Scrivener 1.12 beta 1 now available for testing

si
sixnon

Sun May 25, 2008 4:31 am Post

Not a lot of time as got a deadline rapidly approaching. Just had a repeatably crash trying to import the website below into the current Scrivener beta.

http://www.jonbarron.org/newsletters/05/06-06-2005.php

System is a MBP 2.2 C2D
2 Gig RAM

Probably something to do with the php. After the first crash Scrivener took some time to reindex search strings or some such. Sorry, I forgot I was using the beta and did not have console open or pay much attention at the time..

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Sun May 25, 2008 9:17 am Post

Thanks... Though typically, it worked fine for me, and I'm using exactly the same system! It may have been something else that happened before importing the page that then took effect during the import. If it happens again, send me the crash log or take a look at the console (or both - you can look at the console after the crash, the console will display stuff that happened before it was open, too).

Thanks for taking the time to report bugs!
All the best,
Keith

si
sixnon

Sun May 25, 2008 2:21 pm Post

[quote="KB"]Thanks for taking the time to report bugs!
All the best,
Keith
[/quote]

No worries, yes, I just tried it again this morning and it worked fine here as well. Will send the crash log through. For some reason thought your release of 1.12 out of beta was immanent and wanted to make sure you could squash that perceived bug. As i said, it was repeatable at the time.

Great software Keith (or is that Kayembi?). I actually worked through the tutorial after no small amount of poking around, and it has made a big difference to my workflow. Best of luck

[edit] actually just checked the crash log and there is nothing in the Scrivener crash log for yesterday. I should say that it was technically a hang for about 5 minutes after which time I Force Quite the program

juh

Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:01 am Post

crivener 1.12 beta (SK) crashed.

Project 1 open. Opened project 2 viewing a webpage with presumable embedded flash advertising. Returning to project 1 and trying to edit a normal text page. Some seconds Scrivener was not responsive and I heard the disk working. Then it crashes.
Attachments
crashlog.zip
Log attached
(5.77 KiB) Downloaded 17 times

Ex
ExecutiveEditor

Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:45 pm Post

I'm not sure whether this is a problem with the beta (which I'm running) or something else. But this morning, my book project failed to open. Double-clicking, choosing open from the menu and/or splash screen--nothing works.

In Console, I see the following errors each time I try to open it:

Aug 20 09:43:40 Extension-15 Scrivener[315]: *** -[NSKeyedUnarchiver initForReadingWithData:]: incomprehensible archive (0xffffffff, 0xffffffd8, 0xffffffff, 0xffffffe0, 0x0, 0x10, 0x4a, 0x46)
Aug 20 09:43:40 Extension-15 Scrivener[315]: .sdef error: Operation could not be completed. (NSXMLParserErrorDomain error 4.)
Aug 20 09:43:40 Extension-15 Scrivener[315]: line number: 2
Aug 20 09:43:40 Extension-15 Scrivener[315]: .sdef error: Operation could not be completed. (NSXMLParserErrorDomain error 4.)
Aug 20 09:43:40 Extension-15 Scrivener[315]: line number: 2
Aug 20 09:43:40 Extension-15 Scrivener[315]: An exception was thrown during execution of an NSScriptCommand...
Aug 20 09:43:40 Extension-15 Scrivener[315]: *** -[NSKeyedUnarchiver initForReadingWithData:]: incomprehensible archive (0xffffffff, 0xffffffd8, 0xffffffff, 0xffffffe0, 0x0, 0x10, 0x4a, 0x46)

Any ideas?

Edited to add: I should note that other files seem to be working fine, so it's likely a problem with this project alone.

su
suavito

Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:13 am Post

Duplicating files created empty files.

After relaunching [I]Scrivener[/I] duplicating worked like always.

I had used a TextSoap service on the files before my first try to duplicate them.

