
1.5.b (beta)
1.5.b2 (beta 2 etc)
1.5.RC1 (release candidate 1)
1.5.RC2 (release candidate 2)
1.5.0 (retail release)

Just a thought. :-)

Tr
Tripper

Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:18 pm Post

I'm not sure whether this is a beta problem as I've had it before. It's to do with returns and compiling to Word. I'm trying to get my completed book ready to send to my agent and am compiling it to Word. It all seems to go swimmingly until I read through the printed draft and noticed that some text that should start on a new line and be indented (mainly dialogue) runs on from the previous line instead. When I go back to Scrivener to check it it looks fine, yet when it gets to Word it seems to lose the new line.

Does anyone else have this problem? It's very frustrating.

Tripper

KB
Site Admin

Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:27 am Post

Could you send me an example text document that does this? Either a test Scrivener project or a text document I can import into Scrivener that will exhibit this behaviour when exported.
Thanks,
Keith