Scrivener 1.12 beta 1 now available for testing

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:20 pm Post

There isn't a bug here - they do work - you probably just have another application interfering with them, or some other command set to use these keys if you've customised keyboard shortcuts. But they definitely do work otherwise.

As for terminology - I don't see how that's inconsistent at all. Zooming changes the scale of something. You can zoom in or out, or you can change the scale manually. Totally consistent!

The shortcut keys are changing in the next update - but to the ones used in Pages. (Make Font Bigger/ Smaller uses cmd+ and cmd-, as in most apps, such as ones you mentioned.)

Thanks for your input and all the best,
Keith

sa
sampler

Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:32 am Post

Thanks. The change to the Pages style zoom shortcuts will make one less shortcut to remember.
I agree that "Text Scale" is not inconsistent terminology. I found the conflicting shortcuts in Sidenote, and I was able to change them. This brings up another request: a Menu Key preference tab in which the user can modify or turn off shortcuts. If SideNote had not had this ability I would have been stuck.

-Steve

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:11 am Post

You can use OS X's System Preferences to control the keyboard shortcuts for any application. You can't remove shortcuts in this way, but you can change them to something that won't conflict.
Hope that helps.
All the best,
Keith

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:15 pm Post

Actually, amongst OS X RTF Text system applications (the vast majority of Mac apps that allow text entry), the Cmd-Plus and Cmd-Hyphen shortcuts are the standard for font size manipulation. There is no standard for font zoom, as most applications do not have that feature.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Qa
Qazan

Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:50 pm Post

Does the current beta testing version have the binder colours as seen in the image on the latest blog? If so, I want to try it out; if not, when might that be in beta testing?

Wock

Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:27 pm Post

[quote="Qazan"]Does the current beta testing version have the binder colours as seen in the image on the latest blog? If so, I want to try it out; if not, when might that be in beta testing?[/quote]

KB has been working on the 1.5 update and has announced sometime early-mid 09 as its projected public release. It may release a little early as a public beta early 09 for everyone to test and iron out any of the bugs missed in the late alpha stages and early testing phases.

It will be announced on the forums (the public beta of 1.5 and then later the GM release of 1.5) when it is actually ready for Public Beta so I would check in periodically. KB would have more info.

DanielParadise

Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:35 pm Post

I've been enjoying 1.12 beta 1 so much that I mostly forget that it is a beta. However, I have recently come across a small error that has driven me back to Scrivener 1.11, at least for the time being. When I go to Edit Scrivenings and begin editing the manuscript, the screen wobbles with every insertion or deletion of text. I apologize that I can't describe the process as anything but wobbling but I can't think of it as any other kind of movement. I type a character and the screen moves minutely up and then down as if I were changing the margins. I have read about that problem on other posts but I couldn't find it on this Beta post. I will note however that the way I Edit Scrivenings is to select the manuscript icon in the binder and then hit Edit Scrivenings, but if I select all the scenes without selecting the manuscript icon this problem does not occur. I am using the latest version of Leopard, 10.5.6, on a first generation intel MacBook Pro. I will end with my devotion to Scrivener and a bow to its creator.

Dan.