Scrivener 1.12 beta 1 now available for testing

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:01 am Post

Hi all,

1.12 is now ready as a beta. You can download it here:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/dlbet ... _beta1.zip

Important Note: This is beta software. Please do not download this unless you are prepared to report on bugs and keep discussion of this beta restricted to this thread.

Tiger users: I have not had chance to test this beta on Tiger yet. There is no change to the file format so it is perfectly safe to check this beta out, but if you find that there are any major issues with it on Tiger, please check the Console for errors (see below), report them in this thread, and then return to the release version. There shouldn't be any issues with Tiger...

To install, just unzip and replace the version of Scrivener in your Applications folder with this one.

I would be very grateful if you could especially check the new start panel. This doesn't appear unless you close all of your project windows, or if you start Scrivener with no recent projects to be opened (or with "Open Recent Projects" unchecked in the Preferences). The way it should work is this: if there is no project window - because all project windows have been closed, for instance - the start panel should appear. As soon as a project window is created or opened, the start panel should disappear. The start panel is based on the ones in GarageBand and iMovie HD. I like it, and it should reduce the number of support e-mails I get from people confused about how there is no window when you first launch Scrivener.

On a related note, please check how the tutorial now works (the tutorial itself hasn't been updated as yet, though, please note). If you select the tutorial via Help > Tutorial, Scrivener should now ask you to save the tutorial to disk if it hasn't already. This should reduce the number of support e-mails I get from people wanting to know how to reset the tutorial to its "vanilla" state or having permissions problems. I hope.

As always with betas, please help by doing the following:

1) Whilst using the beta, try to have Console.app open at the same time
As soon as anything strange happens in the beta, have a look at the log in Console.app. Anything strange should appear in bold. Let me know if anything strange does happen and copy and paste the log for me to see. This is often invaluable.

2) Post anything related to the beta HERE, not anywhere else on the forum
Please post bug reports or anything else related to the 1.12 beta as a reply to this thread. (Only moderators can create new topics in the Beta Testing forum because I don't want it getting clogged up with individual bug reports - hence reports should be posted as replies.)

Note that I still have a fair list of things to get through before 1.12 becomes official, so it is unlikely to be ready properly for a month or so, but I am keen for users to ensure that the start panel and features implemented so far (see below) work fine.

All the best,
Keith

Change list between 1.11 and 1.12 beta 1
• Got rid of non-contiguous layout used by text view on Leopard, as this may have been responsible for certain text colour drawing problems in full screen.
• Fixed bug whereby auto-numbering upon Compile Draft in a project containing hundreds of auto-number tags could consume so much memory that there would be none left and Scrivener would hang - and the computer would freeze.
• Added bold, italic and underline buttons to the ruler for the main editors.
• Added toolbar icon for tables.
• You can now apply arbitrary highlight colours by selecting “Arbitraryâ€

antony

Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:42 am Post

You never cease to amaze me.

KB wrote:• Script mode is now saved per-document rather than per-pane.

Thaaaaaaaaaaaank yoooooooooooooooooou :)
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

No
Novatlan

Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:27 am Post

Great :)
I really missed the start panel when switching from Scrivener Gold!

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:03 am Post

As predicted, Tiger inconsistencies with project search populating local search appear to be fixed. Yay!
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:21 am Post

Since Wed. 13th June, 2007, I have never once, opened up Scrivener, without sitting there looking at the screen, waiting for something to happen. Usually 2/3/4 secs pass by, before the penny drops. This sad state of affairs, however, does serve a useful purpose: on a scale of 2to4, 2 is a good indication of me being as in touch with reality, as I`m ever likely to be. Whereas, 4, on the other hand, means my mind is otherwise engaged elsewhere, toying with abstractions etc.etc. thus indicating to need to `get a grip`.

What the hell am I gonna do now?:?
vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

je
jebni

Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:39 am Post

If you (1) use a text colour that is other than default black and (2) also want to use an Arbitrary Highlight colour, highlighting can never be turned off after the first highlight, and the Arbitrary Highlight colour always immediately gets set to the text colour of wherever the insertion point happens to be.

E.g. If I use dark grey text, select some text, turn on Arbitrary Highlight and set the highlight colour to pink, the initial highlight works for the selected text, but any subsequent text typed at all in the document -- or even any text selection I make -- is immediately converted to dark grey on a dark grey background.

db
dberreby

Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:37 pm Post

Novatlan wrote:Great :)

Just goes to show you, there is no pleasing everyone: I LOVED the absence of any window until I decided to do something. Made me feel like a grown up or something, I guess.

This is not a complaint. Just an appreciation of what it's like to be in Keith's position. With or without a start panel, Scrivener is terrific.

David

bobembry
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:47 pm Post

dberreby wrote:
Novatlan wrote:Great :)

Just goes to show you, there is no pleasing everyone: I LOVED the absence of any window until I decided to do something. Made me feel like a grown up or something, I guess.

This is not a complaint. Just an appreciation of what it's like to be in Keith's position. With or without a start panel, Scrivener is terrific.

David

When I open Scrivener (rather than a specific project using LaunchBar), I want access to the Recent Projects menu and it is still available.

Bob
Preparing for Real Life Adventures http://rlaexp.com/memo.html. It's impossible to work on things that aren't on one's mental radar at the necessary point in time.

db
dberreby

Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:00 pm Post

bobembry wrote:When I open Scrivener (rather than a specific project using LaunchBar), I want access to the Recent Projects menu and it is still available.

Bob

Sure, this is what I do too. It's just an aesthetic tic of mine -- I liked the austerity of seeing only the Scrivener ID in the menu bar. It is no way a problem that there is now a splash at startup. I was just reminded again that tastes differ about these things. ``There are 4 and 60 ways of constructing tribal lays, and every single one of them is right.''

This approach makes Keith's life easier, so I am all for it.

David

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:13 pm Post

bobembry wrote:When I open Scrivener (rather than a specific project using LaunchBar), I want access to the Recent Projects menu and it is still available.

You know with LB you can tab the spacebar on an application you have just selected, and that will reveal the contents of its "Recent" menu, right? Then you can just select the name of the project, press enter, and it will open it as if you double-clicked on the project.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

KB
Site Admin

Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:28 pm Post

jebni - confirmed. Thanks. They use the same colour panel and this causes clashes. Will look into it.
Best,
Keith

br
bradford653

Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:11 pm Post

On Tiger, if you select a keyword and click on the 'Search' button from the keyword hud, the search term is placed in the main window's search field, but the search is not actually executed until you hit enter from the main window search field. This is now the behavior from both full-screen and normal modes.

Is this the intended behavior?

KB
Site Admin

Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:15 pm Post

No, that's not the intended behaviour - thanks for picking that up. Like I said, I haven't tested on Tiger yet, but I most likely would have missed that anyway, seeing as it works on Leopard and I wouldn't have expected it to work any differently on Tiger. Weird. I'll look into it.
Thanks again,
Keith

br
bradford653

Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:17 pm Post

On Tiger, I get two Help menus under Scrivener. The first is the Help menu as one would expect it, while the other simply contains a single "Scrivener Help" item.

br
bradford653

Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:20 pm Post

KB wrote:No, that's not the intended behaviour - thanks for picking that up. Like I said, I haven't tested on Tiger yet, but I most likely would have missed that anyway, seeing as it works on Leopard and I wouldn't have expected it to work any differently on Tiger. Weird. I'll look into it.

I haven't made the leap to Leopard yet. Would like to, but haven't been able to convince myself that there's anything overwhelmingly enticing about it. Will continue to report bugs as I encounter them.