When I tried to recreate the bug I found out that if you duplicate a file before using the TextSoap service (on any file) duplicating not only works before using the service but afterwards as well.

If you use the service before you have used duplicating at least once the duplicated files are empty.

Looks more like a TextSoap bug or some strange interaction between the two apps.

be
beny

Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:14 pm Post

I recently had a strange problem where a project wouldn't open properly. [The app locked up]. KB was great about fixing it quickly; apparently it was fixed by just opening the project in a newer version of the App.

What I'm wondering is: when will we get to have that newer version of the app? I'd feel more comfortable in knowing that, whatever that bug was, it is fixed in the version I'm running. I realize a beta is a beta, but it has been some time now since the last beta release, and there is at least one nasty bug that affected me personally.

So, KB, when are we going to get to run that fixed version? :-D

ma
marianco

Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:48 pm Post

BUG:
The default text ruler tabs are NOT saved in the preference settings.
And they are NOT set when creating new documents.

This is a huge headache for what should be a basic feature.

I use tabs often to write outlines in documents and to structure my documents.

KB
Site Admin

Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:12 pm Post

I cannot recreate this (are you sure you are not in scriptwriting mode). At any rates I in the middle of overhauling the Preferences pane for the next update so everything seems to be working for then...

Please bear in mind that beta software will tend to have "huge headaches for what should be basic features" - that is why I recommend using the release version (which I see from your other post you are now using). I still cannot reproduce the issue in the 1.12 beta though...

Regards,
Keith

Ji
JimmyBoy

Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:13 pm Post

Hi, new Scrivener user here. Question: this beta's been out for eleven months now...will Scrivener continue to be updated?

Thanks!

Wock

Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:22 pm Post

[quote="JimmyBoy"]Hi, new Scrivener user here. Question: this beta's been out for eleven months now...will Scrivener continue to be updated?

Thanks![/quote]

Yes SCR will continue to be updated. KB has been busy working on the coding for the next update which will be the largest update so far to SCR with a slew of new proposed features. It has been reffered to as the 1.5 update. It has not reach public beta status (I think KB is still putting the finishing touches on all the requests and addressing issues noted with 1.11/1.12.

THere has not been an official time on when the 1.5 release will be ready but the rough estimate is sometime early half of 09.

1.12 was never officially released since it was rolled into the extra changes and features of 1.5 hence the delay.

Ji
JimmyBoy

Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:03 pm Post

Gotcha, thanks for the reply. I'm currently in my trial period, I just hope that if I do buy that I won't have to pay more $$ in a couple months 1.5 when it comes out!

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:26 pm Post

It has already been announced that 1.5 will be a free update for everyone.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Wock

Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:47 pm Post

[quote="JimmyBoy"]Gotcha, thanks for the reply. I'm currently in my trial period, I just hope that if I do buy that I won't have to pay more $$ in a couple months 1.5 when it comes out![/quote]

1.5 is a free update. I think I remember Keith saying that he would only charge for full updates (going from version 1.x to version 2.0) and although 1.5 is by far the most massive update to the 1.x version he is still keeping it free of charge so if you purchased today you would not have to pay anymore $$$ until 2.0 comes out (long time down the road).

sa
sampler

Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:26 pm Post

OS X 10.4.11 PB G4

1. Bug: The hotkeys for Zoom In and Out (opt-cmd-up arrow), (opt-comd-down arrow) in the Editor SubMenu of the View Menu do not work.
2. Inconsistent terminology: In Full Screen Mode, Zooming text In and Out is called setting the "Text Scale".

3. Non-standard hot keys for Zooming Text: In most apps (I just reached for Firefox, Nisus Writer Pro, Journler, Mail, NoteTaker, Mellel, Bookends, Safari, iCab ), zooming text in and out is done by some version of cmd-plus and cmd-minus. In Scrivener these are the keys for Zooming the Window in and Out.

So--when you fix the bug, please switch the keys for Zooming the Window Zooming Text.

Thanks